HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
497 Posts
Discussion
Best work table surface color/finish?

Hi all. I've recently completed a large-ish (6' x 4') work table for the center of my workshop that I'm really pleased to have. The table surface is MDO (MDF top and bottom surfaces, but the core is plywood for greater stability), which I've edged with wood trim. I like the raw look and smoothness of the MDF surface, but need to seal/finish it and am now considering the options. I've applied a couple of primer coats with a brush, which I now need to sand a little to regain smoothness. I'm interested in any opinions people may have on colors and finishes for this kind of work surface. It's currently a matte white (the primer color), which I'm not particularly fond of, and definitely needs a harder final coat to withstand the perils of aircraft construction. FYI my primary uses are composite glider fabrication and assembly (cutting fabrics, doing layups, using molds, vacuum bagging, trimming/sanding parts, joining components, installing electronics, etc), balsa aircraft assembly and miscellaneous household (non-aircraft) jobs. I'd welcome any thoughts or discussion on this topic. Thanks,

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:53 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,818 Posts
hmm...At one dept of my my work, car bumpers are shipped wrapped in a large sheet of plastic-backed foam approx 1/8" thick. The foam is tough and vaguely resembles micro bubble wrap whose air pockets are dense and overlap, if that makes sense (I've no idea what type of foam it is), but it'd be pretty forgiving in terms of model assembling and easily removed if a harder surface is needed. I've also seen rolls of cork (typically for tool box drawer liners) that might work. Or a sheet of plastic (expensive) is another idea, but if HDPE used, most glues won't stick to it.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:16 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Formica kitchen counter top laminate is extremely hard and impervious to solvents. That makes it easy to clean up those cyano and epoxy spills.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
919 Posts
I use the clear plastic sheets that are used on big or wide screen projection TVs. You can pick them up for free at TV repair shops and I have several of them for future use. Also, razor knives stay sharper longer. My bench is painted white underneath.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Formica kitchen counter top laminate is extremely hard and impervious to solvents. That makes it easy to clean up those cyano and epoxy spills.
X2 - My bench is covered with a light gray gloss Formica. I clean it with lacquer thinner and you can scape the glues off with a razor. I use a wood plank to build on and when covering, a large self healing mat.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:19 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,852 Posts
I used to use Formica, but I kept burning and gouging it. Then I went to wood, periodically sanding it down and repainting it.

Now I use a layer of Masonite, painted with Polycrylic and screwed down to the wood. When it gets chewed up, I recoat it with Polycrylic; when it gets really chewed up, I replace the Masonite with another sheet.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:25 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
My bench wraps around a corner I have formica on one section I use for soldering, painting and electrical work and a piece of drywall 1/2" on my building section the drywall allows me to build rite on the bench as pins push in easy and hold well when one side is done I flip to the other. I also have a section that has the non slip rubber matting I do most of my sanding there as there is no need to use clamps the matting holds items very well. across from that bench is another with my Mill, lathe, Belt/disc sander, bandsaw, grinder and drill press that bench is 3/4 ply I would like laminate it as the metal chips can be a bear to get off the plywood surface
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,818 Posts
Good call, epicdoom... I had initially thought to reply with how I'd set up my own shop if I had that amount of space, utilizing multiple types of surfaces. Somehow I ended up thinking the OP was asking for a single-type surface.

jbarnhardt...are you looking for a homogeneous surface (like Formica), or looking for ideas on multiple different types of surfaces?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
497 Posts
Gents (I presume) - thanks for all the excellent feedback. Lots of suggestions I hadn't even thought of.

Cityevador - good question, I should have clarified my intent a little more. This work table will be a single type of surface. It sits in the middle of the room and is surrounded on two sides by a hardwood, very sealed workbench that is good for soldering, mold curing, staging stuff, light stationary power tool placement, etc. I also have a CNC machine and larger power tool space in my adjacent garage, so the work table is intended for active fabrication/assembly/staging work. I think my primary goals are relative smoothness (for cutting lightweight composite fabrics without snagging) resistance to liquids/solvents, ease of cleaning and, well, that's about it. Thanks again for the responses.

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:40 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
X2 - My bench is covered with a light gray gloss Formica. I clean it with lacquer thinner and you can scape the glues off with a razor.
Exactly why I love mine
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:41 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
If you'll be cutting films and fabrics directly on the table with knives or roller cutters then look at topping the table with a full coverage self healing mat.

http://www.speedpress.com/cuttingmat...FYZcMgodGXsA7A

That's not the only supplier but it's one which came up first when I did a google.

What you can do is add a shallow lip around the edge that sticks up not quite 1/8 inch. Then the mat is held by the lip. If you want a different surface that is expendable then slip out the cutting mat and replace it with a panel of 1/8 hardboard for painting and glueing and the rest of the stuff. The 1/8 hardboard panel simply gets replaced for cheap when it's seen better days. And that way your cutting board stays clean.

In fact make the lip a little deeper so the hardboard and self healing covers simply be slid out from under and back over top of each other. Less storage issues that way.

I like this last idea enough that it's now my plan for my own rolling work island to be used for covering and other such stuff. I was going to install a self healing mat over the whole top anyway. But I like this idea of being able to switch out a rough work top to protect the cutting mat.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,496 Posts
Thick plate glass for assembly.

A large cutting mat for covering.

A small cutting mat for sticks.

An insulation foam for quick work.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,818 Posts
Have the whole table spin on a rotissiere like a James Bond license plate, to access each surface...JK
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:13 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
I use a door,topped with 9 mm fibre board.A roll of 1200 grade lining paper gives me a fresh surface when needed,Also handy for drawing lines for alignment etc- and doodling,making notes etc.I have 6 12"x18" cutting mats arranged in any configuration needed.Also 2 18x24" fibre boards mounted on 2"foam that I use for cutting/assembling small parts while sat at ease in an arm chair.
/
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
For years I have used a 30 " x 40" heavy (about 1/8" thick) white art board obtainable from art supply stores (http://www.dickblick.com/products/cr...tration-board/). I like the white matte surface to work on, you can cut into it with a razor blade or X-acto knife without dulling them - though I use a small cutting mat when I do cut to save the art board - and you can drive pins into it. When one side gets too messed up I turn it 180 degrees and use the other side. For me, a board lasts 3 to four years. When I buy a new one I place it atop the old one so I can push pins deeper into it.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman