New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Rflahert
Joined Dec 2015
17 Posts
Question
Sport cub s, or champ

I have flown quadcopters and helis, but never a plane. I am looking at 2, the sport cub s or the champ. I have heard that the champ is better, but it doesn't have the beginner mode, or SAFE. Please let me know what you think and how these two plane compare to each other. Thanks in advance, Ryan.
Rflahert is offline Find More Posts by Rflahert
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2015, 05:40 AM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,560 Posts
I have both planes the champ is cheap parts easy can fly slow easy to repair.. And most times flys right out the box with no set up you just set above 1/2 throttle and let go and it flys. The sport cub s great plane but needs set up fly,s very well after set up not as easy to fix and parts a little harder to find but you can get them. I repaired my champ from watching video's on you tube theres more than on for each type repair or upgrades. Both flow over grass no wind fly great and unless you hit a house or tree hold up well. Both as you get better can be flow out the rtf controls range as you fly faster and higher if real high . Both can use a full range radio and the champ has high and low modes and on computer radio you can set how all the controls work in each mode.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2015, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Gibson
Joined Jun 2014
249 Posts
I also have both planes, and I agree with papadwght...... the only thing I might add is that like the coaxial beginner helis, the Champ is almost too easy to fly, and to improve your skills as time goes by, you will have to purchase another plane that has ailerons....that's the only thing to me that makes the Cub a slightly better all around trainer... you can learn how to fly with it, then mess around with some basic aerobatics with it if you wish. You really cant go wrong with either plane however, as they are both a lot of fun to fly!
Bill Gibson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Gibson
Old Dec 28, 2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
205 Posts
I just did pretty much what you are doing last week. Got the Sport Cub after talking to a plane flier.
The beginner mode made it easy for me to fly from the start. I now change modes in flight to practice in intermediate and advanced and then switch back when I get in trouble. It has saved me from double digit crashes already.

I am just an OK heli flier and will never be really good at it. If you are a natural flier maybe you won't need the beginner mode. But if you are like me you definitely will.

IMO I would get the Sport Cub S.

Hope this helps.
MX48 is online now Find More Posts by MX48
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Joined Apr 2005
587 Posts
I have not had a chance to fly the champ but have had other 3ch planes. I have more then a few 4 ch planes. I have the Sport Cub s and I wish this plane had been out when I started. I think it's a great plane. It will keep your interest for a long while.

Watch out with the RTF transmitter.
It's real easy to get out of radio range.
I would not go past 150 feet or so other people say 300 feet but after losing a plane to the RTF transmitter I stay close.
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Last edited by Bradley Crandall; Dec 28, 2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: forgot about the radio
Old Dec 28, 2015, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by basslord1124
United States, KY, Ashland
Joined Jul 2013
351 Posts
I have both and they are both great planes that are easy and fun to fly. I'd say go for the Sport Cub as it give you more room to grow since you get all the modes, panic switch, plus having ailerons.
basslord1124 is offline Find More Posts by basslord1124
Old Dec 28, 2015, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by Rflahert
Joined Dec 2015
17 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Also, do you have to worry about both rudder and ailerons in beginner, or does it do the turns by itself? I just don't want to have to worry about much on my first plane.
Rflahert is offline Find More Posts by Rflahert
Old Dec 28, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
205 Posts
These are much easier to fly than a helicopter when you have it in beginner mode. Assuming you have been flying collective pitch helis and not fixed pitch. If you have only flown fixed pitch than it will be harder.
MX48 is online now Find More Posts by MX48
Old Dec 28, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by 7elXray
Jeremiah
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2015
101 Posts
I only have SCS experience so take it for what it's worth

Sport Cub S !!!

Flew great out of the box, very slow and forgiving. And when you feel comfortable in safe just flip the switch to move to the next level.
7elXray is online now Find More Posts by 7elXray
Old Dec 28, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by DrewC
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
963 Posts
I learned on a Champ, picked up a Sport Cub S. I ended up selling the Sport Cub S and have since picked up my second Champ.

Yes, the Sport Cub will grow with you and teach you more things along the way, but I enjoy flying the Champ much more (though conditions need to be pretty much perfect due to no Ailerons or AS3x)
DrewC is online now Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Dec 28, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Skoot
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Oct 2015
98 Posts
With the Sport Cub in beginner mode, the rudder is controlled automatically by the SAFE system.

In the other modes, you control the rudder but very little input is ever needed. You can do normal turns just fine in expert mode without rudder input... They just look better if you add a little rudder.

I learned on the Sport Cub S all by myself and it was super easy. It is very forgiving and easy to fly. I haven't flown the Champ so I can't make a comparison of the two, but I cannot imagine any plane being better for a beginner than the Sport Cub S.

I also could never see a plane without ailerons being fun for very long. If I couldn't do aileron rolls with my Sport Cub S, I probably wouldn't be flying it anymore. Slow circles get real boring after a while.

When I fly mine, I spend about half the time flying inverted and doing all kinds of maneuvers (rolls, loops, immelmans, split s's). That type of flying is very fun, but it requires ailerons which the Champ lacks.

There is plenty that the Sport Cub S can do that the Champ can't, but there is nothing that the Champ can do that the Sport Cub S can't. That's why I chose the Cub when I was making the same decision as you.
Skoot is offline Find More Posts by Skoot
Last edited by Skoot; Dec 28, 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by brokendiff
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Mar 2015
452 Posts
I fully believe the scs to be a superior bird in all aspects. Parts are allover too. It is super easy to learn and grow with, setup was a breeze.
brokendiff is offline Find More Posts by brokendiff
Old Dec 29, 2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rflahert View Post
I have flown quadcopters and helis, but never a plane. I am looking at 2, the sport cub s or the champ. I have heard that the champ is better, but it doesn't have the beginner mode, or SAFE.
No the Sport Cub S is the much better plane. It's the ideal plane to learn flying everything.
Quote:
Please let me know what you think and how these two plane compare to each other. Thanks in advance, Ryan.
The champ is only 3 channel with limited flying capabilities and you need in any case a 4 channel plane i you really want learn to fly.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Dec 29, 2015, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoot View Post

I also could never see a plane without ailerons being fun for very long. If I couldn't do aileron rolls with my Sport Cub S, I probably wouldn't be flying it anymore. Slow circles get real boring after a while.
Sounds like you need some time on a UMX Radian ;-)

Lots of fun can be had without ailerons and a properly setup 3ch bird can be surprisingly agile. But there's something to be said for a simple 3 channel bird and getting all floaty with the power off.
mawz is offline Find More Posts by mawz
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by basslord1124
United States, KY, Ashland
Joined Jul 2013
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz View Post
Sounds like you need some time on a UMX Radian ;-)

Lots of fun can be had without ailerons and a properly setup 3ch bird can be surprisingly agile. But there's something to be said for a simple 3 channel bird and getting all floaty with the power off.
I have pondered myself about eventually getting a sailplane. There's just something cool to me about having a plane at the control of wind power and being able to have long flights at higher altitudes. Just seems like it'd be relaxing.

As far as the aileron argument... While having ailerons is nice, I do think you can still have fun with 3 channels. It doesn't bother me at all just to chill and do circuits with only 3 channels. Plus, it's kind of neat to explore and try to do tricks/stunts with 3 channels. I've managed to get my Champ to fly inverted on a few occasions. Just kind of exciting to see it do things it's not normally intended to do. And really, if an individual wants to expand their Champ to have ailerons they can do so. There is plenty of info online I'm sure, and actually someone here (the name escapes me) converted their Champ to a 4 channel.
basslord1124 is offline Find More Posts by basslord1124