HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:07 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Thanks for the info. Many people really like/d Deans, but there seems to be a "rebellion". I wonder what the next "Big" connector will be. I want to be like everyone else, so if I want to borrow a watt meter or somthing, I have the same connectors.
The "rebellion" is that people are going to larger power systems, and the limits of the Dean's connectors are apparent.

You know I forgot to mention the excellent "grip" of the EC3/EC5/XT60 connectors. Anyway, I think these connectors "are" the thing!

I solved the multi-connector to my watt meter problem by using terminal blocks on the watt meter and other devices. Very handy. The terminal blocks are 30A, 600V, 5/16" spaced, for #8 screw. The terminals are for #8 posts. You can see the EC5, EC3, and Deans charge leads I made. I have these in both male and female varieties, and this lets me hook up any combination of connectors that I might need. If a new connector comes out in the future, wa-la, I have a way of connecting things!

Nick
nioa is online now Find More Posts by nioa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:48 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Yes, I have a setup like that except it has a round universal connector. Great idea!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
I got this plane for Christmas!!!!!! Boy, those main decals were a PITA to put on, but look great. The stupid Nose gear grub screw keeps coming loose/isn't holding. Did you guys come up with a mod for that? I also noticed the nose gear wire didn't fit very nicely into the wheel pant where the slot was cut out, and the nose gear fairing was a bit tricky to assemble and install. This is my first ARF, and I feel I did pretty good! When they said to cut away the covering on the hinges, I cut it way to much, and I can see wood in the hinges no mattter what angle you look at it. Some white paint will fix that up. I got the SS 35A ESC and the Rimfire .10 spinning an APC 10x7E prop. I just ordered some Futaba S3114 servos from Tower. I am going to trade in my DX6i and get a Futaba 7C and a R617FS reciever. I will be using a Turnigy 2200mah 3S 20C LiPo. I have been using the HK XT60 connectors, but want to be standard, so I got some Dean's connectors from Tower also. This plane rocks. What do you think of this setup?
Thanks!
Alex

I think you need a bigger battery (more mAh or higher C). A 2200, 20C is on the small size for that motor / prop. I'm using the same power setup but I use a 2650 mAh 3s, 20C and they even get a little warm at times. On the loosening grub screw I went with a hex head bolt and a little blue locktite and now it stays put. I highly suggest you make a stop for the steering so it can't turn too far and lock up sideways. Mine did that a couple times and when it locks up it can cause the plane to flip over cracking the canopy.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Alright thanks! 20C 2200 is 44A cont. discharge, and this thing only pulls 30A WOT. Shouldn't it be enough?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Check out this video:
SR22 Turbo Modifications - RC airplane (12 min 55 sec)

This isn't my video, (Although I wish) Just pulled it from Youtube.
Last edited by Alex Schauer; Dec 30, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:56 PM
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Alright thanks! 20C 2200 is 44A cont. discharge, and this thing only pulls 30A WOT. Shouldn't it be enough?
thrust us---YOU ARE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BATTERY
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Alright.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:08 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:

My 2650's are good for 53 amps and they even get warm if I push them too much, a 2200, 20c will get hot, puff up and be short lived. I'm thinking of going to 3000's so they will run cooler plus give me a little more flight time.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
I've got a 3300 on the way.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
I've got a 3300 on the way.

That'll work great.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Well actually a 3000. Not that big of a difference. Its 20C.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
It's good for 60 amps (with 3000 mAh) so that will work just fine.
Last edited by raz; Jan 02, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
OK good. Thanks!
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
I was trying to make flaperons, but the ailerons were reversed. So when I reversed it one went up and the other went up also. What do I do? Move the one that is currently in Aux1 into Ail channel? I just put on a Y harness for now, but I think I'm going to try that switch. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Alex
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
I was trying to make flaperons, but the ailerons were reversed. So when I reversed it one went up and the other went up also. What do I do? Move the one that is currently in Aux1 into Ail channel? I just put on a Y harness for now, but I think I'm going to try that switch. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Alex

Right now with both going 'up' you have spoilerons. To make flapperons reverse the #6 servo setting in the transmitter from normal to reverse (or visa versa).