SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Awesome service right there.

I will now be placing my order through you instead of another supplier due to this very post. That and joe talked me into one of those 50mm with his review
Yep---Placed my first order with them...Will make another order when a particular prop plane comes back into stock......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:19 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
I got the Mig 29 airframe, this thing is so cute!
Its quite heavy too 69g just for the airframe (no fans nothing else).
Arrived from HK with zero damage, perfect condition.
Only dissapointment is that the factory paints only one side of the wings, I beleive this causes the wings to be curved, very curved. I wish they didnt paint the spare parts.
I may have a go at removing the pain in hot water to see if the wings get some of their shape back.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
I got the Mig 29 airframe, this thing is so cute!
Its quite heavy too 69g just for the airframe (no fans nothing else).
Arrived from HK with zero damage, perfect condition.
Only dissapointment is that the factory paints only one side of the wings, I beleive this causes the wings to be curved, very curved. I wish they didnt paint the spare parts.
I may have a go at removing the pain in hot water to see if the wings get some of their shape back.
Shame that it came curved I always use the ladies hair dryer to straighten out any warped foam. It really works wonders. Has worked for both painted and unpainted for me without ruining paint or damaging foam.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,491 Posts
I just did some testing, for those that are curious.....the 35mm fans and motors with the 3 blade impeller draw 14.7 amps for the pair on a 3s 800 mAh 40C lipo. So an average of 7.35 amps per fan, not bad at all.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Just got my A-10, Mwuahahahaha!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
It does, but I don't see it making anywhere near the difference in amp draw that was observed. For example, that same 5 blade rotor using a Jpower motor is under 6A on 2s vs. 20A with the AEO motor. Considering how small the Jpower motor is compared to the AEO, It makes me wonder why such a huge difference with reasonalby similar kV ratings. ie; 9000 kV vs 11000 kV In fact, the Jpower setup on 3s is still less than half the amp draw as the AEO on 2s.
I have one of the ELE RC micro A-10's un-built. I was thinking of trying the J-power motor with the 30mm AEO fan and housing, thinking that it may work well with a lot smaller amp draw. Joe, do you think that will work?
Tom77 is offline Find More Posts by Tom77
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom77 View Post
I have one of the ELE RC micro A-10's un-built. I was thinking of trying the J-power motor with the 30mm AEO fan and housing, thinking that it may work well with a lot smaller amp draw. Joe, do you think that will work?
The AEO fan housing won't accept the Jpower motor, it's a different mounting design. I think a GWS 30mm housing might work, you could still use the 30mm AEO rotor. Use 3s voltage and I'll bet it would work great. The ELE A-10 also has some pretty thick foam in the nacelles, you might even be able to use the 35mm Jpower fans in those nacelles with some sanding. That could work really well. I know my twin AEO fans in that ELE A-10 draw right at 24A which is a but nutty in a micro. It would be so nice to be able to fly that with a lot less amps.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Feb 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
The AEO fan housing won't accept the Jpower motor, it's a different mounting design. I think a GWS 30mm housing might work, you could still use the 30mm AEO rotor. Use 3s voltage and I'll bet it would work great. The ELE A-10 also has some pretty thick foam in the nacelles, you might even be able to use the 35mm Jpower fans in those nacelles with some sanding. That could work really well. I know my twin AEO fans in that ELE A-10 draw right at 24A which is a but nutty in a micro. It would be so nice to be able to fly that with a lot less amps.
Thanks for the info. I'll think about just using the JPower fans in there. I was tempted to get the JPower A10, but I should build what I have before I buy more.

I had a great fllight on the 35mm F15 yesterday on 3S using an 800mah battery! I really like and highly recommend that one. (Had fun with the screamer too)
Tom77 is offline Find More Posts by Tom77
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Whats the best paint for painting these? I want to paint the top or bottom half of my all blue F-18. Doesnt have to be the best, but I need a way to see the difference in the sky.
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Is steam still the prefered method of working out a warp on these? My A-10 has a bit of a warp and a crack on one of the wings, not too bad looking provided it will pull out ok. Any advice before I take the steam too it in a bit?

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Is steam still the prefered method of working out a warp on these? My A-10 has a bit of a warp and a crack on one of the wings, not too bad looking provided it will pull out ok. Any advice before I take the steam too it in a bit?

Mendo
I believe steam is too hot and can alligator the skin the foam. The best trick I've found is to heat water via the coffee pot, it seems to be just hot enough but not too hot. Soak the foam until it softens a little, bend it into shape and hold it there while it cools. It may have to be done a couple times, but it seems to work well. I've also used a hair dryer with good results too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
Whats the best paint for painting these? I want to paint the top or bottom half of my all blue F-18. Doesnt have to be the best, but I need a way to see the difference in the sky.
I use acrylic craft paints from wal-mart or Michaels, once dry I seal it with a little water based polyurethane.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:17 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
You can save a bit if weight by just removing the blue paint on one side. It's pretty easy to do just using a bit of strong tape ($1 store duct tape)

Just put the tape where you want to remove paint and peel it off. I just use one peice of tape over a spot and peel it back and if spots are missed I quickly put the tape back on those missing spots to pull them up, this helps protect the EPO from having the shine removed by tape. (hard to type out, but basically don't keep using new tape over the white EPO as you can remove the shiney slick surface.)

I've done this with a couple of my F-18's

Quote:
I use acrylic craft paints from wal-mart or Michaels, once dry I seal it with a little water based polyurethane.
Yeah I've been meaning to use a polyurethane or polyacrylic on my not so glossy planes (My Dynams) to gloss the paint up and give it a touch of protection.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Ill give the hairdryer a shot, the bend and crack in the wing run right through where one of the aileron servos has been glued in, and I dont want to get it wet, and I dont want to weaken the wing anymore cutting the servo out.....Wish me luck!

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Got the wing straightened out fairly well, gonna give it a go on 2s all stock, its close to 1 to 1 power to weight so it should have a chance....Then its gonna get the 3s treatment to be sure.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:30 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Got the wing straightened out fairly well, gonna give it a go on 2s all stock, its close to 1 to 1 power to weight so it should have a chance....Then its gonna get the 3s treatment to be sure.

Mendo
Take a video maiden if you can ...
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau