Sound great Sam.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
3 piece wing construction, holding up so far. I haven't really honked on it that hard yet to truly test it, but I have grabbed it by each wingtip at full gross weight and shook pretty hard and didn't hear any pops. Any questions feel free to ask, IMO very much worth the effort to do, as it makes storage and transport much easier and I still retain the ability to remove the center section like normal.

Now I just have to do the gear doors, lipo relocation is just about done, now using Glacier 8s 8000's so the lipos won't be working so hard. Last flight at eJets I blew a cell on the nano's. I knew that was coming....

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
Flew 2 flights tonight at 4.5" aft of LE, no trim changes. I was at 3.5" previously. This was caused by switching to 4x 4s 4000 packs from 2x 4s 6000s. Just keeps getting better every time i fly it.

Jay
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
914 Posts
How is the inverted position? Like to know so I can practice my slow roll routine. No other flights since ejets and fixing the nose gear pin. More to come shortly
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
Inverted is about the same as with the more forward cg, maybe a a touch less down elevator needed to hold. It also wont drop a wingtip at the stall, took it up high and dirty and tried, just dipped the nose and flew on.

Jay
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
914 Posts
Hey Jay, hows things up your way?
I went fliying, ie one flight but 7 mins, I love the flight time but i realy need to, or would like, to shift the CG back some more but that would mean splitting the forward battery pack into 2 seperate 3s packs. Dont know if i like that idea. I would then place one of those over the aft 6s pack but dont know if that would move enought weight.
The other idea is to maybe lessen the ma size and use smaller capacity packs but at great expense of flight time. You have any ideas Jay???
The gear placement also might come into play also due to a more aft CG but need ot try this battery thing first.
Last edited by sam51401; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
Mine got really light on the nosewheel at 4.5" but taxing was no problem, even bouncing on grass. Keep a bit of power on, the nose will stay planted. As far as moving the lipos, with 6s bricks one kind of limited, but I put all 4 of mine in the tunnel, leaving the area under the hatch open for the Rx, BEC's and 2s lipos for radio and gear. When I get home I'll measure how far back my wheels are from the LE of the wing to see if there is any difference in yours that might help or hinder. Gotta love the 7 min flights, I like the power mine has, limited as it is. Oh and I wasn't going to tell you this, but perhaps you might find it reassuring. My AUW at ejets was 17.5lbs, now flying at 18.5. Slides thru the air, and still floats in for landings. Knife edge passes look spectacular as well. Almost have the dirty roll on takeoff down :-)

Jay
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
914 Posts
WOW!!! Can you send me your Castle data so i could compare somewhat. The raw file from the download.
I know its not a direct compare but thinking of maybe the 8s route also.
Your weight is suprising since we both thought yours was the lighter of the two and now your a little heavier but still having fun. Says a lot i believe!
Yesterday i flew at a field that has a 800' paved strip (which i paid dues to join last week!) and the other field i fly at has a 500' I really need to practice my approaches so has not to bend that nose leg pin but it sure looks nice hitting the mains and then let the nose drop 50 or so feet afterwards.
I will try for more video next timeout.
After the Warbird fly-in in two weeks, my season of flying pretty much wraps up so the Hog will be stripped down and made ready for final painting and also see about a new battery arrangement.
Now, if i can get another gent in Indy to build his and be ready for EJEts next year, that would really draw the attention.
There will be a Scale meet here in May and ill enter mine in Open Fun Scale and see how it does. I won two years ago with my GS P47 so will see. I like that class since it is fun scale and it really grades you on how you fly and not how detailed and exact the plane is.
Thanks Jay for your help and input and cant wait to fly with you again.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
914 Posts
How are things going Jay?
Got a few more flights in and the last one had a crosswind! How much does yours weathervane when coming in on approach with a cross? I added OPPOSITE rudder trim on the last approach and it helped some, again i need to learn to fly it down and not let it settle on its own. I might need a slightly stronger nose gear setup since i have been bending the nose gear pin more often then not but i kind of figured at teh weight we have them at, gear issues would surface.
How are your gear holding up? No more video as of yet but will try before the whole season ends and i cant wait to start finishing this out.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
914 Posts
Jay, hows things been?
Im working on a gear/retract change for this winter and will be ready next year stronger for sure. Been talking with Robart about a electric series that will fit the mounting requirements for this plane. I bent the nose gear trunnion!!!!!!! BUT good news, the mounting held up great and still secure.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:23 AM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
88 Posts
WOW!! Great thread Jay, Awesome flying in that vid too!!
willey is offline Find More Posts by willey
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:07 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
914 Posts
Been awhile from last post from you Jay so any new updates or details???
I changed out my Eflite gear fro Robart and that will make a big difference on how it can handle rough/grass fields, so bent pins wont be a concern. I have two sets of flight batteries ready once i rearrange the inside but will work on that next before the Bluegrass Jet Jam. THis event in Bowling Green KY is said to be the "successor" to EJets since Torks passed on holding it again.
I hope i can change from the 6s2p current battery to a 8s2p but using 5000mah instead of the 5800mah 6s. I have the idea to run 2 4s in series then bus that together with another same 4s2s set. Jay, you dropped to 4000mah packs in your 8s setup so like to hear what flight times you are still getting.
I also have 2 3s packs that i may try 7s if i cant fit the 8s setup.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,505 Posts
Hello guys

This is a side note. I am working on my latest project at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1956566&page=3

Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother