SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:18 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake Fournier RF-4 Prototype Build

This is my first prototype build... I suggested a plane to be drawn by Peter, and I came back with another one to try...
I wanted to build a Fournier, and this gave me a good occasion to try a nice project.
Although I'll starting the real cutting and building in a few days, I already opened the build log to host some question coming in mind when looking at plans.
This Fournier is a 60" one, aimed at more or less a bell brushless. Wing is one piece, removable.
I'll start with the fuse, which is suggesting me some question, partly due to my scarce knowledge of Peter Rake plans, partly to my scarce knowledge in general.
So, Peter please take a look:
  • I sorted out most acronyms used in plans, except one: "TS" in "TS between sides", in the tail... I'm scratching my head, no ideas.
  • on the fuse side, the half bottom part is made in sticks, partly covered by 1/8" balsa, while the top part is covered with 1/16 balsa. It is not clear to me whether the covering pieces of the bottom part are placed over the sticks or inside them. In fact, I tried to measure the round formers on top, and from that it seems that covering should stay into the stick frame, but I'm not sure. It is difficult to explain that, if needed I'll do a drawing.
  • I'm also not sure whether there is some stick going all the way from the nose to the tail.
Unless I'm missing something, I do not see other unclear points.
Thank you!
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Last edited by tacchino; Jun 16, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:12 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Hi mate, This is the way I like things to go, ask any questions BEFORE making mistakes. So, feel free to ask all the questions you like.

1) TS would normally indicate a tailskid plate. I saw no point changing that just because this one has a tail wheel.

2) The side pices you refer to are neither inside or outside the strips at the fron part. They replace the strip structure. At the rear, they are between the longerons. See the Powell Racer thread to see this more clearly.

3)No, no strip extends from nose to tail. The built up section joins the solid sheet front parts. The hatched (shaded) areas indicate which parts are 1/8 balsa sheet. Once again, that shows up in the Powell thread - or pretty much any f the build threads going on at the moment, Powell, Messenger, Martinsyde and Andraesson.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
1) Doh! TailSkid!

2) and 3): thank you, found this reference picture that I link here for further interested people.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:18 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
first cuts

I have cut the pair of sides and tail sides from 3mm balsa, and prepared also longerons for them, according to what can be seen in the link above. No glue yet.
Front part seems very robust with that thickness, I suppose will spend some time in curving it... on the other side, I'll spend much less time at first unlucky landings.
Last edited by tacchino; Jun 16, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:38 AM
Cumbria
Joined Apr 2003
371 Posts
Nice, subscribed
sparkinwheels is offline Find More Posts by sparkinwheels
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:22 AM
Ft. Wayne, IN. USA
Joined Apr 2001
110 Posts
Thanks,the Fournier is my favorite! I'll be watching.

Steve
rctinman is offline Find More Posts by rctinman
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:45 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Sparkinwheels, rctinman: thank you for your interest. Does this mean I have to build faster?

Anyway, I glued sides using PU, and cut F2 and F4 in 3mm ply. I'll slightly score the internal part of sides in the nose to help curvature, like I've seen on another Peter Rake build log.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Some bits more

Not much to tell, no difficulties on this part.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:52 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Again, I took inspiration from the Powell racer build log (but reversed) to assemble the fuse: first glued ply formers on one side, then glued the other side to the rest. I traced some light scores inside the nose sides, to help in bending.
I also cut balsa blocks for the nose: bottom is 8x11 cm, 2cm thick; top could be 8x10, 3cm thick but if you consider the part under the canopy, 16cm is the right length. As I did not have a 3cm thick block, I glued two layers from a 15mm balsa table.
I thought a little bit at motor cowling and cheecks: as cowling should be removable, cheeks should be glued to it, and not to the fuse. I will not like to sand those pieces, Manzanolaser could make them vacuformed...

I'm also not sure whether Peter foresees some hatch in the bottom part of nose, or battery bay should be accessed from under the wing. I suppose the latter, however.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:04 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,658 Posts
Since an RF4 has been a favorite of mine for many years I may have to do the work for vac formed canopy and cowl

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:43 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Since an RF4 has been a favorite of mine for many years I may have to do the work for vac formed canopy and cowl

charlie
. Canopy is not really difficult, while the nose seems more complex. Anyway, think at it: by the way, Peter said that this Fournier is aimed at beginners, this would be a great help.

In the meantime, wind and, in the last minutes, also rain are not in favour of flying, so I did the top part of nose.
First, I drawed the shape of the back part on both sides, then grossly reduced the bloc symmetrically on front and back (to have the same curvature in the part below canopy), and then I thinned the front part to F1 shape. The finishing will occur after mounted on the fuse. 30gr as is, yet to be hollowed.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 06:23 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
I started to bend nose sides, after dampening them with hot water.
I cut a template I placed internally, to maintain shape.
However, as the fuse centre tends to enlarge when doing that, it could be better to glues fuse doublers and wing bolt plate before bending nose. Actually, I'll do it this afternoon.
I also prepared the bottom nose block (19 gr).

To try to maintain a materials list, until now I used two balsa sheets 3mmx100x1000, and a couple of square balsa sticks (3x3mm x 1000), plus 3mm ply, pieces.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:23 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Yes, it's a good idea to get as much internal structure as possible in place before pulling in the nose. Otherwise, as you noted, the sides will bow outwards, where we don't want them bowed outwards.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:38 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb

charlie
Hi Charlie.

If you do get around to vacuum forming a canopy please let me know!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:50 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
Yes, it's a good idea to get as much internal structure as possible in place before pulling in the nose. Otherwise, as you noted, the sides will bow outwards, where we don't want them bowed outwards.

Pete
In fact, I came back here now to document my first mistake: of course is much better to put doublers and wing bolt plate before gluing sides together, and not only for robustness. It can be done even after (as I did), but is a little bit more difficult: I have glue on many fingers now .