HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2014, 04:13 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,554 Posts
I was at a local field yesterday. Whittier Narrows. Ex. B H Pete and Nitro Planes do their Demo flights there. And I was telling a Non R/C Grouper about R/C G . And the most popular thread there.
This one . I was describing the Polaris . And he said," like this" And he showed me this scratch built thrust deferentially controlled twin. I was amazed at the resemblance.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 07:24 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,554 Posts
Here's hoping all Americans ( and others )are celebrating a nice holiday. The rest of the world can be thankful you're not on our list of bad guys. I apologize that my government thinks it's the World Police , but hey, some body has to be.And since it is O T T. Have a smile from this video I recently found
The Guillermo Drone (3 min 29 sec)
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,743 Posts
Hi guys,

New to this thread as I just ordered the XL from Aero. 1689 pages to read through. Yikes !

Was intending to use my spare Grayson Super Mega V2, 2550kv motor in this plane. On 4s, it will pull 490 watts and generate 38 oz of thrust with an APC 6x4e but could prop up to 7x5 . Puts it just above a 1:1 for thrust to weight. Is this enough power for this plane? I'll use at least a 40amp esc.

Anyone try using the Grayson Super Mega V2 on this plane ?

or

Does it fly better with a lower kv motor like the Suppo 2810-9 with a bigger prop as suggested ? I also have an Turnigy SK3 2830 1130kv motor available.

Thanks,

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,773 Posts
Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer

I did extensive testing when Scott first developed the model in 2011. You don't want to go below about 1400kv, which is about where the 2810-9 is. That motor is just right on 3s with a Master airscrew 8x6x3 or APC 8x6.

The Greyson motor should work but will be less efficient with the small prop. Lots of power but more drain on the battery if you push it hard.

Keep in mind that this is not an ultra high performance model. It's light, docile and slightly slower than the regular Polaris and doesn't benefit much from a bunch of extra power. So don't go to extremes!

It's a terrific model to fly! I'm sure you've watched the video on the ModelAero website.

By the way, my preferred battery was 3s 2800 to 3000, 25 to 30C. I say was because radio failure ended the life of mine. I have another kit and will build again.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Yesterday at 07:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,554 Posts
Hi Hawk you're gonna love it.
Oh and D 66 is the Polaris answer man . Just ask him your questions and skip the 1600 pages.
Last edited by alpea 41; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.