HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:02 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Discussion
Anyone built using Armaboard (bubble Coro)?

Not sure if anyone has seen this material: Armaboard. It's probably called different things around the globe, but looks intriguing as its...

A three-layer sheet made of thermoformed central layer and two solid sheets on the external layers with the following properties:
High bubble density for homogeneous rigidity
Large bubbles for lightness and flatness
An attractive sanded finish for better printability (and in our case glueability?).

NZ url

Can't find any info on weight, but thinking I'll pick up a sheet and have play.

Here's a picture:
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,507 Posts
Looks interesting. I bought some Lexan polycarbonate for windows in a garage. It was pretty much like coroplast but more rigid and clear. I kind of wondered what it would be good for. Kind of an invention looking for an application. Might work for a fuselage. Never seen the armaboard. There isn't really any grain, It might bend well for a wing especially the thinner stuff.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Looks interesting. I bought some Lexan polycarbonate for windows in a garage. It was pretty much like coroplast but more rigid and clear. I kind of wondered what it would be good for. Kind of an invention looking for an application. Might work for a fuselage. Never seen the armaboard. There isn't really any grain, It might bend well for a wing especially the thinner stuff.
Hi aspeed.

Yeh, the no-grain means its perfectly flat (or so the brochure says). I'm thinking of building a wing for a MIG-7 from it, as that plan calls for crushing the flutes across the grain anyway - so the perfect fold-technique for this material (I imagine).

Re: Polycarb - its a brilliant material. Density is 1.22 (of water...gms/cm3) and its strong but flexible. I'm looking at laminating it with Correx as a wing-spar. Its stronger than PET and look how much pressure a softdrink (sodapop) puts on a PET bottle!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,507 Posts
Hmm, maybe laminate it with pink foam for a spar. easier to glue to the coro wing skin, and lighter than a wood spar. Maybe not as strong as wood but it may flex instead of break. If it doesn't buckle it should be pretty tough. The elecric carpet cars lexan bodies sure took a beating. The pop bottles (soda is a US thing, it's pop here) make great cowls and canopies on the 1/12 scale combats some of the guys here use. The armaboard can't have a normal hinge on the flutes though.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:57 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Good luck with that.
I emailed them twice a couple of years ago about availability, price, specifications and samples and got no reply.
I have recently seen some 2mm coreflute in blue in Auckland, in a dumpster and wrapped around some structural steel.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:09 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Good luck with that.
I emailed them twice a couple of years ago about availability, price, specifications and samples and got no reply.
I have recently seen some 2mm coreflute in blue in Auckland, in a dumpster and wrapped around some structural steel.
Hi RN. Yeh I emailed for a price list recently and got the distributor run around (what quantity sir? 100 sheets?) They are good if you phone them or just turn up .

As an aside, one of the recent storms picked up my red MIG-7 wing cutouts and threw them across the garage Hence I'm starting again
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:22 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Some results...

Ok got a sheet to play with.

Its a perfectly smooth material with a mat "soft" finish. First impression is that its tough but softer than Correx. Not as soft as foam but certainly softer than Correx. I made a couple of folded wing tests and have to report its kinks and creases easily making it useless for this purpose. I imagine it would take paint well (soft mat finish) but given its softness I really can't see it being useful for building planes - plus its heavier than equivalent Correx.

So unfortunately not the wonder material the ads portray (suprise!).

Here's some data I compiled. Also included is polycarbonate as I am looking to use this as a spar in a sandwich with 5mm Correx.

Armaboard 2.8mm = 624 gms/m2
Corflute 3.0mm = 508 gms/m2
Corflute 5.0mm = 914 gms/m2
Polycarbonate 2.0mm = 2407 gms/m2

Photos:
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Thanks for that info argo.
Weight is the main potential advantage with thinner so that is disappointing.
How does cost compare?
If it is softer it may have some advantages for rolling - fuselage eg.? Does it respond to heating?
Another material from the signwriter's dumpster I have used recently is foamed PVC. It is about the density of medium hard balsa and sands quite well. Made a good yacht rudder with no painting required.
I'll let you know when Iocate the 2mm corro supply!
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,507 Posts
The polycarbonate I got was corrogated like the coroplast/corflute stuff. It is much firmer, clear and seems about the same weight. Likely wouldn't bend for a wing, but might be ok for a spar or fuselage. Kind of expensive. I think it was $60 a sheet.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Hi RN
Cost is around x1.5.
Haven't tried heating but I really think its to soft for anything except cosmetic stuff (cockpit detail perhaps).
That foamed PVC sounds good. Is it perhaps foamboard that is sold for art supplies?

Hi aspeed
I think I know the sheeting you describe, at one stage it was used for roof sheeting here but kinda lost favour as it looks 'tacky' after awhile in sun and rain. I agree could make a good spar. Guess it would need to be cut with a jigsaw or circular saw, as it would be tough any other way. I like the polycarb sheet (not corrugated) as it is relatively easy to cut and can be bent with heat (ie for a spar joiner).