SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:11 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I wanted to install the Guardian in to a Freewing SU35. This EDF is huge in size and expensive as well. I need a stabilisation system that works well.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts
Not everyone has a transmitter that goes from -100% to +100%. Leave out the negative numbers. Remember there is more than one manufacture of radios.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:54 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I wanted to install the Guardian in to a Freewing SU35. This EDF is huge in size and expensive as well. I need a stabilisation system that works well.
Hope you are not like this bloke. He has never flown any plane before yet he takes his brand new Freewing SU35 out to maiden it on a windy day. Guess what happened.
SU-35 Destroyed In Seconds (3 min 58 sec)
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Hope you are not like this bloke. He has never flown any plane before yet he takes his brand new Freewing SU35 out to maiden it on a windy day. Guess what happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNiRDqVsNFk
Looks like he rotated before haveing enough ground speed. He also had the VT turned on during take off not too smart
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.T View Post
H
That is very strange. It sounds like you may be seeing an extremely rare bug that. The behavior should go away after a reboot. If it doesn't, could you please open a ticket with our support team?
Indeed, two reboots were done after f/w updates, the first when it rolled back to 1.09 due to the PC app being too old. When I updated the app, it installed the latest f/w. I do believe the pulses were occurring before these reboots.

If it returns, I'll test it out some more and open a ticket with proper information.

Cheers & thank you for the reply (among so many posts!)
Andre Germain is offline Find More Posts by Andre Germain
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Not everyone has a transmitter that goes from -100% to +100%. Leave out the negative numbers. Remember there is more than one manufacture of radios.
What number(s) does your tx use for servo travel?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Stabilization “Master Gain” Control

The Guardian’s Gain input channel, when mapped to a knob (or slider) on your transmitter, serves as a Master Gain control. The Master Gain adjusts the individual Pitch/Roll/Yaw gains simultaeneously and serves as an easy way to tune all three.

If you have an RC controller that has an analog knob (or slider), this can be mapped to the Gain channel to allow for in-flight gain adjustment. The higher the Gain setting, the stronger the Guardian’s stabilization effect will be.

The knob (or slider) will give you the ability to smoothly transition between stabilized and un-stabilized flight. Additionally, since changing airspeed can change your airframe’s flight characteristics, it is often helpful to be able to adjust the gain in real-time.

When this feature is used with 2D mode, the stabilizer’s control characteristics vs. the Master Gain setting is as follows:

-100% (1.1ms servo pulse): Stabilization is OFF.

-99% to ~0%: Medium Stabilization. As the Gain is increased the model becomes more stable. Depending on your Gain setting, the model may still be rolled by strong stick movements or turbulence

~0% to +100% (1.9ms servo pulse): Maximum stabilization. The model should not roll over when in this range. Servo commands will become exaggerated, leading to tighter control of the plane. Oscillations may occur depending on the airframe.

The ranges given above apply when the Guardian gain dials are set to about +/-50 from centered and can vary depending on the individual Pitch/Roll/Yaw gain dial settings.

Warning: Be careful while tuning the Master Gain. Some airframes may oscillate very strongly at higher gains, possibly damaging themselves or becoming uncontrollable. To avoid strong oscillations, increase the Master Gain slowly and reduce it as soon as oscillations are noticed.
Note: If the individual axis gain dials are set to lower values, the effect of the Overall Gain knob will be reduced, and vice versa.
Note: If no connection is made to the Guardian’s Gain input, ~40% Overall Gain will be available.
Note: When adding a Master Gain after flying and adjusting Guardian without a Master Gain, start with a 40%Master Gain setting. 40% with 0% being "off" and 100% being "max" Master Gain.

Less confusing? Just a re-write of the manual.
Last edited by t.edwards; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts
My Tx servo travel goes from 0% to 100%. NOT - 100%
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
I guess that's why 1.1ms and 1.9 ms are included.

What tx do you have?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Wiki - in reply to JohnT's question.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts
Futaba 6ex
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:23 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
This is more of a difference in how people understand things and possibly how the manufacturers label it than any actual difference in the transmitted signal. This illustrates how using even the simplest seeming numbers in the description confuse people.

I am curious though, what is it in your transmitter that is showing 0-100 and not -100 +100, is that how the servo monitor screen is labeled?
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Futaba 6ex
From the Futaba 6ex manual:

"4. Next you set the left wing to channel 1 (aileron) setting. Press the SELECT key to display
the “CH1” and flashing “%” sign. Use the DATA INPUT lever to set the percentage of elevator
travel rate from -100% to +100%".

It says the same "-100% to +100%" for rudder, elevator etc so I don't know what your problem is other than having a tx that won't easily enable mode or master gain on a Guardian because it doesn't have a 3 position switch, and a knob or slider.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Can the Guardian be used on a 9X with a FriSky conversion 8 channel?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Can the Guardian be used on a 9X with a FriSky conversion 8 channel?
Does it have an available channel with a 3 position switch and an available channel operable with a knob?