HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Hmm, don't agree with this.
Yes you do, you just don't know it . If you are an experienced RC pilot, I'm sure you've helped a newbie learn how to fly on a plane you owned. I bet it flew differently than yours, too.

Or let's say that you get a plane kit, and I get a plane kit. We each build them. Even if we tried to build them identically, they probably wouldn't perform identically. Lets say I slide my battery pack all the way back, because I like an aft CG. You slide your forward because you like it a little tamer. You like more rudder authority than I do. Some manufacturers even specify an acceptable range of CG. they specify ranges of motors or engines to use. The same kits can be built quite differently, and won't perform the same as each other at all.

Like Skaluf said, all of these variables (and many, many more) can be adjusted in RF to give you the exact performance you are looking for.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:26 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Mar 2010
2,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Yes you do, you just don't know it . If you are an experienced RC pilot, I'm sure you've helped a newbie learn how to fly on a plane you owned. I bet it flew differently than yours, too.

Or let's say that you get a plane kit, and I get a plane kit. We each build them. Even if we tried to build them identically, they probably wouldn't perform identically. Lets say I slide my battery pack all the way back, because I like an aft CG. You slide your forward because you like it a little tamer. You like more rudder authority than I do. Some manufacturers even specify an acceptable range of CG. they specify ranges of motors or engines to use. The same kits can be built quite differently, and won't perform the same as each other at all.

Like Skaluf said, all of these variables (and many, many more) can be adjusted in RF to give you the exact performance you are looking for.
That is why I indicated an ARF built to spec. Exact build, power system, and CG instructions were followed. Still flew totally differently from the sim version. Bottom line: the sim versions of the warbirds fly like trainers, not real warbirds (or at least this is true of RF and FSOne). If a newbie became "proficient" landing the sim P-51, then tried to land the real plane, they would most likely have a pile of scrap wood. I agree each real model is slightly different from the other, but most ARFs fly very similarly to each other if trimmed out and completed properly. P-51s always have p-factor on takeoff, and they always tipstall (snap) to the left if the nose is up too high and the speed is too low on final approach. The full scale does the same. My point is that the sim versions are deficient in that they totally fail to model these common characteristics of the type.

So my original question still stands: have those of you who design models for download for RF come up with a warbird that's tough to fly. Just curious at this point.

Thanks on the suggestions for 6.5. I will take a look in the LHS at the advanced sections in the sim and see if I can modify to my liking.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Dec 26, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
So my original question still stands: have those of you who design models for download for RF come up with a warbird that's tough to fly.
Heh. I'm good at making RF aircraft next to impossible to fly, but I suppose that's not what you're looking for!

Personally, I don't even like to do physics when I design a model for RF. I'm not really into the real hobby anymore, and I've never flown a scale warbird. Anything I would do would only be a guess. I can't speak for other modelers. You might try asking your question at the RF forums.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,477 Posts
I've done both the real warbirds and the sim warbirds and like jeffpn says they fly like someones interpretation. I've searched and searched for a PZ Bf 109 in a sim that actually flies like mine. There isn't one, all I've found are too easy to fly as TT has stated, and I realize the only way I could have one is to mod an existing till it flew like mine, even then there will be someone whose flies completely differently from mine.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:42 PM View Post
jowiejooijdofig
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:31 AM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
383 Posts
A couple things might contribute to the 'easyness' of warbird flight in the Sim. Having no wind, in my opinion makes everything easier. Certainly when it's calm outside I find it hard to tip stall most of my warbirds unless I get really slow. Also, perhaps it's hard to tell how fast a Sim model is actually flying. Maybe the model is flying (vectoring) faster than it appears on screen in certain view modes.
I would think increasing/decreasing AUW can create a desired stall charateristic too.
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley1974 View Post
A couple things might contribute to the 'easyness' of warbird flight in the Sim. Having no wind, in my opinion makes everything easier. Certainly when it's calm outside I find it hard to tip stall most of my warbirds unless I get really slow. Also, perhaps it's hard to tell how fast a Sim model is actually flying. Maybe the model is flying (vectoring) faster than it appears on screen in certain view modes.
I would think increasing/decreasing AUW can create a desired stall charateristic too.

Correct, most of us do not fly in perfectly calm conditions. Crank up the wind, add some turbulence and you can accurately replicate a real-world environment. Minor tweaks to the aircraft will get it flying like you think it should in a realistic environment.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,173 Posts
Agree. We need wind. I saw somewhere that 6.5 can do various wind models including cross wind up to 90deg. Does anyone know whether it can model gusts? That is mostly what I deal with out here in SoCal.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
RF simulates gusts, turbulence, thermals, variabilty in speed and direction, faster wind at higher elevation. Really just about every possible wind scenario.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,173 Posts
Cool, thanks Jeff. My only experience with RF is Basic. May be time to upgrade, though $175 is pretty steep.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
though $175 is pretty steep.
I've paid that 3 times for 3 different versions of Realflight; G2, G3, and G4 . Fortunately for me there was an upgrade price for G5 and RF6. You may only have to pay $175 once.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:27 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Cool, thanks Jeff. My only experience with RF is Basic. May be time to upgrade, though $175 is pretty steep.
Its worth the price tag for what you get imo you will be stoked if you pull the trigger on this sim.
Kris... is online now Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,173 Posts
with these features, it should be. I'll get over tl the LHS and check it out.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
686 Posts
i cant get my new headphones with mic boom to work in multiplayer. any suggestions ?
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Wow! I just was going through the Knifeedge forum. They are beating up on some poor guy pretty bad. Kinda funny.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...d=1#post243968
I couldn't find a whole lot of new planes, etc, on the new G6.5 can you load the older Real Flight aircraft from say the G3.5 into G6.5 in Windows 8?
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated