SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:01 PM
United States, WI, Rib Lake
Joined Dec 2004
69 Posts
Discussion
Gull wing, Compufoil, ribs at the "bend"?

I have been working with the trial version of Compufoil.

I generated the wing panels for a gull wing (as on the Corsair).

Is there a way to generate a special rib profile, for ribs to be installed at the "bend" where the two panels join?

Assuming, for example, a 30 degree angle, between the two wing panels, a rib placed at the mating ends of the two panels, would be angled 15 degrees from the vertical. These ribs, because they are "tilted" would need a different profile in order to align with the profile of the other ribs.

Indeed, you would like to have the program generate a special rib profile at any time one panel has a dihedral different from an adjoining panel.

How do you handle this?
GoNavy is offline Find More Posts by GoNavy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:49 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
939 Posts
all i do is add balsa all round the two rib if you are going to have two wings panels that join then put a spacer in between the two ribs then glue them in place then sand the balsa using flat long sanding block and flowing along the ribs on one panel then the other when you are happy with them i like to put lots of super glue on the balsa first then i use a hacksaw blade to cut the two joining ribs apart
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:44 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,850 Posts
Or, make those inner ribs from a much thicker wood, like 1/4 or thicker balsa. Then sand in the angle like above. This also allows a radius to the curve, since full size didn't have really sharp bend on the underside.

But, if you want to keep it really light then, yes, you do have to change the size of the rib a bit. IIRC all it takes is "stretching" it vertically. Use a trig function to find out how much. For 15deg it isn't much.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2004
69 Posts
Roger that, but what does the abbreviation IIRC mean?

Compufoil rep has advised me that their program does not generate a special rib shape. They suggests methods that have been suggested here.

I am very impressed with what Compufoil can do. My initial impression is that it will save me hours of work in creating the wing including the files needed to laser cut parts.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
130 Posts
I have CompuFoil but I havent tried anything like this. Im wondering if you could add dihedral to create the "gull" section and let CompuFoil calculate the rib shape. I think you might be able to add a separate dihedral for each panel you create in CompuFoil.
funkworks is offline Find More Posts by funkworks
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:44 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
939 Posts
it is not that hard to do allthou building a gull wing and cuting all the parts is a lot of work with out computofil
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:19 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
130 Posts
Ok.. so I jumped on CompuFoil to double check and drew a wing real quick to illustrate. I think this might be what you're looking for. I created a gull section using two panels. I added negative dihedral to get the panel to point down. In the screen shot example I used negative 10 degrees. I then created a second panel and added positive 20 degrees to counteract the original negative 10 and then add some additional dihedral. I used the numbers but you can try different ones to suit your project. Hope this helps.
funkworks is offline Find More Posts by funkworks
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot View Post
it is not that hard to do allthou building a gull wing and cuting all the parts is a lot of work with out computofil
Dare I say "tres bien"?. That is an absolutely beautiful airplane.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2004
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkworks View Post
Ok.. so I jumped on CompuFoil to double check and drew a wing real quick to illustrate. I think this might be what you're looking for. I created a gull section using two panels. I added negative dihedral to get the panel to point down. In the screen shot example I used negative 10 degrees. I then created a second panel and added positive 20 degrees to counteract the original negative 10 and then add some additional dihedral. I used the numbers but you can try different ones to suit your project. Hope this helps.

Oh funkworks, that is way beyond my paygrade.
I guess what you have done is to put all the ribs an angle.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,850 Posts
IIRC is If I Remember Correctly
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 04, 2014, 03:48 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
223 Posts
Take also a look at devWing, it takes care automatically to generate the right angled ribs where the panels are joining
durone is offline Find More Posts by durone
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2004
69 Posts
Grazie, Durone!
I will look into that.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:27 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
does that program generate a solid model like an .igs, .stp , etc.? If it does my CAD software can slice through any portion of the airfoil, then "extract edges" to create a wireframe profile for cutting
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Dec 2004
69 Posts
Bill, I don't know. I know very little about CAD.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 05:15 PM
Mugi Driver
near Lithgow, NSW, AU
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill clark View Post
does that program generate a solid model like an .igs, .stp , etc.? If it does my CAD software can slice through any portion of the airfoil, then "extract edges" to create a wireframe profile for cutting
Bill, the Compufoil program only exports screen shots while in the 3d view, it generates all the ribs for single / multipanel ribs, just as GoNavy suggested, 3d section is a preview style system, for the 2d parts.

GoNavy, your inclined rib, don't know, I think you would have to generate that rib separately, but ask the support section in Compufoil, Eric has been very helpful for a long time on my part.
Browny is offline Find More Posts by Browny