SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,418 Posts
Just adding data here for other people's searches...

I ran my CVS cam off my CC45 ESC's BEC by plugging the cam into my receiver with 3 mini servos attached and had no problems whatsoever. I even put all the servos under load while recording for a few seconds before taking to the air.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
My latest video clip

I'm not sure if the camera was lose or my new 3 cell setup was causing issues you will see during part of the video I get an effect that looks like I'm under water. And then at the end of the video I hit the camera on the ground and knocked if off the mount. All is well no damage to camera or plane.

The setup used is for the video is a bp12 outrunner a GWS 1047 prop a 3 cell 1200 lipo a 12-15 amp esc. same setup as I have allways used just went to 3 cell over 2 cell and went down to a 1047 prop not a 1180

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=446434

Anyways enjoy!

Got up as high as I have ever been also!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:57 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Cheap hood for CVS

Yesterday, at a yard sale, I picked up a 35mm slide viewer for $.25.
Ripped the battery and white screen off with pliers, and bingo, a CVS viewing hood was born.

Tried it today at the field in bright light and it works well. Need to stickl some female velcro around the edge and it will be great for checking out what you got on the flight.
Cheers,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old May 07, 2007, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
35 Posts

These things are great.
I think I will make one for my plane and
one for a ball cap for my nephews stag party! KewL !!

yankeeredneck is offline Find More Posts by yankeeredneck
Old May 10, 2007, 08:01 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
CVS camera Mods

More CVS camera mods. I wanted to have the actual camera unit more accessible so I can mount it forward on a wing. This is a much harder modification to do if you have not done any surface mount work. I have boards available, there are 2 boards needed so $4 for the set and a self addressed stamped envelope. This is not an easy mod and works only with the older style cameras.

Connectors needed from Digikey

H2438-ND $2.02
H2456-ND $2.18

You need one of each.

Ribbon cable is 20 strands of .0394 pitch.

You will have to remove the original connector on the camera board and reuse it for the camera end.

I need a few more cameras, so I will do a complete mod to a camera if you send me 2 of them, one I keep for the work. It will have the USB interface and the camera cable mod. The only thing I won't include is the standard USB cable, since that you can pick up easily at the store. This offer is only for a few cameras since I won't need more that. Cable length from camera to body will need to be short to keep the noise down, I will use 6inches.

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Jun 10, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old May 10, 2007, 10:00 AM
Irving, TX
Joined Apr 2006
525 Posts
Man you are the CVS mod master....I bow to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfong
More CVS camera mods. I wanted to have the actual camera unit more accessible so I can mount it forward on a wing. This is a much harder modification to do if you have not done any surface mount work. I have boards available, there are 2 boards needed so $4 for the set. This is not an easy mod.

I need a few more cameras, so I will do a complete mod to a camera if you send me 2 of them, one I keep for the work. It will have the USB interface and the camera cable mod. The only thing I won't include is the standard USB cable, since that you can pick up easily at the store. This offer is only for a few cameras since I won't need more that. Cable length from camera to body will need to be short to keep the noise down, I will use 6inches.

Kin
Fishbone4u is offline Find More Posts by Fishbone4u
Old May 10, 2007, 01:59 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
275 Posts
that must be an earlyer CVS camera. i have some 3.40 cameras and the image sensor appears to be attached directly to the main board, not on a daughter board
imacav8r is online now Find More Posts by imacav8r
Old May 10, 2007, 02:59 PM
Irving, TX
Joined Apr 2006
525 Posts
Mine is also..

Model 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacav8r
that must be an earlyer CVS camera. i have some 3.40 cameras and the image sensor appears to be attached directly to the main board, not on a daughter board
Fishbone4u is offline Find More Posts by Fishbone4u
Old May 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Thanks, the camera is just too fun not to hack. Video quality is great so it's worth all the work involved.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone4u
Man you are the CVS mod master....I bow to you.
Old May 10, 2007, 03:07 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
They are all the same, the image sensor is a separate piece. It is mounted to the main board with small screws and separated by a black plastic riser. Once you remove the screws the sensor should pop out. It makes the connection through a specialized connector that I was not able to find. I ended up finding one with the same pitch from Digikey and used that to replace the one on the main board, but you need to reuse the connector to connect to the image sensor. I had to created a circuit board for this connector and the ribbon cable to connect back to the main board.

I picked up the latest camera last night, wanted to see if the improved video quality advertized is any better. I should be able to verify if this one has the same setup. I suspect it does since they haven't changed the physical dimensions of the camera.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacav8r
Old May 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
275 Posts
please do, and post what you find. my hopes are that you can seperate the sensor. i would love to make a remote lens version of the camera.
imacav8r is online now Find More Posts by imacav8r
Old May 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
35 Posts
I don't understand why people are buying different
connectors/pcb's. From what I have read and seen if
you just solder a female usb connector inside (on side)
of camera you will be all set. You may have to sacrifice
a usb cord or 2 but they are extremely cheap & common...
Old Jun 02, 2007, 07:52 AM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Aesthetics, I don't care for the cable sticking out of my camera if I take it out on a trip. Weight if it's put in an RC plane. Reliablility, since it uses a standard USB camera cable and just the cool factor since this camera is worth the effort to me.

I finally picked up one of the newer cameras, looks like they did change the design. The camera sensor is nolonger a separate unit, it's soldered onto the board now. You will need to find one of the older cameras if you want to mount the sensor remotely.

The usb mod is still the same. A couple of pointers if you are doing this mod. Do a dry fit before you add the epoxy. I use the epoxy to provide a solid foundation and insulation. You should have some gap between the two boards since there are traces exposed. To be sure you get it wired the first time make sure you can see the edge of the connector. This will help out when you verify the connections with a meter.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeredneck
I don't understand why people are buying different
connectors/pcb's. From what I have read and seen if
you just solder a female usb connector inside (on side)
of camera you will be all set. You may have to sacrifice
a usb cord or 2 but they are extremely cheap & common...
Last edited by kfong; Jun 02, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2007
35 Posts
You mount the connector inside the camera as stated in my
original post. No cable dangling outside of camera............
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Yes, I understood your post. It's just not the connector I would use or the weight I would like. Personal preferences. No wrong way of doing it. In my case I get to use the same usb camera cable that works with my digital camera.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeredneck
You mount the connector inside the camera as stated in my
original post. No cable dangling outside of camera............