HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,359 Posts
Discussion
Combining Mono and Braided Winch Line

I need a few ideas, on the best way to have a braided down line and mono upline on a F3B winch. If you have a connector between the two, please add a drawing of it or a pic.

Thank You,

Robert
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Mar 2005
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson View Post
I need a few ideas, on the best way to have a braided down line and mono upline on a F3B winch. If you have a connector between the two, please add a drawing of it or a pic.

Thank You,

Robert
Bob,

There was a thread awhile back on tying the two together, search may find it
for you. ( not sure which forum, I would guess f3x )

Ron
Ronald Mong is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Mong
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
hey bob,
here's a one for you.
http://www.netknots.com/html/albright_special.html
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:04 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,359 Posts
Thanks guys, I was looking for the different fittings people where using between the lines as just looping the end of each line allows me to remove the mono and store it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
You want to retire knots in mono regularly.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
USA, CA, Vista
Joined Jun 2003
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson View Post
Thanks guys, I was looking for the different fittings people where using between the lines as just looping the end of each line allows me to remove the mono and store it.

Attached is an item many have been using
I would not recomend this item .you can tie the two lines together usung the knot that has been posted . This works GREAT!!
For safety reasons I wouldnt want this steel link flying through the air and hurting someone on a line break..
Just cut off the knot and re-tie it as needed .. Be safe..
Dyno Don is offline Find More Posts by Dyno Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:45 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
My team used the links than Don shows for the last two contests...work great and allows quick line changes.

Since they are on the ground line side of the turnaround, a break there would result in the turnaround stopping the link. I don't know that a break in the air line would be that hazardous...since the braided line stretches very little, the link quite likely wouldn't come back as far as the winches.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Last edited by dhauch; Mar 14, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,359 Posts
------opinions-------

2.8oz and braided on the small radius
Last edited by Robert Burson; Mar 14, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2003
906 Posts
We have been using the quick links that Tom showed for several years. As Tom says, it's not a safety issue in use. Use the 300# one and it also ensures that you don't/can't pull the connection thru the turnaround. That is not good.

Tying the line is slow when you are in a hurry to get the line fixed...

It can be a safety issue when you wind up - so take it off before you wind the line in. We always take the air leg off separately and wind it up to resoak it.

Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Last edited by jimsoars; Mar 15, 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
476 Posts
When I fish for tuna, I use mono leaders spliced to braided running line. If you use high test strength braid for the winch ground line it is probably hollow. All Spectra lines are hollow in the middle. Fishermen feed the end of the mono line into the center of the braided line for about 1 foot. Usually a little ca is put on the braid near the end of the mono. This creates a seamless connection between the braid and the mono. The harder you pull on the mono, the tighter the connection becomes. Breaking strength remains 100% for both lines, since no knots are involved. It works on the same principle as a Chinese finger puzzle. Just a thought for you application.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,359 Posts
Thanks George,

I think you would be a little disappointed in the braided line we use, it is not hollow.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,359 Posts
The final solution.

This worked for an afternoon, of Espada launches. Next upgraded is to add a foot of braided line with a loop at both ends, to replace the mono loop. The mono loop will be combined with the braided loop, like you do on the chute, to reduce abrasion of the mono and metal quick release.

Thanks for the help, guys and ACE hardware.

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Mar 19, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2003
906 Posts
Not to be overcomplicated - you don't need any additional line. Make sure to use some sheathing on the mono - picture of mono and knot attached. You then just need to put the mono on the quicklink the same as you did the braided. Note that in your picture you have a double loop on the braided end. That distributes the pressure across 2 parts of the sheathed mono. I'll take a picture when I get home.

You get the sheathing at good sporting goods or climbing stores. I use parachute cord in different colors to indicate the size of the line it is on. e.g. white for 1.1, green for 1.28, blue for 1.38 and black for 1.50 (darker is heavier). Climbing cord works well too, but not as many colors available.

Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,359 Posts
Like most problems more than one solution....