SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,861 Posts
I recall when a kid, that coming out of winter to find a 50 day felt rather balmy and enticing to get out and enjoy it. Here... the field shuts down below 60
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,861 Posts
btw... I flew the Travel Air two flights on Sunday. Had a bit of cross wind and the first takeoff was not pretty. Keeping it straight was a problem and I lifted her off slightly prematurely and a wing dropped. It was caught in time and powered out of harms way but cause for some pucker factor.

The second takeoff was redeeming and went very well. For it... takes offs are harder than landing. I've about concluded why early airdromes were just large fields allowing takeoffs into the wind no matter the direction... cross wind takeoffs on those short coupled designs was challenging.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
1,625 Posts
Congratulations on the two flights!
flyerinokc is online now Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by ARUP
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,249 Posts
+1 Hopefully someone can get some photos!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,861 Posts
I think I've created some confusion. I maidened and went through a period of flight trimming with the Travel Air 6000 some time back and documented with pictures and flight video in the Travel Air thread.
Old May 20, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
921 Posts
One good thing about Tom's threads is no matter how long you spend away is always easy to catch up again! Thanks, mate!

About your balancing issue: the literature recommends to allow your CG travel between 20-33% of the aerodynamic mean chord. As the Ryan have a rectangular wing, the mean chord is no different from the root chord.

If your CG is placed in between 20-33% of the chord length, measured from the leading edge, you will be fine. 20% will fly a bit nose heavy and 33% a bit unstable/tail heavy.

I'll try to be more present again. Have been missing all this fun lately, but my college thesis is killing me. Be safe, buddy!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old May 21, 2015, 05:17 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,339 Posts
Hi Wil

Good to hear from you.

There's been no progress on the Ryan. At the moment, I'm building a new deck in my back yard.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 22, 2015, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
10,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
When I was a boy, I'd visit the starter/generator shop of an older gentleman. A prop was mounted above the side door to his shop. Years later when owning a car of my own that needing service, I visited the shop and the aging gentleman told the story of once owning a plane, but stubbornly getting out of flying when a license was required.

The short story and follow up
http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/oldmilt.html
Thank you for that story..Our local "Milt" was Melrose Burlin...a man who 'fit' Milt's story to a T..Blacksmith, Veterinarian, Farmer......everybody's helper...He owned a Horse-drawn Road Grader, and helped the County with it's road problems.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Balsa cowls
Old May 22, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Thank you for that story..Our local "Milt" was Melrose Burlin...a man who 'fit' Milt's story to a T..Blacksmith, Veterinarian, Farmer......everybody's helper...He owned a Horse-drawn Road Grader, and helped the County with it's road problems.
Long live the memories of the Milt's and Melrose's. Their characters were notable and of great value.