SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Help!
Double Horse 9053 Volitation issue

First I would like to start off by saying hi to everyone, since I am new here, and to flying. I recently bought a volitation heli in hopes to get into the flying hobby, I was told this was a pretty good heli for beginners, and overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

However, lately it has been acting up and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. It will start off fine but then after a few secs in flight it stops responding to the controls for a few secs then returns to normal for awhile.

The best way i can explain it is, it has a very slow response at times, I haven't been able to determine if it's random times or after the electronics warm up, it does it with or without the canopy on. Say I want to turn, well I push the stick then nothing then all of a sudden it starts turning in a 90-360 degree turn (noticed thats random), or if I need it to shut down right away I'll push the throttle down and it will stay going for a few secs then stop.

It almost seems as if it's losing signal from the remote then grabs it again, I did have a crash and it pulled the antenna from the board which i soldered back in and it seems ever since that crash it has been doing this, it is a 27Mhz.

Anybody else ever see this issue?
Thanks alot in advance for any help at all!
digital_slacker is offline Find More Posts by digital_slacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
You are definitely describing a loss of signal error. Are you letting the heli's antenna wire hang free, or did you try attaching it to or wrapping it around the tail boom after that crash? I once tried running the antenna straight along the boom with zip ties and found that the boom interferes with the radio reception when its run that way.

Wrapping the wire around the boom does the same thing. You must let that wire hang, even as exposed as it is. Also make sure your TX has good batteries in it or the range will suffer.

If all of the above checks out, try changing that heli antenna wire with a new one. The crash may have broken it inside the insulation and you can't see that. (Its rare, but it does happen)

Hope that helps,
-Don
Dont155 is offline Find More Posts by Dont155
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
I was letting it hang free until the crash, then i took the tube and taped it to the tail and ran the antenna along the body then up along the tail to avoid it getting pulled on again. I would have never thought the tail would interfere with it, I will take it off of there and let it hang differently and see if that improves anything.

I was thinking I was gonna have to get a new board for it. My first thought was dieing batteries in the remote and replaced and no change, but hopefully moving the antenna helps.

Thanks much!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
It seems that has fixed the issue, however i do need a new antenna now, its maybe 8" total length... As usual, it crashed and wrapped it up in the blades and cut it, I think it was a weak spot from the first crash though. But it hasn't had any poor response like before, even with he real short antenna, so I'm thinking that has fixed my issue.. Now i just gotta fix the operator!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
9053 double-horse

Just bought one myself and can't get it to work. Everything is charged, lights all working but there is no connection between heli and controller. Did try touching tail with aerial and it worked but stopped as soon as I pulled aerial away and as you can imagine it is really hard trying to fly while touching the tail. Does anyone have any ideas.
patties is offline Find More Posts by patties
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
My 9101 tail boom is made of metal. It looks like plastic but it IS metal; I can see silver underneath scratched paint; my tests suggest aluminium.

I think the 9053 isn't all that different to the 9101. If like the 9101 it has a metal tail boom, then this is the problem. Big metal things next to aerials are not a good idea.
smeggyhead is offline Find More Posts by smeggyhead
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
Run the antenna out to the lower part of the tail fin and attach it there.
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Run the antenna out to the lower part of the tail fin and attach it there.
Even that's not very good.
My friend also has a 9101 and he does as you recommend; he gets only 100m range.
With mine modified with straws guiding the antenna (away from the boom), I get a good 400m.
smeggyhead is offline Find More Posts by smeggyhead