SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:03 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Question
Name this boat!

Needing some info on this boat please. My original thought was that it is a Dumas Hot Shot of some sort, however after searching, it seems all the Dumas boats I have found have a full enclosed cockpit area, and do not look like this. Also, any opinions would be welcome as I have yet to run the boat. Thanks!

Jive
jive is offline Find More Posts by jive
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2009, 07:11 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,842 Posts
It should be you naming you're own boats and don't use wine bottle, it will probably break the boat instead.

But since you want us to name her for you, I would want to caller her.

M I S S F A S T Y
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:11 PM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
This is a Dumas 3.5 "Hotshot"...!
I use to have one, the top of the cowl is held in place by 4 screws, not much room for this, I used brass inserts to hold the cowl in place.

the flat part forward of the cowl is were I had my ant. that way I didnt have to mess with it when removeing the cover.

you must re-inforce the rear transom, remove it or use a good epoxy resin over the entire rear transom drill your mounting holes and fill the holes in with epoxy resin so water does not soak in the wood!

you can also use alum. plate 1/16 on the rear transom on both sides using epoxy resin & small clamps to hold in place, when done panit& drill and fill holds for mount with epoxy resin.

good luck,
USMC & Viking...! & Little Jack...!
USMC & Viking is offline Find More Posts by USMC & Viking
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:21 PM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
There is a Dumas sticker on the inside toward front part of the boat, if someone hasent painted over it.

and I see you have the tank facing the way it is suppose to be...!
when running all engines the fuel will be pushed to the rear,thats were the clunk is, if it were forward you would run out of fuel even though you still have fuel in the tank.

if you want pic's of how I re-built the rear transom on my hydro let me know, it was done in the same way as my Hotshot tunnel.

Old Apr 08, 2009, 11:06 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
You won't find it in any of their current catalogs as it's been out of production for many years. I had one back in 1979-80.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Apr 09, 2009, 03:26 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
thanks to all that replied! i assume the front part of the board had a windscreen and perhaps a pilot figure of some sort?

jive
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:34 AM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
Here are some pic's of the rear trasom on my Dumas "Drag-n-Fly" 40
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:02 AM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
Here's what it looks like, it use to have a engine inboard I gutted it and made ithe radio box in the center, tank to the rear, and the rear transom for a K&B 3.5 outboard engine I added turn fins to help in the turns, I used brass inserts to hold the covers on & to the turn fins.

the boat is not painted, I used Epoxy Resin w/a coloring agent
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
My transom area looks like this, and I dunno what the black block is for. I can tell you the previous owner said it did cavitate a lot. It seems that the motor should've been mounted straight on the red transom. I am not sure why they used the black block to push it out so far.
Last edited by jive; Apr 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:23 PM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
My guess is that the engine was bolted to the block at one time, w/o the mount you now have.

as you can see the rear transom is not protected from water, this will get wet & the bolts will be pulled through the wood. I would remove the block, leaving the mount on the engine line it up were the lower end barely touches or maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the rear, mark this spot on the inside as for you new transom.

if you can wait I'm going to install a motor mount same as yours om my Top Speed 2

OK, you mount is 3/4 of a inch and from the engine hinge plate & lower end is a 1/2 inch.

so from the transom to the rear of you boat there should be from 1/2 to 1 inch before mounting the engine mount.

if you need help with this just ask. I been sick for awhile now and losing my eye sight.
but will try and help you as much as I can.

Take Care,
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:27 PM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
need a pic of the bottom side toward the rear, to see if theres a notch cut in the rear.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:34 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC & Viking
need a pic of the bottom side toward the rear, to see if theres a notch cut in the rear.
Here ya go. I did talk to the original owner, and he said that the motor had been moved back due to not being able to get enough movement in the rudder. I think the arms that the control rods hook to on the motor were rubbing or something.

Jive
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:39 PM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
OK, looks like someone modded the rear, also I think the engine is too low.
the prop should line up with the bottom of the sponson were it meets the water line, looking from the rear.

Take a look at this one,
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Dumas-Ho...3A1%7C294%3A50

Take Care,
Last edited by USMC & Viking; Apr 17, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:09 AM
Madera , Calif.
Joined Jul 2007
402 Posts
look at page 14, this will help you as to alinging the prop
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:13 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Thanks! I'll read through this, and hopefully my boat will be ready to rumble at our first float fly coming up.

Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC & Viking
look at page 14, this will help you as to alinging the prop