15,658 Posts
No. They were bought by Brodak.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:44 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
Ok. Thanks.

Edit: looks like the Dare planes are still available.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 10, 2014, 02:10 AM
AMA# 1031087
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Sep 2013
39 Posts
I have a dare design 1/5 Nuieport 17 that was pre built and got in a trade. It was rought but im most of thr way through a refirb. Stripped the plastic covering, made structural repairs amd have it abiut 40% covered with fabric. Will post pics soon
Luftweenie is online now Find More Posts by Luftweenie
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:26 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,672 Posts
You have to watch out for their quality of balsa. Seems a little bit soft. You might want to have your own selected balsa stringers available.

I've got one Dare kit that I built, and some of the balsa is so punky that it breaks just picking up the airplane. Also, the wing warped just from the application of Japanese Tissue!
I brought that airplane back home to completely strip and repair, and reinforce where necessary.

Had I purchased better balsa stringers, this wouldn't have likely become necessary.
Just a tip...
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:22 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,658 Posts
Many of Dare models are very light designs. In fact, many are free flight designs with some being marketed as capable of electric RC. Those that are electric designs, like Tritle's are also very lightweight designs.

If you happen to get one that we cut, then the wood will be contest weight, something Dare used to insist on. Not sure where they get their sticks from. Not sure if Brodak will continue that or not.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:57 PM
AMA# 1031087
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Sep 2013
39 Posts
My dare Nuieport 17c is extremely light. Several of the blocks in the fuse were super weak. I strengthened them with CA and brushed on a thin coat of Great Planes 30 min epoxy. Everything seems to be good now. The right wing will be rebuilt due to extreme warp. Will be replacing the spruce spars. I plan to reuse the leading and trailing edges and as much of the sub structure as possible. Which as you can see from the picture is about the first 3 ribs and the wingtip.
Luftweenie is online now Find More Posts by Luftweenie
Last edited by Luftweenie; Mar 10, 2014 at 06:16 PM.