Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by calguy
Joined Jan 2016
3 Posts
Discussion
Whining noise very little lift

Hey everyone,

First time poster but long time follower here

I've had a Falcon-X heli shince 2012. Just replaced the battery after a long while (since 2012). I love this Heli as it's nimble and also has the ability to turn on/off lights during flight. After battery replacement it flew great, had a couple light crashes indoors nothing too great. Now everytime I try to lift from the floor and go full throttle it lifts and then I hear a whining noise and the heli comes down again...

I've read it could be the main shaft is bent. It doesn't look bent. Both A and B rotors move. There's a little resistance on the A motor.

Any advice on where to start for repair?

I know these IR coaxials are pretty inexpensive nowadays but I'd love to keep this one and fix it.

Best,

Calguy
calguy is offline Find More Posts by calguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2016, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
13,269 Posts
Welcome to the forum

A whining noise and loss of lift could be a pinion slipping on the motor shaft or a main gear slipping on the main shaft. It could also be a motor coming to the end of its life.

The motors should have some resistance, but they should both feel about the same.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 21, 2016, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by calguy
Joined Jan 2016
3 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply!

I did notice that the B motor main gear spun freely (almost no resistance) by hand that is. The pinion gear also spun as I was moving the main grear though...

Any way to tighten them slightly so that there's some resistance like the A motor?

Both A and B propellers work just the high pitched whining noise at times...
Once again thanks for the help ahead of time!
calguy is offline Find More Posts by calguy
Old Jan 22, 2016, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
13,269 Posts
Sorry, personally I've never had a pinion come loose, and I don't have your particular model heli, so I can't be sure what the fix is. Have you checked if there's a little grub screw holding the pinion onto the shaft? If there isn't, it's either glued or is simply a tight push fit. Either way, a very small (to make sure it doesn't get into the motor bearing) drop of permanent Loctite might do the job for you. Or possibly a small drop of cyano onto the top of the pinion so that it wicks down to fix it to the shaft. Don't try to apply it directly -- put a drop on a piece of scrap paper, then dip the tip of a toothpick into the drop, then touch the tip of the toothpick onto the top of the pinion before the cyano sets.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn