SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:36 PM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Help!
Stingray drawings Wanted

Hi I'me looking for drawings of stingray Gerry Anderson one.
I have a model that I can scale up to project size. But it would save loads of time if someone has already done it.
I would like working model to be approx 1200mm long.
This gives me loads of space inside to get all the gear in.
Thanks in advance
Hargard RoV builder
hargard is offline Find More Posts by hargard
Last edited by hargard; Mar 20, 2006 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Title
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2006, 10:19 AM
Joined Jun 2004
11 Posts
Also looking for these drawings / Project Underway

Hi,

I also am a Stingray fan as you can tell by my nice name. I am currently working with Rick Teskey on a Stingray mold. The project has been on hold for awhile due to me losing my workshop. Rick had started on this project and due to my interest he allowed me to take his plug to do some modifications to it as the drawings we had first where wrong. So I shall be working on it agin during the warm months when I can go outside and shape the plug as required.

I also have contracted a person to develope a set of line drawings of stingray from a Stingray model I purchased from a sci-fi model company in California a few years ago. I can provide thier website once I find it for you if you'd like. I'm hoping my drawings will be done soon and soon after that I hope to have a new mold made from these drawings.
Troy Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Troy Tempest
Old Apr 05, 2006, 06:45 PM
Califorina
Joined Feb 2002
213 Posts
I these are 2 old pic from some website on here or in Uk

Mike
Weldman is offline Find More Posts by Weldman
Old Apr 05, 2006, 11:43 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
I bought a Stingray kit made in China a couple years ago. It was motorized, and supposedly would dive and surface. It looks pretty good but didn't work worth a @#$&. Still, if a person were determined, it might make a nice mini-sub (it's about 10 inches long). You find them on EBay now and again.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:50 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-STINGRAY-AT...QQcmdZViewItem
that's what I'm talking about.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old May 30, 2006, 12:56 PM
Longueuil, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
13 Posts
kit??

found a link for you in there you will have a mail adresse i think he make a kit but i am not sure
http://culttvman.com/andrew_macpherson_s_stingray.html
paul242 is offline Find More Posts by paul242
Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
I have an original copy of the Stingray 3D plans ,in 144th scale i belive, if you are still looking for these ?,plus i have the details of what the Aquasprites look like,when they have left the main ship.
The plans are based on the on the model seen in the end sequence of the show
NB:All the japanese kits,by Midori,IMAI,paramount have all been wowfully inaccurate !one of the nicest models has been the WAVE one,also there was a 3 foot kit (very limited run !) some 10 years ago.The finest kit was that done by Airfix in 1964 in 144th scale,as mail order offer in association with Lyons maid Ice creame Sea jet lolly.T,an exquisite kit,his is a direct copy of the miniture seen in the tunnel just after launch.Fortunatly i also own one of these,being lucky enough to find one some years ago.
Stingray 3 is offline Find More Posts by Stingray 3
Last edited by Stingray 3; Jun 11, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Thanks

No thanks
I have been given a set of drawings for the stingray model.
I am 3/4 of the way converting them into working drawings.
But a big thanks for the offer .

Regards Hargard RoV builder
hargard is offline Find More Posts by hargard
Old Jun 13, 2006, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
hargard Is the 4 foot shell going to be something of a "personal project",or might this be somthing that will be offered as a shell to intrested partys,when it reaches such a stage ?,if so keep me posted !
here is a pic of the orginal 4 foot model,as it looked in 1964,note the effects model was even fitted with,front,rear horizontal & virtical pivoting fins !.The landing skies were also telescopic,both aqasprites were removable & free standing.
But as the pupetry work was so complex to make it give the resembence of it manovering/steering ,this feature was only ever used to full effect in one episode.

Stingray 3 is offline Find More Posts by Stingray 3
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:37 PM
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
I am building a 1/20 th scale Stingray. This works out to 52" LOA based on Info from The various websites and the Cutaway book of Gerry Anderson Vehicles. Be advised however the Max beam given is off when compared to photos of the various studio models used. Be aware there are a minimum of FIVE different size models used in the production and no two are alike! The large one in the photos here was very seldom used the most common used model was the 18 incher. Also note the color is a very early paint scheme that was NOT used as the two shades of blue did not register as seperate shades of grey on the prelvent B&W TV sets of the time even though this was filmed entirely in color from day one. For details of my build go to
www.SubPirates.com under the build threads.
This group specializes in R/C submarines of all types and is a great resource well worth the dues!

John
John Anderson is offline Find More Posts by John Anderson
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2004
11 Posts
Stingray 3 - Love to have any files you can share with me.
Hargard - How's your progress going and would you share your files with me as well.
Troy Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Troy Tempest
Old Jul 06, 2006, 02:28 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
Oh my this brings back fond memories... Man, would I love to have one of these!
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Jul 08, 2006, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
thought that i would share my Stingray story. Many years ago i scrath built my own using the small doyusha as a start. no idea how accurate mine was, think i scaled it up to about 3ft+-. powered it by making a y out of plastic pipe and put a large prop in the leg, ther arms were the intakes. worked fine on the surface in a straight line, but when it turned it would roll and one of the intakes would come out the water and she would stall. diving i never realy got to grips with the diving. had several weeks of trials, notice weeks. on it final outing i reckon i had it cracked(she was dynamic), got one run were she stayed true and level. gouhght her back to the side and made some adjustments to the trim, head over the radio box WHICH CONTAINED THE BATTERY. took her out again went to dive her and boom. the water gyser was at least 15 ft high and you could see the bottom of the pond. bits of her landed in the car park at the least 30ft away. Moral, dont be a numpty and put batteries in the compartment. i will say that it was never charged in the sealed box and had plenty of time to vent before running.
any way seeing this thread has got me al fired up and ready to have another go. still got the plastic kit so some time or other i will remeasure it and make up some more drawings.
colin-stevens is offline Find More Posts by colin-stevens
Old Jul 09, 2006, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
I've been shopping for Stingray toys for a while now, and they are always too expensive on Ebay, most all of them are in G.B. with excessive shipping costs. Very few in the U.S. you can find that collectors haven't run up the prices on.

So, anyhow, when you guys make these "home-grown" Stingrays, are they all dynamic divers that require forward motor power to dive, or do they use planes plus power, or are any of them using ballast tanks? And how stable are these underwater, considering the overall shape of the craft?

What I'm thinking to myself is, I could buy one of the Hitec tiny RC subs, strip it's guts, and use lost-foam fiberglass methods to make a Stingray shell, which gets me an RC Stingray that's inexpensive and the right size for the swimming pool and large aquariums... where it would look more like scenes from the TV show anyway:-)

If I'm going to make the thing several feet long, I'm first going to be afraid to lose it in the park pond, plus, that water's too dirty to see past a foot down, so I don't really get to appreciate the look of it scooting around underwater. That leads me to staying away from ballast tank versions, their complexity and expense. So I think if/when I make mine, it will be more of an Aquarium piece or pool toy than a pond patroller.

If someone could post some cross-sections, it would help me to shape the foam plug better.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Jul 09, 2006, 03:24 PM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
having a pop at drawing frames as i type, well i was before i started typing.
keep you informed.
colin-stevens is offline Find More Posts by colin-stevens