HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2015, 02:35 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,731 Posts
Question
Momentarily Touched Battery Wires

I was changing a connector from XT 60 to EC3 on a 3S 1300 lipo. Doing one wire at a time I soldered the barrel on the red wire. I then unsoldered the black wire. I then discovered that I hadn't put the blue cover over the red wire barrel. As I was I was starting to put the red wire barrel in the cover the black wire sprung up and touched the red barrel with a pretty good flash. I finished putting on the connector and voltage looks ok. Is this battery toast?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2015, 02:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2014
63 Posts
test it on your charger
it's prolly OK
NorCali is online now Find More Posts by NorCali
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2015, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I was changing a connector from XT 60 to EC3 on a 3S 1300 lipo. Doing one wire at a time I soldered the barrel on the red wire. I then unsoldered the black wire. I then discovered that I hadn't put the blue cover over the red wire barrel. As I was I was starting to put the red wire barrel in the cover the black wire sprung up and touched the red barrel with a pretty good flash. I finished putting on the connector and voltage looks ok. Is this battery toast?
Not necessarily. Measure the volatges of each cell and see if they are still reasonably balanced.

Some makers use a PCB interconnection board with a thin track to act as a fuse. If you read zero volts on the main connector then this has blown open circuit and the pack is scrap unless you feel brave enough to do a repair.
Always tape up one connection before you solder the other!

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2015, 05:02 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Not necessarily. Measure the volatges of each cell and see if they are still reasonably balanced.

Some makers use a PCB interconnection board with a thin track to act as a fuse. If you read zero volts on the main connector then this has blown open circuit and the pack is scrap unless you feel brave enough to do a repair.
Always tape up one connection before you solder the other!

Wayne
All voltages on all three cells read good as does total pack voltage. If the pack is questionable not a big deal to toss it. I just don't want it to catch my house on fire.

This was just one of those "whoopsies." When using bullet connectors I normally do one wire at a time and don't even strip the other until the first barrel is covered in heat shrink. This being my first attempt with EC3's I missed a step and Mr. Murphy stepped in.

Thanks for the info.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2015, 08:46 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,399 Posts
Time will tell. There is no way to tell how much that pack was damaged at this time. If it continues to perform well, then little damage was done. If it dies prematurely, then some more serious damage was done. Time will tell.

What if any changes are there in IR and pack capacity?

For me, my serious shorts have caused a loss of performance over a few weeks/months.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2015, 10:38 AM
Registered User
E-Challenged's Avatar
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,450 Posts
And don't cut through both red and black wires, with wire cutters, at the same time.

When soldering battery wires to bullet connectors or Deans Ultras, strip, tin, install heat shrink tubing and solder one wire at a time to connector terminals. Slip tubing down to cover the connection before doing repeating steps for the other wire. Red wire goes to top of the "T" terminal on Deans Ultras.

How many of us have forgotten the heat shrink tubing
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2015, 11:23 AM
Registered User
apriliamille's Avatar
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
And don't cut through both red and black wires, with wire cutters, at the same time.
)

oh man this brought back memories of my very first lipo battery and doing this. i was sitting there thinking "what was that pop noise, why is the battery warm now. hey my battery is broke"
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Brand New Hitec X1-200 Touch Screen Battery Charger wrong17 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Dec 14, 2014 12:32 PM
Sold Brand New Hitec X1-200 Touch Screen Battery Charger wrong17 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Dec 09, 2014 12:19 PM
For Sale Brand New Hitec X1-200 Touch Screen Battery Charger wrong17 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Dec 04, 2014 02:13 AM
Question Help! Resoldering on XT60 connector, battery wire ends touched mrpotatohead2234 Batteries and Chargers 15 Nov 11, 2014 04:40 PM
Sold X1-200 Touch, 200-Watt DC Input, Multi-Chemistry Touch Screen Battery Charger daskip87 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Nov 05, 2013 12:11 AM