HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2015, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,368 Posts
New Product
Low wing fuselages!

I started this back near the beginning of 2014 and it's been a VERY long journey. I am absolutely sick of sanding and polishing. But it's finally paying off!

Over the last several years there have been a number of very nice 1-piece fuselages made available for homebuilders, and I offer a tremendous "THANK YOU" to all who have produced those. I especially appreciate Adam and Tom and others who have shared so much knowledge on the process. The one thing I haven't seen offered yet is a 1-pc fuselage designed for a low wing configuration. That's the gap I wanted to fill.

Roland, the late designer of the Concept series of DLGs (we will forever miss you, Roland) shared that his testing showed a 15-20% increase in launch height when he first started experimenting with a low wing. Imagine that combined with a high aspect ratio wing! I think that hoping for that kind of improvement over the current crop of high-wing DLGs is a little optimistic, but I do believe that there is still a launch benefit with the low wing. Plus, I think it looks awesome

This one is designed around a Zone V2 wing with a root chord of 165mm, though I've checked with templates and it looks like you can get a very good fit with wings that are 155-175mm. I haven't checked anything larger or smaller than that, but I don't think the fit will suffer much as long as you don't go too crazy.

The dimensions of the fuse are:
Overall length: 98cm
LE to tail length: 77cm

Once the final version of the Synergy II wing is released (huge thanks to Gerald for all his work here!) I'll make a second mold to fit that wing. Everything other than the wing saddle will be exactly the same between the two molds.

I am now making 2.4-friendly fuses with kevlar noses! The price is $115 plus $10 for shipping. In order to keep a record of outgoing messages and to keep my PM box from filling too quickly, if you'd like to get on the wait list then please email me at brandon.willis901(at)gmail.com.

Below are some pics of the first part out of the mold. The weight is 40.5g. This is the stiffest fuse I have personally ever handled. I subjected it to my usual stiffness test and the deflection was half of what my best ever rolled boom was! After doing some destructive testing I can see that the boom is completely overbuilt. The pic below shows every clamp in my shop hanging from the end of the boom, which leads me to the conclusion that I need more clamps . After this I searched the shop for any scrap of steel I could hang on it and finally broke it with 6.2kg. I think I can take a little weight out

I took pictures throughout the mold-making process and can post them if people are interested. I pretty closely followed Adam's (wyowindworks) method, so there's really nothing new. His look better than mine, anyway .

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Last edited by bwill6; Feb 07, 2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added fuse length and price info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2015, 12:46 PM
United States, ME, Brunswick
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
That looks awesome! I'm impressed by the strength. Look forward to seeing one mated to Geralds wing when that is ready.

--treadwm

And you can never have enough clamps!
treadwm is offline Find More Posts by treadwm
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,398 Posts
Very nice Brandon

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:31 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,396 Posts
Brandon, you are crazy!! You do not live in the frozen tundra anymore! Get outside and enjoy what East So Cal has to offer.

Very nice though.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
22,287 Posts
I might want one if the wings ever get finalized for the Synergy. Then I can use some of the material that Terry sold me!
They look very strong. Maybe some other material for the boom section would get the weight down further and be acceptably strong in the back?
Congrats on the success!
R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:56 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,239 Posts
Looks great. Can you make them with a Kevlar nose so they are 2.4 friendly?
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 02, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,368 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking just using a lighter weave in the boom will be sufficient to bring the weight down. I planned to make the first heavy and slowly try to wiggle weight out from there. With a lighter weave in the boom I'm hoping I can take about 4g out.

A word about kevlar:
I really don't like kevlar. Yes, it is superior to glass in terms of strength and durability. However, if I use it then the fuses will be more expensive. Period. It's not a material cost thing. It's just that I have to cut out the pieces one by one, whereas with carbon and glass I can stack several layers on the cutting mat and cut them all at once with the rotary cutter. So I'd rather avoid using it so that I can keep the cost lower and so that I can get more fuses out per month. Plus I think it's ugly, but that's just my opinion. What do y'all think? Are full carbon fuses ok? How important is it that they be 2.4-friendly?
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,368 Posts
The other thing I like about carbon is that I'm already using it in the boom, so I can just make a single piece that spans the entire fuselage length. Again, fewer pieces to cut out and faster production times.

If 2.4-friendly is desired, does it make any difference if it's glass or kevlar? The weight penalty for using glass might be a gram or two. But again, it will be less expensive. Thoughts? As much as I don't care for kevlar, it's the end user's opinion that matters and not mine. If it's worth a few extra bucks to you guys then that's what I'll do.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:53 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,362 Posts
Like it !
Yuri,-middle name "sanding and polishing"
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:55 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,505 Posts
B, I think a 2.4 friendly nose is very important. Kristoff uses dyed black glass or Kevlar, not sure which, it matches the cf fuse and looks great. Thats how my Helios were done, and I think they look just fine!

I hate worrying about interference issues!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:43 PM
King Of The Night
USA, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2006
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
B, I think a 2.4 friendly nose is very important. Kristoff uses dyed black glass or Kevlar, not sure which, it matches the cf fuse and looks great. Thats how my Helios were done, and I think they look just fine!

I hate worrying about interference issues!
+1

Whiskers are so 2011 or whenever Stobels were in vogue !
rexnuktia is online now Find More Posts by rexnuktia
Old Jan 02, 2015, 04:35 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,679 Posts
Just use glass with black pigmented epoxy.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Jan 02, 2015, 05:32 PM
Goodnight Irene
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,560 Posts
I'm not a fan of Kevlar. IIRC the resin doesn't really bond to the Kevlar anyway so I would think glass would not give up all that much.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 02, 2015, 05:48 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,429 Posts
Cool. Low wing fuses look very nice to me.
Im kind of in love with the orange binary4. Seen it in person, its the best looking in the crowd imho.l, got to have me a low wing soon.

Wait till you see my 1 meter low wing mold. It will take me 1 week and estimate will cost $10.
best of all, no sanding.

Yes, i set my goals high. Project is in planning phase, but getting there.

Might i fail, perhaps you can make a customer out of me
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jan 02, 2015, 08:16 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,440 Posts
I'd rather have a 2.4 friendly pod, and it's not important to me whether it's dyed to match the carbon. I like kevlar but I can see how it would slow you down in a production setting.

Rasmus, I'm looking forward to seeing your $10 mold....that's my kind of budget I hope you'll do a build thread

- Jim
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT