HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2014, 02:22 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
< idea I was typing into another thread, pulled to post into this thread... >

Could make a gyro unit as a pluggable in a linked fashion, that wouldn't complicate units for people that didn't want it, but allow easy plugin fashion of abilities for features for people that wanted them. could be more than just gyro's too. have them as units that take in the serial link, have them apply transformations to the signal, then have it output a new updated serial packet. for a gyro, by default would do nothing, but be able to program it so that pitch axis gyro modifies a given channel input, yaw modifies something else... all gets transformed to new output setup. maybe allow it to make a new channel... so channel 1 is a gyro modified channel 1, channel 2 is now the unmodified channel 1, then continue on with all the usual XPS channel choosy love. But tiny device with single input and single output.

Another unit maybe working off of a sensor value... engine temperature could limit a throttle channel, actual airspeed could mix in some rudder trim. daisy chain a bunch of signal transmogrifiers.

RFU --> gyro-transmogrifier --> sensor-transmogrifier --> X10+

...ooh, maybe transmogrifier can select one of the other channels to turn it on and off... or to select templates like flight modes (instead of a sensor value effecting channel 1, flip a switch to have it mix into channel 2 instead).

edit: they could also adapt one of your many input formats into a different format... linking one product family with a completely different product family. maybe even output a single servo output channel directly like a single channel X10, for an easy enough way to set up a single servo output from a transmogrified input... which, because people can simply Y-lead the input from the RFU to set up its own little situation separate to the main X10 in the vehicle. the full X10+ is cheaper than the small SBus hub, so not out of the question that Futaba guys could use them to turn SBus into single servo output for a remote part of the plane.

aaaand... if it could take a servo PWM as input... then it could also be hooked up as RFU --> X10 --> transmogrifier --> servo

...would allow an absurd amount of setup options if all you wanted was a single servo to be managed and didn't want the performance hit of being upstream to the X10 (although I'm assuming that the latency hit on a pass through would be 1-2 millis at worst).

An example of the airspeed sensor --> rudder trim would be absurdly handy for many people in aerobatics (pattern guys love to spend the $$$). what they typically do at the moment is a throttle-rudder mix, but what they actually want is an airspeed --> rudder mix, throttle is just the only convenient way at the moment to mix airspeed. But if you could mix of actual airspeed, that would be rather epic. Would possibly even transform the proper way to set up those aircraft (downline mix of throttle --> elevator would be another one). People could also then set up fancy engine temperature to mixture setting things (some guys actually want to be able to do exactly this btw)...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Last edited by theKM; Jan 09, 2014 at 02:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2014, 04:04 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,377 Posts
Here's a thought and it ties in with KM s comments above. Airspeed to control surface(s) mix is highly desirable but why do it in the transmitter, that's too slow by the time you get the on board value ie airspeed down linked, read, mix applied and up linked. That mixing should happen on board. You would need a good programming interface/hardware, use the transmitter. So on board and rf mixing becomes available with a single programming interface.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jan 09, 2014, 05:15 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
yup, tighter feedback loop is a tighter feedback loop
Old Jan 09, 2014, 05:58 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
...and if the transmogrifiers could generate signal without input, then that creates the opportunity to make various things that are totally automated without bothering the transmitter at all. "operate this cooling fan relative to the heat of the motor"... "operate this servo that actuates a vent cover relative to the heat of the engine as well as actuate mixture control"... none of it taking up a channel, once set up the pilot wont kill it all by forgetting to flip a switch or not hearing the alert on the Tx that is to tell him to flip a switch.

All on a "plug in what you need" basis, all cross-brand compatible.

the servo stretcher from ServoCity is $20, anything close to that with an infinite amount of ways to apply them... would be pretty compelling. although X10 for $25 is already in the space, it's hard to see transmogrifiers as being harder to produce.

In case anyone is unsure about what a "transmogrifier" is...

...for XPS, the fun part would be what external factors (sensors, gyros, etc) can be introduced as part of the "dials"
Last edited by theKM; Jan 09, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:16 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Wow, and I thought I had a modeling sickness!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:24 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,103 Posts
No, they just want to get you wound up and off in another direction, then the transmitter will be another six months out.

Ron
RonR214 is offline Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:42 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
yes, the totally malicious process of having and offering ideas... clearly intended to be disruptive and harmful.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:17 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,721 Posts
Jim,

I've been using the XPS Tx modues in two Futaba transmitters for many years now without issues. I believe I got the modules upgraded once way back when.

To go with the newer technology you have developed for the RFU, X10+ and Nano-IIs, is there any reason to ever have a newer Tx module as well?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:21 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
There is no "newer" Tx module. We are still selling the same module we produced originally. There is no reason to produce anything new.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:28 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,721 Posts
Nice. It's as good as it gets. Thanks, Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:02 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,995 Posts
Another product idea ...

I'd love to have a board with both PWM and PPM inputs (plus the other single-wire protocols?) and a line of bright LEDs that would "chase" to roughly indicate the PWM pulse rate of a standard servo output.

Why?

I fly quads and helicopters and they don't have control surfaces that you can see move from the distance we should be performing our range tests from. I also fly alone fairly frequently so I can't always enlist the help of someone when I want to do a range check and that means I don't always do them when I should.

A device like I've described could be plugged into an unused PWM channel or the output of an RFU-style receiver and used as a visual indicator during a range test. I suggest using colored LEDs so there's both movement and a color change to watch for.

A product like that is long overdue and I'm shocked that someone isn't already offering such a thing.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:19 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
We just use a spare servo mounted to a board and a 6' tall rod with an orange flag at the end. That's how all of our range tests are conducted when firmware is changed. You only need a single person to determine when there is packet loss - the flag is stuck at a particular position or moves erratically.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:53 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We just use a spare servo mounted to a board and a 6' tall rod with an orange flag at the end. That's how all of our range tests are conducted when firmware is changed. You only need a single person to determine when there is packet loss - the flag is stuck at a particular position or moves erratically.
Jim,

That's way too simple.... don't you know that we modelers like the more complicated stuff so that we can spend some money on the "gadgets" ???
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Jan 25, 2014, 03:13 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Trust me, I tried LEDs, strobe lights, and other ideas... the 6' rod with flag (for a bicycle safety flag) was the perfect solution. You just need a wide enough platform to handle the weight of the flag and rod.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2014, 04:53 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Trust me, I tried LEDs, strobe lights, and other ideas... the 6' rod with flag (for a bicycle safety flag) was the perfect solution. You just need a wide enough platform to handle the weight of the flag and rod.
you forgot to list the use of parachute flares! (for range testing at night)
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret