Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Discussion
Ferrite ring on ESC

Hi all,

maybe somebody can quickly enlighten me?

I run several Align BL35X speedcontrollers. These came all in the box, with a ferrite ring in the lead to the receiver.

Now I have bought an Align RCE-BL35P which looks the same like the previous BL35X, has virtually exactly the same "manual" leaflet, and the same specs.

The only difference that I can see, is that the "X" has a fixed supply voltage to the receiver, the "P" seems to have an adjustable voltage.

BUT: This controller comes without a ferrite ring, and the lead to the receiver is substantially shorter too (so much, that if I would fit a ferrite ring, I would need to use an extension lead)

In the "manual" nothing is stated about this ferrite ring.

Do I need it? I cannot afford to take risks at the moment, but I do ot fancy waiting for a ring and extension lead either.

If anyone can tell me whether I need the ring or not, I would be happy.

TIA,

Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
those rings cancel out RFI and EMI. do you need it? no, but if you have interference those rings do help. maybe they incorporated it into the new design internally?
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
I know what they are for....

The question is: since it is not supplied with the ESC anymore, and the length of the "servo-lead" has changed, does anyone know for sure that some other countermeasure against RFI and EMI has been incorporated in this design?

Oh... forgot to mention: I am still using an old 35 MHz radio....

Brgds, Bert

EDIT: does anyone know how to set that receiver supply voltage? I seem to remember having read somewhere on this forum about it, but cannot remember where. It is not stated in the instruction leaflet.
Last edited by Brutus1967; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, NJ, West Orange
Joined Aug 2007
799 Posts
For sure? No. However, Align claims so:

Quote:
T BEC power outlet adapts a Japanese made specialty polymer aluminum electrolytic capacitor. It porvides better noise filtering capability than other BL ESC in the market, and moreover to give more stable performance of R/C receiver and BEC.
nybbler is offline Find More Posts by nybbler
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Mmmmm, nothing like a mouthful of computer-translated Asian marketing gibberish to inspire confidence.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:32 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Mmmmm, nothing like a mouthful of computer-translated Asian marketing gibberish to inspire confidence.
That is exactly why I am asking....

Nowadays a lot of electronics are following the latest trends, such as: for 2.4 GHz it is not necessary, so just let's skip it so we can save 1 ferrite ring and 4 inches of triple wire lead.....

I was hoping, somebody would be able to give a better, or maybe experience based view on this...

As it is now, I probably need to find a ring and some extension lead....

Brgds, Bert
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, NJ, West Orange
Joined Aug 2007
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
It's actually not entirely gibberish. There really is such a thing as a "polymer aluminum electrolytic capacitor" (and Panasonic calls them "specialty"), and they really are used to filter noise from switching power supplies.
nybbler is offline Find More Posts by nybbler
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:10 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Quote:
There really is such a thing...
I don't dispute that. But we're also accustomed to exaggerated/unsupported marketing claims from hobby manufacturers.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Even so, the problem is: The older versions came with a ring factory supplied and entwined in the control-lead.

The new ones don't....

I am fully aware that the modern 2.4 GHz systems are less sensitive to noise, but my dilemma is: is this ring left out because the new noise filtering is good enough for even the old 35 (or 72 or whichever band) MHz systems, or is it left out because of some sort of "everybody is using 2.4 GHz or if not, they should, so we push them by leaving out the ring" mentality

If somebody can confirm that the new "poly-Alu-blah blah" components really make the ring obsolete even for XX MHz radio set-ups, that would be of great help. Otherwise I have to order a ring and an extension lead...

Thanks, Bert
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:57 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
You can buy a ferrite ring at any electronics shop for a few cents. You could also salvage one from an old computer motherboard or power supply. IMHO, just do it. It can't hurt to have it on the line in case the Japanese cap isn't sufficient for your radio system.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,992 Posts
Go 2.4!

I used to use a ferrite ring on my RX lead on my 450 when I was on 35MHz, but consistently suffered from interference at one site. After changing over to 2.4G, with a super-cheap FrSky module and RX, I've not bothered with the ring, and haven't had any issues. It was the best $35 I've ever spent in this hobby.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:47 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Just in case somebody is curious: the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it turns out, that for 35 MHz even these new and improved components do not do the job.... You definitely need the ferrite ring with the old equipment.

Brgds, Bert
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:26 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Just in case somebody is curious: the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it turns out, that for 35 MHz even these new and improved components do not do the job.... You definitely need the ferrite ring with the old equipment.

Brgds, Bert
+1
switching power supplies are highly efficent but make terrible noise, linear regulators are extreamly quite but waste lots of energy turning it to heat. Switching supplies operate in the kHz region and make most of their noise at frequencies at kHz to MHz frequency range, as we switch to digital technology at 2.4 GHz things are becoming less affected by EMI. If you are using 35 MHz or 72 MHz you should use a torriod ring and filter caps. Don't cheap out on this, I would likely look for a different ESC with built in suppression.

Good luck
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:39 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I had the ferrite ring break in a crash landing I had a week ago. It was part of a CC 75A esc that was only being used as an esc. I use a separate BEC and electronics battery in my large scale helis. The funny thing about the crash is that the helicopter flys better than it ever did, and aside from any damage to the body (cosmetic mostly), the only damaged parts were a wood adaptor plate (no affect on flight), broken landing gear (again, no affect on flight), and the broken toroid coil (could it have affected control response? I doubt it but the heli has changed in how it responds). One thing for certain, I am not putting another one back on the esc lead, lol. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:52 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Not denying your observations though, please don't get me wrong, but... that is something to wonder about.... how is the ferrite ring to influence helicopter response? It should just filter out HF on the servo leads, nothing more....

I just tried it without, but the first test flight, with full extended antenna and in a range of maybe 10 ft max, the helicopter suddenly changed RPM and gave some twitches. Could land safely though.
Put in a ring (needed a short extension cord for that) and further testing was positive, the heli has its first hour of instruction time with the new ESC behind it.

Did not notice any change in response.
The only heli with separate BEC, I have a ring in both leads (ESC and UBEC), just to be sure, because I found that even PCM does not fully safeguard...

Brgds, Bert