HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2014, 03:02 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
Jeff, surely your ship is going to exceed 150 pounds. ....

Ray, you are correct. My Fair American Brig more than likely will tip the scale around 250 lbs. I just looked at the pictures of the boat's first float test from years ago. With 80 lbs of ballast the brig was not even down to its water line. Ballast may be 100 lbs more or less. ( will be combination of external and internal) I have not weighed the boat hull, but it is fairly hefty already. Jethro Bodine is better at math than me.
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:15 AM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
57 Posts
Hitec HS - 805BB Mega Power servo is finding its home in the tray. The servo tray is removable.

The control line helps visualize the layout. The current screw eyes are for testing. More robust ones will be installed when location for them is finalized. The wood support for the screw eyes will then be epoxied in place.

The 805 servo is powerful at 343 oz-in of torque. 90 degrees of rotation will be set for 45 degrees to starboard and 45 to port. If I recall correctly, DanL said 30 degrees each direction worked well on his Syren.
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Today, 09:48 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevWarBrig View Post
The 805 servo is powerful at 343 oz-in of torque. 90 degrees of rotation will be set for 45 degrees to starboard and 45 to port. If I recall correctly, DanL said 30 degrees each direction worked well on his Syren.
The 30degree rudder swing recommendation comes from SC&H and is the typical range used on a lot of the models in our club. With the rudder extension on Syren, 30 degrees is more than enough, and I now have it tuned to a bit less and have the servo speed set low to get a more gradual response.

The servo swing/rudder swing ratio will depend on the relative lengths of the actuating arms. To get the best mechanical advantage and use of servo power, set the servo for full 45deg rotation and shorten the servo arm to get the desired rudder swing. Then the rudder arm should be made longer than the servo arm to get 30 degree rotation. The ratio of arm lengths should be 45:30, e.g. 3" rudder arm and 2" servo arm.

Another mechanical efficiency improvement, using a two-end servo arm can eliminate a turn and overall drag in the control line path. See sketch...
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL