SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
Got another flight in today on the 777. Sorry no video. Flew great. Fun plane to fly.Lots of positive comments from the guys. Going again tomorrow if the weather holds. Taking the Aloha 737 too. If conditions are right will try to maiden that thing.
Hawaiian
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limodune View Post
Boeing 777-200 Reg G-MML made its first successful B1 flight today after several previous unsuccessful take off attempt's.
Flying into a strong cross wind, on it's third attempted take off today it to took to the air and had a successful flight, the pilot remarked after landing (quote) once it was in the air it was a piece of cake to fly

I believe it could have taken off first attempt if it could have gone straight into the wind and used all the run way, I used about 2/3 from L to R of the run way, wind was coming in 70*-90* to the strip, I am using the 5 blade 70mm edf's and 3200kv motors left over from my a320, it draws 34amps and 510wts in the nacelles with a 3300 30-40c 4s battery, I am now going to add flaps, that should help a lot with take off

Now I have flown it I am happy, after looking at the previous video's I thought it may have been a little tail heavy, also I may have been to aggressive with the elevator and another pilot may have had a successful take off, so I moved the battery forward about 1/4'' or so, pulled back the elevator to 80% also opened up the inlet and exit on the nacelles a bit more to match the over sized edf, I did not get a video of it flying though it was on, I must have moved the camera during the 3-4 times of on and off, just got a video of the sky

Mike
Good to hear of the maiden Mike- I was getting frustrated just watching those painfully long takeoffs. I ordered mine a few days ago and can't wait to get it. I am so tempted just to fly it stock as I want a new daily flyer, but watching everyone's videos, I believe I can get the ground roll down to half with full span (scale) fowler flaps using stock power.

Obviously my two 737s are a touch overpowered and relatively heavy, but the flaps make it leap off the ground. I've got those ground runs to 1/3 stock. (With apologies for putting 737 stuff on the 777 thread)

Compare this takeoff run (with flaps):
MVI 2073 (1 min 36 sec)

To these takeoff runs (no flaps):
windrider 737.wmv (8 min 38 sec)

If I can mod the B777 well with flaps, I'll do another YouTube tutorial.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:06 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,713 Posts
Just 50 feet to take off with flap.

Ming
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:23 AM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
417 Posts
HF
I will be joining you in flight in the morning with the b777 weather permitting, I have put back one of the velcro strips that was missing that hold's my cam recorder to a skateboard helmet so with luck I will get a video of the b777 in take off and flight , good luck with the b737

Mike
limodune is online now Find More Posts by limodune
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
Got a couple more flights today with FedEx. Word of caution. On the last flight when I came in to land my right wing gear came unglued and tore off. Only damage was some runway rash to the bottoms of the engine nacelles. And I checked those things before the maiden flight and they seemed sturdy enough. Going to epoxy them before the next flight.
Hey Doug. Flew one of my 737's today for the first time. Flew good but not a pretty landing. Came in too fast and bent the gear and one of them separated from the wing. Only cosmetic damage to the paint. What was the mod to do to stop the gear from bending?
Hawaiian
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Greetings everyone, have been lurking for a while. I ordered the 777 and it arrived in perfect condition today. Ming it's a great looking, well packaged kit. I have flown Heli's for a few years and a few planes the latest a Matt Chapman 580 and wanted to try a nice airliner.
Doug I will be looking forward to your flap mod, anything close to both your 737's it will improve the aircrafts ability ten fold. Have seen many great builds in this forum looking forward to more.

Ron
Plankdriver6 is offline Find More Posts by Plankdriver6
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Got a couple more flights today with FedEx. Word of caution. On the last flight when I came in to land my right wing gear came unglued and tore off...... And I checked those things before the maiden flight and they seemed sturdy enough. Going to epoxy them before the next flight. Hawaiian
I would strongly recommend NOT using epoxy! It does not bond well to EPO and the thermoplastic used in the gear mounts....one good "shock" to it and you will likely have 3 pieces, where there originally was only two....namely the wing, the gear mount, and a nice epoxy "glue line" piece
I use Gorilla Glue (the newer white, faster dry version). You only need to clamp it for 30min, which can be done with a medium size "C" clamp, as the location of the gear mount is not too far from the trailing edge. Be sure and use piece of ply on the top of the wing to protect surface from clamp! Also clean off the "old" adhesive from the mating surfaces. The GG will not give up! When cured, any excess ooze can be broken/scrapped off.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
THIS WAS UNDER THE CHRISTMAS TREE FOR ME! putting the beaut together right now, I think I'm going to do a "white flight" and then do a custom scheme, maybe retracts? any suggestions for the build greatly appreciated!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:17 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
766 Posts
Musta been a big tree!
Smokin_Joes is online now Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
haha, well It was more like beside the tree, considering it was about the same size lol. I gotta say, this thing goes together easily, putting it together while watching a christmas story
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:59 AM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
Merry Christmas everybody. Or as us Hawaiians say Mele Kalikimaka!
F-86. Plane goes together real nice. Parts are a nice snug fit. If you don't plan on doing any painting it can probably be flight ready in about an hour. Hope every body else gets some cool toys for Xmas. Aloha guys
Hawaiian
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:19 AM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Merry Christmas everybody. Or as us Hawaiians say Mele Kalikimaka!
F-86. Plane goes together real nice. Parts are a nice snug fit. If you don't plan on doing any painting it can probably be flight ready in about an hour. Hope every body else gets some cool toys for Xmas. Aloha guys
Hawaiian
your right, I could barely get the rudder to go all the way in! I finished it up, just did the air france job on it, might do some different livery later. I was really hoping to use this to get me more into the airliner world, I will hopefully be getting the 737 and 787 later on, Ming is also looking at making a 747 with a 2.4m wingspan!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
I already have three 737's and I think there may be a 787 under the tree in the morning. I'm definitely on the list for that 747! Enjoy the 777. Fun plane to fly!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:59 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Got a couple more flights today with FedEx. Word of caution. On the last flight when I came in to land my right wing gear came unglued and tore off. Only damage was some runway rash to the bottoms of the engine nacelles. And I checked those things before the maiden flight and they seemed sturdy enough. Going to epoxy them before the next flight.
Hey Doug. Flew one of my 737's today for the first time. Flew good but not a pretty landing. Came in too fast and bent the gear and one of them separated from the wing. Only cosmetic damage to the paint. What was the mod to do to stop the gear from bending?
Hawaiian
Hawaiian,

Good to hear the 737 is airborne. The gear mod (which I actually have not done) is to redrill the shafts to accept a 4mm wire. Stock is 3mm...

Also on attachment of the plywood plate for the gear, you should use a hot glue gun. It dries in 30 seconds, adds additional shock absorbtion, dries clear, and I am yet to have it come off after all my landings.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
Guess I'll go do that before I fly it again. Just need to try find some 4mm shafts or something like that. Somebody suggested to use drill bits. Might be an option. No wind today but skies are dark & gloomy. May go fly the FedEx 777 later if time permits.
Hawaiian