Old Oct 17, 2001, 11:50 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
Rutan's Boomerang

Hi

Has anyone out there ever considered designing Rutan's
Boomerang for a twin speed 400? Not too long ago, someone
designed a 81" span twin IC which won 2nd place in the Model Airplane News contest. What would the design requirements be for this plane?

Thanks

Al

atsiang is offline Find More Posts by atsiang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2001, 05:32 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Do you know what the advantages are for an asymetrical design such as this, if any?

If nothing else, it is interesting in appearance.
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Oct 22, 2001, 08:30 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
You find me the plans and I'll build it!
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Oct 23, 2001, 01:01 AM
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
I was considering building this plane just purely for its looks. I don't think there will be any advantage of building this plane for its asymmetry. As you may know, Burt Rutan built this plane with asymmetry so that if one engines quits, the plane still flies straight without rudder input whereas with other conventional twin, an engine out can create a dangerous situation. I'm considering a 50" span design with twin speed 400. I do not know of any available plans but I'm hoping that the current CAD drawings available on the internet will be enough to create a plan.

Al
Old Oct 23, 2001, 11:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Hmmmm..are there really CAD drawings posted on the internet for the Boomerang?

WHERE would they be?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 26, 2001, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
The CAD plans, though rather crude, can be found if
you do a search in google with the key words Rutan
and Boomerang. I've seen a few places with the
drawings but I do not know the exact sites.

Al
Old Oct 27, 2001, 01:04 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
I actually have done that....and have only found a few small .jpg renderings of some cad type drawings. Not .dxf and too small to be vectorized with Wintopo or similar.

Did you really find some good CAD drawings of the Boomerang on the 'net?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 28, 2001, 08:41 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Has anybody ever built a replica of one of Rutan's ships? All of his designs that I can think of aren't exactly easy builds mainly due to the fact his planes rarely have a lot of wing area. If anybody does have one its gotta use pretty light equipment and or fly pretty fast. It would be interesting to see a model of his Prodeus aircraft. I've seen it fly on two ocassions....very, very interesting aircraft!

-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Oct 29, 2001, 12:45 AM
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
The only diagrams I found are probably the ones that you have already seen. I haven't found any true CAD drawings. The only thing that I've seen that I start with is the one with the front, side and top view of the Boomerang.

It would definitely be great to see planes such as the voyager, proteus and boomerang.

Al
Old Oct 29, 2001, 01:18 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
I recall having an issue of popular mechanics that featured the Boomerang. It had top and side views of the plane to display its asymmetry. They weren't exactly CAD drawings but they were good enough for basic design. I think my issue got thrown away, but there might be one floating around in an Ezoners garage.
That was one interesting looking plane.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old Oct 29, 2001, 01:32 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
man, looks like a nasa designer was up late re-designing a dual p-51 as a space shuttle while taking lots of crack... you'd definitely stand out at the flying field with THAT!

if you use ailerons, wouldn't the rolls be very uneven? seems like is would look VERY odd flying in the sky... but then again, I want to build a payen fighter one day!

I think something very important to establish is the cg. where should it be along the wing? the main fuse? and if so, how would you counterweight it? a LOT of questions have to be answered before you start building, even if you have a plan...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Oct 29, 2001, 02:13 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AirVenture
Has anybody ever built a replica of one of Rutan's ships?<--snip> If anybody does have one its gotta use pretty light equipment and or fly pretty fast.
-Brett
Several years ago I had a 1/3.5 scale Quickie. Wingspan was 56" and it weighed 9-1/2 lbs. It flew in a very scale manner on my Saito 65. I was worried at first because of the weight, but it was never a problem either on take off or landing.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:27 AM
OCD
King, NC
Joined Aug 2000
488 Posts
Boomerang

This last year or so ago RC Modeler Mag held a contest where people submitted photos. The Boomerang was in the mix and I think won third. A big yellow float plane won. Sorry I can't be more specific but the Boomerang has been built and if you could go back through the issues you could probably contact the author. I bet if you called RCM they would help you.

I hope you build it.

Marcus W.
Wright is offline Find More Posts by Wright