HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,222 Posts
Rocket is correct. Use the high current preset and be sure to increase your current limit as appropriate. See the FAQ for more details.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837319
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:27 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jan 2012
74 Posts
High-power mode did it. Thanks, rocket_33.
Alterscape is offline Find More Posts by Alterscape
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:51 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jan 2012
74 Posts
One more question: I'm charging 21000 mAh 6s1p packs. These packs have JST-XH balance plugs. The wires from the packs to the plug appear to have a common ground (black) wire and separate positive (red) wires for each cell. I'm using the safe parallel adapter provided with the PowerLab 8x2 combo.

If I try to charge in the XH-EH mode, I get a "Bad cell count" error. Everything charges fine if I switch to FMA wiring mode, but the documentation indicates I should not parallel-charge in FMA mode.

Is this something I can sort out in firmware, or do I need to actually rewire my balance plugs to get parallel charging working safely?
Alterscape is offline Find More Posts by Alterscape
Old Oct 17, 2014, 07:10 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterscape View Post
One more question: I'm charging 21000 mAh 6s1p packs. These packs have JST-XH balance plugs. The wires from the packs to the plug appear to have a common ground (black) wire and separate positive (red) wires for each cell. I'm using the safe parallel adapter provided with the PowerLab 8x2 combo.

If I try to charge in the XH-EH mode, I get a "Bad cell count" error. Everything charges fine if I switch to FMA wiring mode, but the documentation indicates I should not parallel-charge in FMA mode.

Is this something I can sort out in firmware, or do I need to actually rewire my balance plugs to get parallel charging working safely?
First, normally there should be no need to rewire your balance connectors.
But it would be handy if you could provide a link to the battery you are using.
Also please be specific about the adapter you have. There are several combos and I am not sure which one you have.

If you are doing a lot of parallel charging I recommend you get one or two or these: http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA_2/MPA-XH_2

They are expensive but the protection they provide is well worth the money. They are an excellent fit to the Dual PowerLab.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:57 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
A new version of firmware has been released for the DPL8x2.

Firmware Description:

***VERSION 1.08 Sept-26-2014*** Updated fan operation for more efficient cooling in a wider variety of scenarios.

Firmware can updated using the Charge Control Software and FUIM3 USB interface.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:29 PM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
272 Posts
I may have asked this question before but I do not remember an answer if I did. If I power both channels of my DPL8 from a single 30 V battery, can I run a discharge cycle on both channels at the same time. I would guess not but...
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:46 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Hi BVH:

You wrote:

"I may have asked this question before but I do not remember an answer if I did. If I power both channels of my DPL8 from a single 30 V battery, can I run a discharge cycle on both channels at the same time. I would guess not but..."

If you're using internal discharge, then the answer is "yes"
If you're using regenerative discharge, then the answer is "no".

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:37 PM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
272 Posts
OK, thanks Tim (and I did mean external regen)
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH