Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:51 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,187 Posts
Question
Lighting..

I got to wondering ..

If a guy took a glob of glue from a hot glue gun ..and fused it to the end of a fiber optic light strand ..would that glue glow like a regular light.. 360(degree) ..say about 3-5mm dia..

Im not looking for illumination ..just so it looks like a light is on..does that make sense
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2009
184 Posts
I sorta melted some to gether with a heat gun it did work it was dim and I burnt my fingers. I think you could do that but I really dont know
mb1387 is offline Find More Posts by mb1387
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,996 Posts
When those "mares tail" lamps were new (late '70's) and you could get samples of fibre optic, a mate of mine made a control panel for his model railway. It was made as a mimic diagram and he wanted his routes to light up. The answer was A LOT of 1mm holes in the perspex front panel with a fibre in each one. The illuminated ends were bunched to their bulbs and that end heated and tamped flat to maximise the area for light input. The other end was heat treated to form a blob, partly to make that end show a larger light, partly to stop it falling back through the hole.
It all worked very well.
Your idea of hot melt glue should be OK, just remember that the light out is proportional to light in, but as you just want the light to show rather than illuminate, there is a chance of a good result.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:22 AM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,031 Posts
I just tried making a bulb on the end of a fiberoptic with superglue but it didn't light up the bulb, maybe because it was clear. Not in the shop to try the heat glue gun but it might work because it is not clear. Nice look looking straight into the fiberoptic with the superglue forming a ring around the fiber. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:16 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,993 Posts
You could try a small bead of epoxy. I use an optically clear epoxy for fiber optic terminations in glands... it should be easier to shape, also.
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
I have never tried it, but I think it will work.

Try chamfering the end of the FO cable with fine sand paper. And leave a dull/matt finish. I other words don't wory that it is not polished.

If the light is too white then try dipping the end in paint, without primer. A thin layer of paint is still translucent.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:46 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,044 Posts
Make a full taper on the end of the fiber, like sharpening a pencil. The angled surface will light up and be visible 360 degrees. If the rod is cut flat, the light will be coming out the end like a flashlight.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
If using plastic fiber, you can mushroom the end by heating it with a lighter or candle. I haven't tried it using glass fiber yet.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat