HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
New F45 Pilot

Hi All.

My F45, camera kit and spare battery came today and is charging as we speak. I think I've read the majority of this thread and found it quite helpful. I'm not planning on doing any mods on anything until I get the hang of things. I need stable and slow right now.

I'm setting up the Tx now....75% on everything but throttle at 60% and see how that goes.

I'm taking a pretty big jump from a very complex S107G to this. Wish me well. I'm planning on taking it slow. I was going to attempt a few hovers in the basement later and just get a little feel for things.

Anywho...thought I'd introduce myself and get ready for the ride.

If it were you - should I go ahead and order my spare parts now so I can get them rolling my way from banggood or another online vendor? An extra motor, extra skids...etc.

Thanks again for all that took time to post in this thread all the great info.

GV
Grumpy Vet is offline Find More Posts by Grumpy Vet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Welcome Grumpy Vet. If you are in the cont. US you can try rcroanoke.com, or techntoys.come for parts.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Just wanted to say that I am very pleased with rcroanoke.com, Placed an order with them and had it usps in just a few days. Have communicated with them via e-mail and they have been very helpful, and are eager to please to get and keep our business. That was where I got the 9104 canopy for my modded f645.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Welcome Grumpy Vet. If you are in the cont. US you can try rcroanoke.com, or techntoys.come for parts.
Thank you arrow....that right there is why I registered....I'm in Ellicott City, MD - so Roanoke, VA is a wind gust away for my F45 to fly down there and pick something up for me. I'll definitely look them up today and order some skid bumpers and a few other things that I'm going to need.

Thanks guys for the info....I got lost towards the end of this thread - not having my heli and all the motor replacement talk....but again - great info.

Kudos to all.

Thanks for the affirmation tracker.
Grumpy Vet is offline Find More Posts by Grumpy Vet
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:57 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Congrats Grumpy! The F645 is a great heli!

I tried flying mine in 20mph gusts today. Do NOT try it! LOL

I hit my shop, 2 trees, and a light pole before deciding enough is enough. The F645 kept right on going. Gotta love it!
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:27 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Nice vids rexless. The first one froze at 2:40 but still had plenty to see. Does the canopy fit over the 3s lipo?
Hmm... I've deleted the video and am uploading a fresh rendering of it now. I'll fix the link shortly.

Unfortunately the stock canopy does not fit. I'm not too concerned about that anyway. I might try the canopy Brent suggested, I might rig up something custom since I don't care much about how it looks anyway, or I'll just leave it.... I can't fly it in the snow right now but I could probably figure something out for that but hey, summer's coming!!!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:12 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Hmm... I've deleted the video and am uploading a fresh rendering of it now. I'll fix the link shortly.

Unfortunately the stock canopy does not fit. I'm not too concerned about that anyway. I might try the canopy Brent suggested, I might rig up something custom since I don't care much about how it looks anyway, or I'll just leave it.... I can't fly it in the snow right now but I could probably figure something out for that but hey, summer's coming!!!
Try a darth scale. It would look neat and with the increase in head speed and a little more weight, you might have a bullet.http://darthdrk.4t.com/
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Vet View Post
Hi All.

My F45, camera kit and spare battery came today and is charging as we speak. I think I've read the majority of this thread and found it quite helpful. I'm not planning on doing any mods on anything until I get the hang of things. I need stable and slow right now.

I'm setting up the Tx now....75% on everything but throttle at 60% and see how that goes.

I'm taking a pretty big jump from a very complex S107G to this. Wish me well. I'm planning on taking it slow. I was going to attempt a few hovers in the basement later and just get a little feel for things.

If it were you - should I go ahead and order my spare parts now so I can get them rolling my way from banggood or another online vendor? An extra motor, extra skids...etc.

GV
Welkies to the finest forum about the 'best bang for your buck' copter around. Techntoys has a NJ wharehouse, so dont discard them right away. I had real good service with them, the 2200 maH 'f45 upgrade battery' died in 5-6 flights, contacted them and they sorted me right away with no 'return the failed battery first' bs.
A couple of the mods you might want to do, namely the shimming of the main blade grips, reinforcing the dogbone guides on the head, check the balance of the main blades (by weighing them), and check the flybar balance. There is another, it escapes me now. Also the rudder reduces the cyclic if the rudder is over 50-60%, you will find 60% rudder is plenty. I fly mostly stock and intend to keep 1 '45 as such, building the other with BL goodies.
cheers
Bob
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Had to drop in to see what's happening. Good to hear from some new folks. Glad Bob "Top" is having a good time - he bought one of my F45s. Never had much problem with fractured skids in Hawaii! Am messing with the F47 now. It kind of handles like the F45 but on a much smaller scale. Changed the stock flybar to a Z flybar. Helped a lot with the sliding in turns. This little guy is sturdy too - almost as good as the F45. Can't do the banked turns as there's just not enough weight to combat the "strange" mixing program. Still, goes between my trees really well (most of the time). Maybe a V911 Rx and some tweeking.......
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Just a note on reinforcing the dogbone guides. As I have commented earlier, I have gone the route of bending the dogbones to more act like the original "7" shaped bones and leaving the stock loops as they are. I have now gone through three sets of Xtreme blades on my F45/450, breaking them off at the root, and have yet to break an loop. Reinforcing the loops is a good mod but also a PITA. Bending the bones takes just a minute and it seems to be working for me.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:14 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Vet View Post
Hi All.

GV
Hi Grumpy, and welcome to the addiction. I'm sure you have a whole bunch of fun ahead of you .

Since you're flying stock in the meantime spare motors (both) would be a good idea. If you fly anything like me, blades, tail rotors, skids, and possibly a flybar in case you manage to bend it too much, should also go in the basket.

I've bought all my spares from Banggood so far EXCEPT THE TAIL MOTOR as it's ridiculously expensive. I bought the whole tail assembly instead, as most of the bits on it will no doubt be required at some point.

The only other bit of advice I'd give at the moment is, should you decide to mod after flying stock for a while, buy a 2nd F45... otherwise the downtime will kill ya!!!
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:20 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Guys, I need your help. Is there any option how to test if the stock F45 battery charger is working correctly? I really dont want to destroy more batteries...
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:33 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
My stock motor just died...20ft up.. Nothing got broken or bent during the crash. I thought it was battery problem. I tested the motor by connecting it direct to a spare battery, and nothing happened. Time to get another motor.
Rbsix is offline Find More Posts by Rbsix
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:39 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Guys, I need your help. Is there any option how to test if the stock F45 battery charger is working correctly? I really dont want to destroy more batteries...
All I know is that the red led lights when charging, green when charged.

BEWARE!! The green led is really just an indication that the batteries are more or less charged, as it still keeps charging even when lit. I tried this out as my battery was only at 8.1V or so when the light came on, left it hanging on the charger and took it off when it had reached 8.2.

If you have a cell tester it's a good idea to check with it, as the stock charger DOES NOT BALANCE THE CELLS!! I've had batteries that showed 1 cell at 4.15V and the other as high as 4.24V . Even to my uneducated mind, that is too much of an imbalance. Time to invest in a balance charger methinks .

Cheers
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:11 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Just a note on reinforcing the dogbone guides. As I have commented earlier, I have gone the route of bending the dogbones to more act like the original "7" shaped bones and leaving the stock loops as they are. I have now gone through three sets of Xtreme blades on my F45/450, breaking them off at the root, and have yet to break an loop. Reinforcing the loops is a good mod but also a PITA. Bending the bones takes just a minute and it seems to be working for me.
Arrow - Do you have a pic of what you did? Do I heat them up slightly with something? Thanks!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by baddb1; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:20 AM.