Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by alpea 41
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,709 Posts
Cool I went through attachments under my user name and found my 75% night flyer its videos are here. Jun 8 2011 lol 5 years ago
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11814

Dang there's a lot of beautifull Polaris' es in the attachments
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by pmdevlin
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
ok all,

what are the thoughts for 120% fast setup flying on 4 cells, I was going to move everything across from my standard size, but was thinking maybe keep that as a flier and start fresh on the 120%

thanks
pmdevlin is offline Find More Posts by pmdevlin
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,797 Posts
Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer

If the linear dimensions are 120%, then area and weight will be around 144% for similar handling. So weight about 30-32oz. Power about 150% of regular 220 watts. I would say 300-350 watts would do it but you say you'd like more so here's my suggestion.

A motor of about 1400-1500 KV rated for 30A and 4s, which corresponds to about 400-500 watts. The motor will probably weigh around 70 to 100g. Prop for 4s should probably be APC 8x4. This should also fly quite well on 3s with an 8x6 prop.

Here's an example:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_560W.html
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 06, 2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:37 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
thanks for that help Daedalus, I keep coming back to this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_560W.html

I like the ntm motors, always seem reliable, and this one appears to tick all the boxes for 4 cells, and option to fly on 3 cells

1.48g thrust, now I don't understand that bit!
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:46 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
this is the motor I use on 4 cells, with 6x4 prop, goes very well, vertical climb is endless on a fresh 2150mah pack with my standard size polaris, it was kit I just had, so was pure luck really,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_696W.html
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:55 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,797 Posts
Our posts crossed. Great minds and all that. That motor looks ideal.

The thrust is just right for high performance. The model will weigh a bit under 1kg and the thrust (static) will be about 1.5 kg. That means accelerating straight up. In fact even 3s will give adequate performance (1 kg thrust).

The motor has more power than you need, but you can always throttle back.

I would use a battery of about 2500-3000 mAh 25-30C.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:58 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdevlin View Post
this is the motor I use on 4 cells, with 6x4 prop, goes very well, vertical climb is endless on a fresh 2150mah pack with my standard size polaris, it was kit I just had, so was pure luck really,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_696W.html

That would work too, though it's limited to the small prop. The other will be more efficient with larger prop turning more slowly.

Make sure your batteries are up to the job. What C rating?
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,709 Posts
Ok D66 I am convinced now that I have a bit too much negative incidence on the horiz. Stab. With cg right at the step or slightly ahead I experienced over sensitivity to pitch control. I landed went to low elevator rate and took off from a long take off run by steady increase in up elevator back stick pressure it broke ground climbing very steadily and for a few moments was looking very promising. I then cut throttle a little and right away noticed a pitch change fluctuation. So I turned away from the pond cut throttle to glide and pitch sensitivity returned with a vengence. Namely i experienced up elevator ballooning attempting to flair for a gliding landing. Im going to reduce horz. Stab neg incedence by half and try one more time before i download new templates and completely rebuild the tail section
I was also seen by a private security who was watching from a car with a yellow light bar on its roof from the commercial building parking lot next door to the park.I picked up my Polaris and discretely and speedily left the scene of the crime. LOL
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by slow and low
Larry.........Parkflyer
United States, IL, Eureka
Joined Dec 2014
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Low and slow l love the fuse lighting and nose mounted landing light on your mini. And the decal markings are very artistic. Are you a Braves or a Chiefs or a Red Skins sports fan? I likewise loved my 1st 75% er which was night lit with leds.

That's Chicago Blackhawks stickers (hockey) Alpea, the top one covers the hatch to the receiver if I need to reprogram the receiver. I love your lighting and I was thinking of adding a couple more led's for the wing tips. I'm not a night flyer but I bet the lights extends sunset flying by a half hour.

Larry
slow and low is offline Find More Posts by slow and low
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,709 Posts
Or if its a true night ops mission i try to depart after 00:00.

Oh and low and slow, only because you said you are relatively new to the wonderful thrill of night flight i have to warn you. Do not try to night fly with only a white light ,especially if its visible from front and rear. At a fairly short distance from you you can loose perspective as to whether its coming towards you or going away from you. I witnessed this happen with a real nice E Flight jet liner that the pilot had modified into a real nice kinda scale KC 135. He was so far out and disoriented he had to crash land and retrieve.
Last edited by alpea 41; Feb 06, 2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:41 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,709 Posts
Larry here is a night flight at probably 90 mph by one of the best natural pilots I have ever seen. His name is Adam the plane is a Nano shark. At times on the fly bys he is inches off the ground.
MVI 0866 (2 min 41 sec)
Old Feb 07, 2016, 02:26 AM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Make sure your batteries are up to the job. What C rating?
that's my problem, they are 30c (overated!!) 2150mah rhino's, and are pretty rubbish. OK in the standard size polaris for 5 mins with throttle management, but in the 120% it may be asking too much. I do have a couple of 3300mah 40c's, I wonder if they will be just too heavy?
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:57 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdevlin View Post
that's my problem, they are 30c (overated!!) 2150mah rhino's, and are pretty rubbish. OK in the standard size polaris for 5 mins with throttle management, but in the 120% it may be asking too much. I do have a couple of 3300mah 40c's, I wonder if they will be just too heavy?

My rule of thumb is not to run batteries at more than 50-60% of their rating. So 2150 30C would be a maximum of about 32A (2.15 X 30 X 0.5). So your Rhinos should be OK if they are anywhere near specs, not too old and never over-discharged.

Regarding weight, the bigger battery would probably add about 100g (say 3oz), or something like 10-15% to the weight. It will make some difference to the handling but the model will still fly fine. Of course it all depends on the empty weight.

Critical if you are contemplating flying with different battery sizes is to have a big enough hatch to shift the battery for balance. A big battery needs to sit well back, partly on the front of the wing. Leave the top of the fuselage off till the model is fully built and the gear installed. Then balance with the heaviest and lightest batteries you might want to use and mark the back and front limits of battery positioning. It will likely be further back than you expect and may require rearranging the ESC and receiver. Only then do you install the top with the hatch(es) in the right location.

You might want to consider using a single long hatch as Scott does on the Polaris EX. (I'll try to find a picture.)

By the way, my favorite Polaris for every day flying is the prop EX.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by EastCoastGuy
Joined Jul 2014
88 Posts
Snow flying

Thank you Steve-
She has seen lots of flights but is still a favorite for winter flying. The paint job is unorthodox, but visibility is great. 45 degrees and no wind- perfect snow flying conditions in eastern MA.
EastCoastGuy is offline Find More Posts by EastCoastGuy
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:04 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
depron has arrived fro the 120%, I just need to complete a hk order, small holdup as I need to decide on a motor combo for my Canadair.

so today I was off work, perfect conditions, time for a fly, with my recently spruced up standard size Polaris. Plugged it all up, tested, everything was fine, until I did a range test. I don't always do this, but from now on will always do it. I was losing signal, depending on orientation. Side on was fine, rear fine, nose on, no signal, and as plane was tipped, there was another signal loss.

It had since new an orange dsm2 single aerial rx, in the same place, so something is amiss. Time for a strip down, and it was only put back together today

Lesson to be learnt, after a lay off, thoroughly test your models prior going to the strip, luckily I had my Canadair with me! Cant beat a float plane when the grass is long and wet!