SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2009
31 Posts
Discussion
Converting Midwest Aerostar 40 to electric.

Hello guys, I have a Midwest Aerostar 40 trainer that had a nitro engine in it, now I have the engine out and ready to convert it over to an electric plane. I was curious if you guys could help me in what brushless motor, speed control and lipo battery would be a good setup to have for this plane? I'm not wanting to set any speed records, but would like something with some good kick to it.

I was also wondering if they made a motor mount that i could buy that would work ok?

Any help would be appreciated, as I would just like to get the right setup going and get to flying this thing. Thanks
WEAVER99 is offline Find More Posts by WEAVER99
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Hi Weaver,

I converted a Midwest .40 Aerostar built in the early 90's a few years ago with this setup:

E-flite Power 32 (or any other .32 770kv ish motor)
60A ESC with at least a 3A UBEC
12X6E APC prop
4S 4000-5000mah LiPo

I would get this motor (cheapest one) - http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2-Sport/Detail

I built my own motor mount of nylon spacers, blind nuts and bolts. You could also hack off the side panels ahead of the firewall and simply bolt the motor on from there.

I had enough power to go vertical all day but it was still lighter then the glow setup. I towed gliders with it and flew off water and snow before I finally wrecked one final time Have fun!

BTW- keep the rubber bands fresh or this might happen:

RC Plane Crash Wing Separation (0 min 44 sec)

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,587 Posts
Gruesome looking crash!! I have had a wing or two come loose in my time and I always find it interesting that no matter how much up elevator you give it does not seem to help . Worst part I would imagine was the LiPo. Looks fairly bent up.

Good to see that the plane is being rebuilt. I always advise anyone who has a bad crash to pick up all the pieces and they let it sit for a few days. The damage always seems worse right after it happens and after siting for a bit a repair job looks more doable.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Hi Weaver,

I converted a Midwest .40 Aerostar built in the early 90's a few years ago with this setup:

E-flite Power 32 (or any other .32 770kv ish motor)
60A ESC with at least a 3A UBEC
12X6E APC prop
4S 4000-5000mah LiPo

I would get this motor (cheapest one) - http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2-Sport/Detail

I built my own motor mount of nylon spacers, blind nuts and bolts. You could also hack off the side panels ahead of the firewall and simply bolt the motor on from there.

I had enough power to go vertical all day but it was still lighter then the glow setup. I towed gliders with it and flew off water and snow before I finally wrecked one final time Have fun!

BTW- keep the rubber bands fresh or this might happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp39IU--pwk

Ethan
Nice setup. I have an original Tower Trainer (with a Malibu 40 wing) that I converted to electric. I used a cheap 350kv, 1200W Turnigy motor on a 6s with a 12x10 prop (more pitch to make up for low RPM). I will be flying it this summer hopefully... the thing pulls like nobody's business.

Just curious, how many rubber bands were you using when they failed? I usually put about 12 on my trainer... probably would help to have a little more redundancy, it looked like there were only 4 on there.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,347 Posts
WAGliderGuy has pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest. I would only recomend a 13x5 prop just to keep the airspeed on the trainer down to something reasonable.

The guy with the 12x10 on the trainer... YIKES!
You gonna go fast!
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,989 Posts
Chill - I had eight old rubber bands on I was...new back then LOL. After the crash I put 12 on like you.

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:04 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
WAGliderGuy has pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest. I would only recomend a 13x5 prop just to keep the airspeed on the trainer down to something reasonable.

The guy with the 12x10 on the trainer... YIKES!
You gonna go fast!
Hehe, it's not really that bad... I calculated about 75 mph in pitch speed, so it should be under 70 in reality. The prop is going to spin pretty slowly with that 350kv rating.. around 8000 rpm I believe. It's really supposed to spin something like a 14x10 or 16x8 I think, so I'm under propping it significantly.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Jan 01, 2013 at 10:15 AM.