SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmidgett View Post
The man can take some photos. I'm a huge fan. Thanks for posting Mark.
What he said X 10

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,307 Posts
Awesome shots. Great subjects to photograph too.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:45 PM
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2003
430 Posts
Mark,

Absolutely great picture of the scale event. I alway enjoy your photos. They really capture the details and show the airplanes at there best - in the air.

Jim

PS Fred has good video of the scale flights at E-FEST as well as lots of other flying video on Flight Pass. Thanks to Fred as well
jfassino is offline Find More Posts by jfassino
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
758 Posts
Mark,

Fantastic shots as usual.

The closeup of Jim's airplane is amazing.

Thanks again Mark!

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:51 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
In case I missed it, Matt, were your Courier and David's Cub and Tailwind scratchbuilt or from a kit? They looked really sharp. Great work!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:03 PM
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined May 2007
147 Posts
It is interesting how the discussion of scale rules for efest mirrors the discussions you hear about outdoor scale contests. In particular the remarks about arfs and drawing more competitors. I would like to see more competitors in indoor and outdoor scale.

Another observation I would like to make is efest scale is "special" in that it is part of a bigger show. I would like to see more flight time for scale but understand the limits imposed upon us. I love scale flying and could watch it all day but I am probably not in the majority. There are others who love the choreographed aerobatic flying and could watch that all day.

I think we can accommodate more entries and might be able to squeeze more flights into the half hour. And I think the rules are pretty close to optimal for what the event is, a part of a much larger event. It is fun and fits into the Efest show nicely.

Having said all that, wouldn't it be fun to have an all day indoor scale event with multiple flight rounds? I dont know how to bring that about but given the lower cost of these indoor models in time and money it would seem that many more people would want to participate in an indoor scale event. I would still participate in Efest like events but it is fun to think about something more focused on scale. Just an idea.
semeraro is offline Find More Posts by semeraro
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:43 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
<<<Having said all that, wouldn't it be fun to have an all day indoor scale event with multiple flight rounds? I dont know how to bring that about but given the lower cost of these indoor models in time and money it would seem that many more people would want to participate in an indoor scale event. I would still participate in Efest like events but it is fun to think about something more focused on scale. Just an idea.>>>

Sorry, a little off topic, but before moving to Chicago, a great part of the DC area flying scene was the 'DC Maxecuters', a chapter of the 'Flying Aces Club'. Their big event:

http://dcmaxecuter.org/events.html

was held in the National Building Museum and was pretty much up to half RC, half FF by the time we left the area in 2009. The FAC lot have many comps that are judged statically in one go, and then flown as competitors feel up to it during the day. Okay, they are only flight judged by a stopwatch, but it makes for less pressure than a scale type flying order as we're used to in regular RC. Their way of doing things could work well in an event designed around a scale comp, for an idea. The NBM is somewhat unique - though it offers very good flying space, the building is the museum's own largest exhibit in effect and banging into each other, crashing on purpose and flying into walls is not allowed. Hence no floppydoppy flying, no model wrecking for fun and, as an aside, a chance to wander around and see some of the best model building you'll find anywhere.

The first thing you need for what you're contemplating is a big indoor space! The DC Maxecuters use a local government provided recreation centre on two days a week, which is fine for smaller RC models as well as FF, though it is in the early afternoon. For Chicago area stuff, check out the Sky Knights RC Club at Round Lake, IL and 'Fly in Gym' - http://www.flyingym.com/ Even if not in your neck of the woods, may be some inspiration her, you may be able to get some tips from the organisers on how to acquire an indoor site.

I know of one event in northern Virginia that revolves around a single high school teacher who organised use of a huge school gym for a full day's open flying in the early part of the season. Suggests if you want something like this, it is feasible.

Good luck. Let me know when you sort it out. If it's held fairly near to Chicago, I think I can get you some international model magazine coverage for it

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:31 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
In case I missed it, Matt, were your Courier and David's Cub and Tailwind scratchbuilt or from a kit? They looked really sharp. Great work!

Andy
Andy,

My Helio was a Sig Herr kit. I beleive the Cub is also a Herr kit but modified into a clipped wing Cub. Jason Noll scratch built the Tailwind from his full size plane.
See link below for awesome pics Jason took of the full size and his model.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=80712

Now I am looking forward to just having fun flying the Helio. It can do some crazy steep decents with the flaps and slats extended.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
119 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the compliments on the photos, and congrats to the scale pilots and builders. Those are some museum quality models that fly at E-Fest. There is also a lot of interest in top-tier scale birds as this thread attests to. I agree with the idea of keeping the contest alive with new blood each year, but at the same time I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing the best indoor scale models in the world. Surely it's a balance in order to keep the interest going in this contest. Thanks to Mike for organizing it this year and thanks to all the contestants who put countless hours into the fine models.
mark fadely is offline Find More Posts by mark fadely
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
Some great discussion going on here. Some more thoughts;

I see that absolutely amazing WWI British bomber was back. Maybe there should be a limit on how often you can bring the same model? Like once? Give others a chance!

I'm all for an "ARF" class as an entry level event. But the lines could get blurry. Someone described that class as ARFs with new decals, but you can do a LOT of work to add detail. And consider the following. I've been thinking of making a micro P-82. This would use parts from the PZ micro Mustang, but also a lot of fabricating. A new wing center section would be needed, new tail feathers and the fuselages would be heavily modified. About 50% would be scratch built. Would this be an ARF or built up?

I know time is tight, but if there were enough entrants, I could see the flying portion going to 1 hour. This is a day and a half event, after all.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:40 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
Dereck - Thanks for the Chicago indoor flying info. I've been going to the Bensenville dome occasionally, but 11:00 is just too late, and it's often like a demolition derby in there.

also - any more info on that Fokker Eindecker?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Angelo - me too, on the dome. It's way past my bedtime these days. Guess I got spoiled by the DC scene - it was more aeromodelling than 'demolition derby'.

At E Fest - perhaps another scale round on Sunday? General flying Sunday backs off a lot - maybe a builder's scale round Saturday and ARFing on Sunday? That would expand the event's total flying time at least.

With the work you'd put into that P82, I'd say its the building, not buying, class. That would be a cool model.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
I already posted this on the Efest video thread, but I thought the scale pilots would like to see this. I just finished editing today.
Efest 2013 Scale Model Display (5 min 34 sec)
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Thanks Frank. What a great event E fest is and what an opportunity for us scale modelers.
Mike did a fantastic job under pressure, way to step up and keep a good thing going.
The judges are what make this a real scale show. We can't thank Jim, Terry and Dennis enough. Having judges from Top Gun and Scale Masters legitimatize this competition.
I also like the way the rules come from the AMA rule book, in a simplified form of course but, basically the same. It has all the feeling of an outdoor scale show.
The coverage is unreal. so many great photos,and videos. Mark Fadely, thanks for posting your amazing photos. Really looking forward to next year.
Sean
au117 is offline Find More Posts by au117
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:11 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,071 Posts
Eindecker info?

Does anyone have any more info on that Fokker Eindecker? Who built it, build thread, anything else? I was thinking of doing one myself, so this is of great interest to me.