HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Though I never was involved, the huge DC RC club had a good annual do, where the local county gov't was invited to an airshow day. This was, I believe, a mix of an airshow - the club had plenty of huge and spectacular models - and letting the local government folk have a go at flying RC. Plenty of trainers and buddy boxes on hand, of course.

Not a bad idea - get in good with the PooBaas well ahead of trouble.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Jan 2006
53 Posts
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association used to say an airport (full scale) was closing every week. Politicians only care about votes - not what's right. More encroaching suburb dwellers than pilots = no more airport unless you got really savvy people on your side.
8KCAB is offline Find More Posts by 8KCAB
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwahl View Post
There are always jerks that have to change things when they move into a new area just to make themselves feel empowered and important, when they are usually impotent wimps that have been pests their whole lives just to feel like they matter.
Bingo! Love it. One thing I particularly enjoy doing is making people squirm - mightn't sound nice but if somone wants to have a go at me then I'll have a go right back. The best part is seeing that they didn't think you'd respond at all, and are caught completely flat-footed

Cracksmeup - Hell yeha mate, come on over and we'll light up the barbeque. Actually, we'll head out to the farm where we can fly! Plus the barbeque out there is a 2 ton heap of wood and will burn all night long. Ah, summer... love it!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, UT, Garden City
Joined Aug 2011
403 Posts
"Ah summer...love it"

I am so jealous!! As I type this, it is 6 damn degrees and snow and blowin' Good for building planes indoors, but I'm starting to feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining! Wifey is starting to get nervous

I need to start snowbirding to Australia when its winter here! Ausies are our kind of people!

And BTW, my "second hobby" is ruffling the feathers of nosey busy bodies,so when people have tried giving us a load of crap over our planes, they usually end up suprised at the results! Funny how those that are so quick to try and shut down our fun, usually have yapping dogs, marauding cats, smart mouth kids etc..... . Nobody tries to run their life for them!
gmwahl is offline Find More Posts by gmwahl
Last edited by gmwahl; Feb 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Bingo! Love it. One thing I particularly enjoy doing is making people squirm - mightn't sound nice but if somone wants to have a go at me then I'll have a go right back. The best part is seeing that they didn't think you'd respond at all, and are caught completely flat-footed

Cracksmeup - Hell yeha mate, come on over and we'll light up the barbeque. Actually, we'll head out to the farm where we can fly! Plus the barbeque out there is a 2 ton heap of wood and will burn all night long. Ah, summer... love it!

Cheers - boingk
I have seen alot of the world while in the US navy and building subdivisions when i got out .I have seen most of the US on my motorcycle but never got a chance to see your country .I have it my to do list for a long time now . It would cost to much to ship my harley but iam sure i could rent one when i get there. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
I havent read the whole thread (yet), so forgive me if this has been mentioned...but has anyone wondered why manufacturers don't include the plans with ARFs? I mean, if you damage or crash it...you're forced to either buy replacement parts or cut your own parts as close to the originals that you can. I can see the point of them wanting to sell replacements, but what about making the plans available after the ARF is discontinued? I find myself at all the swap shops drooling over the nice ARF kits available for good prices but then always reconsider when thinking about what happens when it inevitably needs repair. Perfect example: Just the other week there was a nice Great Planes 1/3 Pitts ARF w/ moki engine in great shape for $250. I nearly bought it (should have), but one thing that made me reconsider is the simple fact of not being able to get plans or replacement parts, since it has been discontinued.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
I havent read the whole thread (yet), so forgive me if this has been mentioned...but has anyone wondered why manufacturers don't include the plans with ARFs? I mean, if you damage or crash it...you're forced to either buy replacement parts or cut your own parts as close to the originals that you can. I can see the point of them wanting to sell replacements, but what about making the plans available after the ARF is discontinued? I find myself at all the swap shops drooling over the nice ARF kits available for good prices but then always reconsider when thinking about what happens when it inevitably needs repair. Perfect example: Just the other week there was a nice Great Planes 1/3 Pitts ARF w/ moki engine in great shape for $250. I nearly bought it (should have), but one thing that made me reconsider is the simple fact of not being able to get plans or replacement parts, since it has been discontinued.
It came with a Moki engine included for $250? Aren't those engines worth a minimum of 2 grand?
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
If you can scratch build planes repairing arfs are not hard to fix .You can use a good rib to make copys and the fuse can be put back good as new with a little thought. You probobly should have bought the bibe and if it crashed then worry about fixing it. Iam not saying arfs are a good thing but if you want one dont be affraid about fixing them.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
A Moki 2.10 is worth between $175 and $300.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
ARF buyers generally arent builders (I did say "genereally") and plans would just increas the cost. Also when they crash (the wooden ones), if you have any building experience, you have the sizes and parts right in front of you. The MOKI radails are big dollar ones.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
I think one way to get people back into building would be have a contest at your field. Fly what you bring, only it CAN NOT be a ARF or RTF. It has to be scratch built or at least built from a kit.

Then have fun while all the guys with their TOY airplanes can only sit and watch.

And give away some nice trophies too.
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countilaw View Post
I think one way to get people back into building would be have a contest at your field. Fly what you bring, only it CAN NOT be a ARF or RTF. It has to be scratch built or at least built from a kit.

Then have fun while all the guys with their TOY airplanes can only sit and watch.

And give away some nice trophies too.
My old club would not allow arfs in scale flyins but that was years ago ,i dont know if they have changed the rule or not. I have not seen any arfs at top gun or any other big scale events over the years . joe
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:47 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Scale and ARF, in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Scale and ARF, in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
Please explain 'oxymoron' in relation to these -

Hanger 9 Giant Scale ARF
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Please explain 'oxymoron' in relation to these -

Hanger 9 Giant Scale ARF
In the same league as a more fashionable shirt, a trendy table lamp, newer golfsticks or a bigger, costlier bee-em than your neighbour.

'STB' - 'Stuff To Buy' for good little consumers

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Closed Thread