Old Nov 10, 2006, 05:44 PM
Hello Moto
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
605 Posts
Discussion
Uni aerotow...

Hey all,

thinking about doing an aerotow with my uni and a friends HP.

My theory is that all attatch the 2 bits of line to my uni's wingtips and make them run back behind the plane, meeting yay distance behind the prop, so a triangle shape is formed...
As they meet they combine into one piece of line which runs back to the HP, and hooks onto a simply immobile hook under the HP's belly.

Now it follows through jus like a regular bungy launch.

We fly out at like <10degrees to keep the line attatched to the hook, ten when the HP is high enough, it pulls up, the line slides off the hook and it releases...

Comments/ advice anyone...

Cheers
Nick
lockheed martin is offline Find More Posts by lockheed martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2006, 05:52 PM
Hello Moto
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
605 Posts
heres a quick drawing...
Old Nov 10, 2006, 05:54 PM
aka WarpedWingNut
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Dec 2004
297 Posts
I'm curious on how you are going to launch
PlusRC is offline Find More Posts by PlusRC
Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:05 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Hey, another Nick from NZ!

I would think that when your HP climbs under tow, it will tend to pull your tow plane's tip up, making it nose under. "Normal" RC tow planes have tow point around the cg, maybe fix lines to the LE level with the cg?

Nick from Fairlie, Sth Canty - home of the shield! (Sometimes it goes on holiday to other areas, but it always comes home!)
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Nov 10, 2006, 06:06 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
We had a bunch of fun with a Unicorn tow plane and did a short thread with a little video ( an attempt that worked, but not a very stellar run) We Just launched the Unicorn with a normal toss, layed the string out with a lot of slack, and the glider pilot would toss the glider when the slack ran out. Try it, you'll like it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178336
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:25 AM
KILLER OF GIANTS !!!
Kona
Joined Nov 2003
1,139 Posts
The tow line setup you're referring to is called a bridle system when towing a disabled boat. You will have much greater success if: 1)you run a single line from wing tip to wing tip to form your triangle(bridle) trailing behind your uni. 2) where your single towline from the HP meets the bridle, you tie a bowline around bridle line, making a non slipping loop.
This will allow the line to slide side to side on the bridle and prevent it from jerking abruptly on your wingtips of the uni when making a turn.
I've never tried it on an airplane but that is how it's done merchant marine style. hope this helps . good luck and let us know.
Lono
Flyin Hawaiian is offline Find More Posts by Flyin Hawaiian
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:59 AM
Hello Moto
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpedWingNut
I'm curious on how you are going to launch
yer, just chuck it at this stage, think ill go for what an earlier post mentioned.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:00 AM
Hello Moto
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycruiser
Hey, another Nick from NZ!

I would think that when your HP climbs under tow, it will tend to pull your tow plane's tip up, making it nose under. "Normal" RC tow planes have tow point around the cg, maybe fix lines to the LE level with the cg?

Nick from Fairlie, Sth Canty - home of the shield! (Sometimes it goes on holiday to other areas, but it always comes home!)
Lol hey man, wassup!

Thanks for that advice its very interesting, evaded my mind that i could cause the uni to stall. Ill try placement options as you suggested, in line with the cog.
cheers
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:05 AM
Hello Moto
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian
The tow line setup you're referring to is called a bridle system when towing a disabled boat. You will have much greater success if: 1)you run a single line from wing tip to wing tip to form your triangle(bridle) trailing behind your uni. 2) where your single towline from the HP meets the bridle, you tie a bowline around bridle line, making a non slipping loop.
This will allow the line to slide side to side on the bridle and prevent it from jerking abruptly on your wingtips of the uni when making a turn.
I've never tried it on an airplane but that is how it's done merchant marine style. hope this helps . good luck and let us know.
Lono
interesting. makes sense on boats i guess in air it will have the same effect.
ill add this into the construction. cheers.

my biggist problem is that where doing it with wings, there annoying as they will probaly be at a much higher risk of stall than a conventional tow. +, im going to have to brushless my uni first, AND my m8 has to repair the HP forst lol, so this is still just a thought, but it seems to be possible according to charger (thnx for link) so never say die ay.

will update soon...