Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:32 AM
avt
Hell Flyer
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,224 Posts
Discussion
Any foam sport planes out there?

I read about the Rainbow F3A which looks pretty nice.
I wonder if there are any other options.

I really don't want to get a balsa plane for one reason only, which is obvious.
Yes, I'm afraid to crash it. And I know that once that happens, I'll have to get a new plane.
I don't have any skills or tools to repair a broken wing, nor do I want to.
So for me, getting a foam plane which can be glued back together (if possible) is a very appealing option.

Is anyone familiar with such a plane?
avt is online now Find More Posts by avt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:00 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,193 Posts
Not familiar with the Rainbow. The Multiplex Parkmaster is foam hybrid that will do precision and 3D. You'd have better luck searching in other forums. Even in the 3D foamie forum, some of the 3D guys like to fly precision to hone 3D skills. A foamie Katana may be what you are looking for. Longer fuse for presicion flying. Foam is your friend! Stay with it until you know you're ready for balsa. Have fun!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:06 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,227 Posts
What about GWS Formosa, or the larger Formosa 2?

They are breakable but also repairable. With a little patience, you could make them look good too.

(I should really build another Formosa. This time make it better and prettier than my first one...)
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:35 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
My friend got Rainbow but not much impressed. Wing was somewhat warped. It should be specific to his unit but better check when you get that. It is not unbreakable either. It broke into pieces.

Rainbow is a large 40-50 size plane which requires 4s or 5s battery. Too bad it was not released in smaller size. I think it apealled more if it were around 1 - 1.5kg range. It is a good water plane with float attached.

I find balsa ARF plane is much easier to build, flies accurately. Also easier to repair unless you break fuse completely. 25 size sport plane (in my case Hyperion Helios 25e) was the easiest to fly. For smaller form plane, Formosa is all time winner. (Formosa II was a bit too flexible and required some work) You also have several choises in 1kg range, such as Parkmaster or Sniper II X and more.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:47 PM
avt
Hell Flyer
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
My friend got Rainbow but not much impressed. Wing was somewhat warped. It should be specific to his unit but better check when you get that. It is not unbreakable either. It broke into pieces.

Rainbow is a large 40-50 size plane which requires 4s or 5s battery. Too bad it was not released in smaller size. I think it apealled more if it were around 1 - 1.5kg range. It is a good water plane with float attached.

I find balsa ARF plane is much easier to build, flies accurately. Also easier to repair unless you break fuse completely. 25 size sport plane (in my case Hyperion Helios 25e) was the easiest to fly. For smaller form plane, Formosa is all time winner. (Formosa II was a bit too flexible and required some work) You also have several choises in 1kg range, such as Parkmaster or Sniper II X and more.

Satoru
I actually like the fact that it ways more than 2kg. Here where it's windy almost all the time, that would be an advantage, wouldn't it?

I also don't understand how can you say that a balsa plane is easier to fix? What if a wing broke? What's easier than taking the EPO pieces and CA them back together?

I will look into those planes you mentioned. Thanks.
avt is online now Find More Posts by avt
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:00 PM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Hi avt,

I see. I live closer to sea and it was always windy when I can fly near my house. I agree sport plane, not 3D plane is what you will need.

I am not sure size helps much. To fly in a strong wind, I guess you will need speed (prop with higher pitch), power and medium to high wing loading in low drag plane. Does not need to be heavy because it makes landing difficult but not too light as pure 3D planes.

Probably you want to prepare power set on your own, not supplied as ready to fly. Choose higher pitch prop, definitely not slowfly type prop most RTF foam plane comes with.

When I flew Formosa, I gave 150 - 180W input power (3s, 15=20A) with total weidht of 5-600g or so with APC 9x6e or 8x8e, reignfoced wing and moving surfaces. I flew in windy condition when gas flyers gave up.

Foam plane is hard to repair when foam is collapsed, especially larger one. It was the same in Rainbow. I agree light weight stylish 2 piece wing plane is hard to repair if it breaks around center fuse. Take a look at 1 piece low or high winged plane with boxy fuse. Good trainers (Kyosho Calmart for example) are designed to break to be easy to repair. It has one piece wing and rear wing mount is designed to break there, which you can glue it quick. Form Multiplex Magister/Mentor is also good. (oops. these are trainer style plane...)

Hope this helps.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:57 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The DW Foamies Gen-X and Sport Pylon Racers are all sporty planes and love to do precision/aerobatics all day long. DW has a handful of sizes available too
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:54 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
Foam plane is hard to repair when foam is collapsed, especially larger one.
The worst I've fixed was a broken/bent/crushed nose on my ugly Formosa. I had to cut out a regular shaped piece and replace with some packing foam I found in the trash...
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime