HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I think he is thinking it can explode by discharging it completely, no?
Yes, I thought that was a possibility, but you are saying that is not likely, that his happens on subsequent charges. So I could run into problems with this battery if I try to charge it, it seems. Advice taken, guys. Thanks. It's going into an ammo can and onto the back porch tonight.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,222 Posts
Wood porch is NO GOOD.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:45 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,755 Posts
concrete porch. But it's going to freeze tonight. It's inside an ammo can. Right now it's inside my garage floor. I will go put it outside now.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,755 Posts
The seller got back to me. Asked me to test it and if it works ok, that he would refund me half the money because it's damaged. And would refund me in full otherwise. I haven't responded yet. But of course, I don't want to test it and I can't return it by mail. As a seller on ebay as well, I don't see this as his fault, this package really went through the ringer, but it's not fair for me to be out either. I'd be happy with a partial refund, but that's not fair to either of us. Oh well, I'm not sweating it too much. All the stuff I order and on $15 battery is bad. No big deal.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:53 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,765 Posts
smell it to see if it has a sweet smell , if it does , then its no good , ive used bent packs that are fine , but if in doubt , don't use it ..
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,222 Posts
iT SHOULD BE REPLACED BY THE SHIPPING COMPANY !!!!!

NO ONE ELSE.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:00 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Do not discharge it to 1V per cell. Dischagre it to storage level then soak it in a tub of salt water for several days and throw it in the trash.

Vince
302 Z28 is offline Find More Posts by 302 Z28
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
Do not discharge it to 1V per cell. Dischagre it to storage level then soak it in a tub of salt water for several days and throw it in the trash.

Vince
Yet another myth that refuses to die. Soaking a LiPo in salt water does absolutely nothing other than corroding the tabs. The safest and most effective way to dispose of a LiPo is to discharge it to 0 volts with a resistance-type load, such as an automotive light bulb. #1157 comes to mind? Once the voltage is 0, cut the leads, twist them together, and recycle it at your local recycling center... assuming they accept LiPo batteries (mine does not). Otherwise, throw it in the trash.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:31 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post

Vince
I wouldn't follow that advice. No vendor or manufacturer recommends that procedure.
Every vendor/.manufacturer document I have read recommends discharging with a resistance to completely drain the battery. A very few recommend placing in salt water after completely discharging, for what reason, I have no idea, they have never explained that to us even though asked.

Salt water dunking does have a use however, that would be for packs with the foil pouch ripped open where minimum handling of the pack would be desired.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:29 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
A lipo cell has the + and - copper layers seperated by paper thin insulator film. If the + and - touch it is a short.
No way would I trust this as your insulators are already paper thin, it don't take much at all to disturb or violate this.
Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Sorry guys just passing on information recommended to me by the last place I purchased LIPO's from. Learn something new every day

Vince
302 Z28 is offline Find More Posts by 302 Z28
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
A lipo cell has the + and - copper layers seperated by paper thin insulator film. If the + and - touch it is a short.
No way would I trust this as your insulators are already paper thin, it don't take much at all to disturb or violate this.
Rick
Now this is helpful, I new there was some kind of layering involved in the construction of a cell but this description explains exactly why it is unsafe. They are not shorted now but they can as the battery heats and cools. I'm going to send off that email now to the seller. He can't file or won't file a claim with USPS. You have to purchase insurance and I think you're not supposed to ship bare lipos anyway. Plus it's too much trouble. I would not go anywhere and file anything for a measly $15. Not worth my time. I would just refund the seller, but that's just me.

I just asked the seller for a replacement. I feel bad about it, but that's what I would do as a seller. But I would also have put a little layer of foam around it. It had the cheap red Chinese bubble wrap which is not like ours, and that was in a bubble mailer, no box. It would have been fine 99% of the time.
Last edited by shahram72; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:03 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
Don't feel bad for the seller. He did not pack it safely enough. I feel he will going forward.
Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,755 Posts
The seller is sending me a replacement battery. I am discharging this one now with my charger, but it looks like it's going to stop at 6v. Do I need to set a custom program to discharge it completely? That will take all day!

OK, my charger maxes out at .7A discharge rate. I went ahead and rigged up a lightbulb (1158) on alligator clips as this battery has no discharge plug installed. I also stuck a cheap lipo meter in the balance plug so I could watch the voltage. I think this is even slower than my charger! I can't sit here and watch it. It's sitting on my concrete porch so I think I'll just leave it.

EDIT: OK, it's done. At first it discharged real slow, then I left it alone for about 40 mins and when I came back on cell was at 3.5 volts and the other had dropped to 2.5v. Pack was cool and not puffed so I left it alone. Forgot about it actually which was ok because it was outside on a concrete slab. Just checked on it and the light bulb was out and the batt tester would not work. I measured it at the discharge leads with a voltmeter and it's barely 2v total for both cells. So I think it's safe to say it's dead. I can throw it out because I don't think lipos are able to be recycled. The battery did not get warm even or puff. Completely uneventful. Needless to say, the pack will sit outside on the concrete until trash day.
Last edited by shahram72; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,116 Posts
I just put mine out in the front yard and let it discharge over night. Even if the bulb is not lit it will be discharging the pack.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy