Old May 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Build Log
Pete's Perfect Plans - the Bristol Scout for IPS

Ok children.

Gather round and Uncle Tommy will tell you a story.

Once upon a time long ago (last November), a would be Intrepid Modeler bugged the High, Exalted plan Pooh-bah that the Bristol Scout just had to be next on his infamous list of IPS powered designs. This was during the time period that shall be forever know as "the age of IPS" when all in the kingdom were groveling for yet another IPS design. Well, after many sessions with the Intrepid Modeler whining and groveling at the masters mailbox, the High, Exalted plan Pooh-bah took pity on the poor Intrepid Modeler and did, indeed, produce said plan and told the Intrepid Modeler, in his best Pooh-bah'ly voice, "go forth and build".

At least that's how it sounded in email.

Anyway, the Intrepid Modeler, being desirous of pleasing the High, Exalted plan Pooh-bah, did receive the plans and promised to build forthwith.

Of course, that didn't happen.

The Intrepid Modeler discovered that something was blocking his progress. That something was, of course, life, the universe and everything.

time passes....

more time passes....

still more time...

Finally, the Intrepid Modeler did manage to commence the building of the infamous Bristol Scout. Fearing however, that too much time had passed and that others of known adeptness (Greg springs right to mind), would be starting their build soon, the Intrepid Modeler did once again contact the High, Exalted plan Pooh-bah and beg his permission to post his meager progress. Once again, the High, Exalted plan Pooh-bah took pity on the Intrepid Modeler and told him to go forth and post. His Pooh-bah'iness proclaimed that it might indeed be fun to see what this lowly modeler could produce when tasked against the likes of our Southern brethren who had been blessed with a fine laser cut prototype kit provided by the Laser King and Queen (Charlie and Vicki). Of course, the Intrepid Modelers version would be purely and simply scratch built with only the skill of his hands, his raw courage and his trusty razor knife.

And so children, our saga begins...

Of course, we'll drop the ridiculous prose as we progress but I figured that at least this way, I might stand a better chance of getting your attention.

Now, a couple of caveats...
  • I'm not fast. Fat yes, fast no. Since my workspace is, of necessity, portable (no, not you Charlie), it takes a bit of effort to get it out and then put it back up. And, unfortunately, it must be put away daily. Domestic bliss and all that. Generally, this means that weekends are my only time to build. This does not please me but it's what I've got to work with.
  • Due to item number 1, picture lighting is, shall we say, less than adequate. I'll do the best I can and I'll keep trying to find some adequate lamps for better lighting. Of course, better lighting would mean larger f-stops, better depth of field, etc. etc.

Anyway, given those shortcomings, we'll begin...

The Intrepid Modeler goes forth!

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 05:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,936 Posts
Tom,

Now that was worth the wait

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Worth the wait...

Thanks Charlie,

I was afraid that I might have gone just a wee bit overboard. Glad to know that you enjoyed it.

Anyway, when you order these neat little plans from Pete, they come to you via email in a clever, little, electronic thingy called a PDF document. Surprisingly, when you double click on them, Pete's plans fill your screen. Ahh... the miracles of modern technology.

The next obvious step is to take that little electronic PDF thingy to your favorite copy shop. Kinko's in my case. Once I handed them some little green pieces of paper (far too many), they agreed to take the electronic PDF thingy that is Pete's plans and make it jump out on paper. I left Kinko's a happier but poorer Intrepid Modeler with several pieces of paper (not green) that, with any luck, I could turn into an actual, real, live airplane.

Tom
Old May 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Parts is parts...

Pete has kindly provided cut part layouts on these plans so that Intrepid Modelers don't have to try to play the Great Carnac (for all you Johnny Carson fans) and devine what the parts look like. Don't laugh. Some of the plans I've seen over the ages expect you to take a balsa log and whittle out something that looks like an airplane.

Anyway, back to the part layouts. These are conveniently and logically laid out by the size of wood they need. Additionally, they're arranged to take advantage of standard 3" or 4" wood.

So, take your wife's favorite scissors to hand and quickly dissect the plans. Quick, before she catches you!

Aw, durn... too late!
Old May 28, 2007, 06:29 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,936 Posts
Tom,

It might be a bit more for that one big print, but, it is much easier than tile printing same. I've done it twice and will never do so again. I do have an advantage though. When I send the file to my favorite printer, it is usually with other orders that total up to a lot of square feet, so the price goes down (a lot).

For those who haven't tried it, you can sometimes find a local print shop that is easier than Kinko's. They usually even take the file by email, print it and call you when done. The most expensive I have run into is $1.50 per sq ft. Some will get close to $1 per sqft.

charlie
Old May 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
To tile print or not to tile print... that is the question!

Charlie,

I couldn't agree with you more. I've tried tile printing once or twice. Between the scissors, rubber cement, tape, rulers and everything needed to re-assemble the drawings, I quickly decided that I'd rather spend a few bucks than deal with that hassle again. Of course, getting all the tiles in the correct order is useful also.
I know Kinko's is expensive, but, what the heck. It's only money that I don't have. Of course, since it's the only game in town that I've been able to find, I guess they'll have to do.

Tom
Old May 28, 2007, 07:31 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
I've got a local drafting/plotter sales shop where they'll print for a song. I think I paid about $5 for Pete's Strutter and N11. I got the the tip from a local quickie printing place that couldn't handle the size. Might be worth a few calls for anyone looking for a more reasonable solution.
bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old May 28, 2007, 07:57 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
I usually print off a large copy at A0 size at the local print shop (at $9.00 a pop), then use my own small laser to print off sections for actually building on. I usually have to tile the fuselage & wing sections, but it's easy enough to join the 2 sheets of A4 which are usually required. I agree - tiling a complete plan is a pain in the squidgy bits!.

The big plan gets taped to the workshop wall so I have an overall view of what I'm trying to achieve.

Tom - I figure it'll be at least a month before I get to the Scout, even given the timesaving that the Camel kit provides. You never know, we may finish 'em around the same time. What colour scheme are you doing yours in? I fancy the RNAS version, myself.

Greg
Woodbutcher is offline Find More Posts by Woodbutcher
Old May 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Hi Tom

Keep up the prose mate - nothing like a bit of culture for us poor deluded things called modellers

I'm lucky in regards the plans, I'm a draftsman by trade and have access to plotters at work. When one died it was deemed too old to bother repairing and replaced. I had words with our repairman and 'did a deal'. I now have an A1 plotter at home

Once I'm over this cold I can get on with my PR plane (complete with gift from lazer King and Queen !) )

All the best on your build

Pete H
Pete H is offline Find More Posts by Pete H
Old May 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,793 Posts
Tom,
I love it mate, certainly had me chuckling to myself. However, I'm sure I'd never have been so unkind as to say it would be fun to see how you stacked up against Greg. May well have thought it, but would never have said it.
Glad to have you aboard and look forward to following your progress.

On the plan printing thing, I find the most expensive part being getting the disc read. That alone costs more than the actual printing. My local copy shop can accept PDFs by e-mail and have the plan waiting for me when I call in for it. Cost for that is the same as getting an A1 sheet photocopied, with no charge for opening the e-mail. Like that, a 33x22 plan costs about 3. Cost of opening a disc is about 10, making it a darned expensive plan.

BTW, the lighting looks fine to me. Get a better idea once the build begins and there are bits casting shaddow.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 28, 2007, 08:50 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
Quote:
see how you stacked up against Greg
Omigods! Look at that ... I have ...*gasp*.... notoriety .....

Is there no cure?
Woodbutcher is offline Find More Posts by Woodbutcher
Old May 28, 2007, 09:16 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,936 Posts
Yes, build a hack job! Or, should I actually say it, build a FOAM ARF!

charlie
Old May 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
Great start! Looking forward to the build.

BTW, I took a PDF of Pete's IPS SE5A to my local OfficeMax print shop (they were open on Sunday) and was quoted over $50.00 for a print. They could actually print it for less on poster board than paper. BTW, I tile printed those plans!
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old May 29, 2007, 03:02 AM
CA, meet fingers...
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
47 Posts
Tom,

Welcome to the league of "domestically challanged modellers"! Long may your prose be long and your workbench portable.....

On the printing side, I am lucky to have an engineering department here at work that were able to print me off one A0 copy of the Moska plan that Pete sent through in CAD DWG format. What I do is take that plan and by means fair and foul photocopy the section I am working on at any one time down to either A4 or A3.

Luckily, Pete has also furnished me a copy of the plan in PDF format that I have printed to A3....this is, in effect, my "working" copy that I gaze at forlornly while at work, planning the next task while trying studiously to avoid the boss's eye....

Ev. :-)
EpochNZ is offline Find More Posts by EpochNZ
Old May 29, 2007, 03:13 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Well I break even on about 2 per A1 sheet posted.

Its about 50p for the drawing, 50p for the posting tube and about 1 for the postage.

In the UK.

For more copies the postage and tube stay the same, or only a little more, respectively.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1