HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,053 Posts
Guys....for those of you who don't mind swinging an APC 20X10 prop (or an APC 20X11), and want a killer motor for the 70-71" planes (and possibly the 72" Extra), try the Hacker A60-6XS. Tons of power, and great battery efficiency!!
I have and A60-6XS in my 70" Slick, and an A50-16S in my new Velox, and am using the same batteries in both planes. The A60 gives me 6.5 minutes and when recharged, only puts about 2200-2500mAH back into my 6S 5000mAH 65C Thunder Power packs. After maidening my Velox yesterday, (and as noted using the same packs), I recharged them when I got home and on 6 minute flights, they took 3340, and 3370mAH on the two packs.
Granted, I probably don't push my planes as hard as some of you might, but, my Slick pulls from hover with no problems at all!!
The motor is a bit more expensive, and you have to re-drill new motor mount holes if replacing a Hacker A50 series, but again, I think you will like it.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
For my electric setup, I was planning on using a spare ar600 I have laying around. I understand the logic behind the sat receiver but I using about 4x ar600 in other planes without any issues. What do you guys think? Should I spring for the ar6210 or higher?
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:29 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
For my electric setup, I was planning on using a spare ar600 I have laying around. I understand the logic behind the sat receiver but I using about 4x ar600 in other planes without any issues. What do you guys think? Should I spring for the ar6210 or higher?
Taken from the Horizon site....
Quote:
The AR600 is the affordable way to equip your sport plane or trainer with the speed, and reliability of DSMX control.
To me....sport plane and especially trainer means something in-expensive that won't set you back a bunch of bucks if you crash it..... And with that carbon content that is in the Slick, I think it is best to have at least one, if not two satellite receivers in it.....but that is just my opinion, and I am really finicky about receiver placement etc... but then I usually buy (since I have a 9 channel radio [an X9503], the R921 or R921X (the R921 was the predecessor of the R921X) receivers, as I also use Castle BEC Pro BEC's and like having the dual power ports (though of course you can actually plug the second power lead into any spare port on the other receivers.)

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jul 16, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Steve, thanks for your reply...didnt think about the carbon in the fuse. If I did get a higher end spektrum are we talking ar7010?
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:42 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Steve, thanks for your reply...didnt think about the carbon in the fuse. If I did get a higher end spektrum are we talking ar7010?
That should work, but then so should the AR6210, as they are essentially the same receiver, but the seven channel has one more channel) but again, they only have one satellite receiver. I would get one of the 9" or 12" satellite receiver leads though, so you can spread them out a bit..

I use the AR7000s (the predecessor to the AR7010) in my 57-59" planes

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:17 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
That should work, but then so should the AR6210, as they are essentially the same receiver, but the seven channel has one more channel) but again, they only have one satellite receiver. I would get one of the 9" or 12" satellite receiver leads though, so you can spread them out a bit..

I use the AR7000s (the predecessor to the AR7010) in my 57-59" planes

SteveT
Cant speak for the 6210 but the 6200 was the only spektrum RX that ever gave me trouble....sold all of those and went to the AR7000 and never had another issue. Ild use a 7000 or higher...heck I just saw a guy selling some used ones for $60 each in the classifieds.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,084 Posts
Same here - I also had problems with several 6200's but not with other models.
Now I'm using DSMX from both Spektrum and JR for all new applications.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
Cant speak for the 6210 but the 6200 was the only spektrum RX that ever gave me trouble....sold all of those and went to the AR7000 and never had another issue. Ild use a 7000 or higher...heck I just saw a guy selling some used ones for $60 each in the classifieds.
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:37 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I too had problems with the 6200s but not with the newer 6210s. They seem to work just fine. I'm using them in X mode too.

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
529 Posts
It's Officialo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
It is officially an airplane. I am going to love this plane. I did not get a finished weight with the Gens Ace 5300's but it does not fly heavy in any way, in fact it floats a lot on landing. I flew 8 minutes and had 40%capacity left. Ton's of power with the Motrolfly 4325-310 combo.

Slow speed flight is like my foamy but way more stable. I thought I had the CG on the LE of the wing tube but it felt more aft to me and it actually was slightly aft of the LE. I am new to 3D but found this pretty easy to hover. It snaps nice and I like to do tumbles and it did not disappoint. Power off high speed tumble completed an easy 3 tumble rotation and recovery was very easy.

Thanks to all who helped me get going with this. Special thanks to Losi and rcbirk who both answered many PM's, and Josh "BoneDoc" who spent a lot of time talking with me at the Grapevine fly-in.

Woo Hoo!
Nice job this morning Ray; glad I was there for the maiden flight. The orange/white is a great color scheme and the 71 Slick look majestic in the air.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:16 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
Nice job this morning Ray; glad I was there for the maiden flight. The orange/white is a great color scheme and the 71 Slick look majestic in the air.
Your turn next week
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:48 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Tim's Dead 71" Slick

Wing came off in the air. The wing bolts came down intact to the wing so they pulled out from the fuse side. wing tube broke although not sure if this was from ground impact or in the air.

I was changing from 8S to 6S and had string around the wing tube to verify balance. took off the string, ran up 1750 watts with A50-12L. Straight and level flight, checking CG, wing came off, went in. I think I forgot to tighten up the wing bolts.

Bummer.

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:51 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,053 Posts
Damn Tim, sorry to see that. Going to get another one??

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
OUCH that looks like it hurt. Sorry to see that Tim. Getting another?
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Sorry Tim that sucks for sure.always rather Lose em to the battle than to the brain or equipment. Hope you get back on horse soon
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:21 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
yeah, hate to lose it to stupidity, but likely I'm not the first one.

I really like this size of plane and I want another. I still have the 51 slick and 41edge. A50-12L, castle 120hv, 798gmg, and I've run it on both 8S and 6S.

Sort of thinking velox but not sure the same motor and servos will move over easily. comments?

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers