HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2013, 01:07 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
450 Posts
Not the same stuff for sure. Did you end up transferring some of it into a syringe? or manually with a toothpick? How did you end up working with it?
tchalfant is online now Find More Posts by tchalfant
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2013, 11:48 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalfant View Post
Not the same stuff for sure. Did you end up transferring some of it into a syringe? or manually with a toothpick? How did you end up working with it?

i used a tiny sculpting putty knife to load up a syringe, and applied a tiny 1/16" bead around the opening on the sub, and then pressed the acrylic porthole onto the bead, squishing it until the bead was as it appears in the third photo of the 6th post. the stuff is really gooey, and loading the syringe was a mess. getting a nice even bead was also challenging.
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jun 06, 2013, 11:59 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
it would have been impossible to apply the sikaflex with a toothpick, the stuff is extremely "sticky" when fresh from the tube. while loading the syringe, long strings of the stuff would stick to the putty knife, like melted parmesan cheese. same thing would happen if you accidentally touched the bead with something like an x-acto knife while trying to smooth out the bead. there are many places on the acrylic porthole window where one can see tiny 1/4" long strings running across the porthole that are visible when looking through the window. don't really know how they happened, but they really don't look good up close.

i will see if i can get a macro shot of one of the windows to show you what i mean.
Old Jun 06, 2013, 12:03 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
Norbert's instructions list a second adhesive/sealant that is supposed to be even better than the sikaflex, called "Terostat ms 939" a google search found the manufacturer of it, and spec sheets for it, but 18 months ago, when i was building the sub, i wasn't able to find anyone that actually appeared to sell it. of course now, i can find one british website, that sells it for about $17 for a caulking gun sized tube of it (plus shipping of course). I can find sikaflex in the states now, for about $10 a tube (plus shipping), making it cheaper, but who knows how the two compare for actually glueing the portholes to the sub.
Last edited by tsenecal; Jun 06, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 02:16 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
i will see if i can get a macro shot of one of the windows to show you what i mean.
this is the closest i have in existing photos. the red circles show a blurry version of what i am talking about. If you look closely there are "strings" of black sealant hanging out into the window, and it looks kinda crappy up close. you can also see from the window that is basically parallel to the plane of the camera lens that the black seal area is not uniform, some areas are thicker than others.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
ran the delta today at the Colorado Crew regatta, strapped a gopro to the front and ran it around for 15 minutes, shot a lot of murky water... for some reason i got no photos of it in the water, i will try again tomorrow.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
450 Posts
A friend we have in common, who will remain anonymous....tom spettle, that sent me photos of some of the tents and set up. wish I was there. Congratulations on a successful run!
tchalfant is online now Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:55 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
hmm, i have photos of the models on the tables as well, and a few photos of the skipjack in the water, it just happened that for the fifteen minutes that the delta was running around, i neglected to get any photos of it.