Old Apr 14, 2015, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by DAVETHEDOG
QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jul 2009
108 Posts
Discussion
Which covering to use

Hello,
I have never recovered a plane before and I would like some advice as to which covering I should use.
The plane is a large scale warbird and I will need to paint over it to get the correct markings, I am also concerned about some films which seem to bubble in the sun and as I live in Australia this is a big worry, are there any films which cope better to sunlight and bubbling and which film is better suited to painting??
Any helpful advice would be welcome
DAVETHEDOG is offline Find More Posts by DAVETHEDOG
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2015, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
1,112 Posts
I switched to SolarTex many years ago. Doesn`t bubble and easily painted.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,347 Posts
But Solartex will still loosen in the sun.

I have not seen any film or covering material that will not loosen in the desert heat and direct sun. The only solution is to keep them out of direct sunlight. FWIW, I have seen fiberglass soften in the heat and sun we get out here, usually when it is cured at room temps.

I have had some luck by shrinking several times. Solarfilm and Solartex will take a few cycles of shrinking to get them more resistant to heat.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by mhodgson
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
566 Posts
Solarfilm polyester supershrink (NOT the normal solarfilm) has a good reputation for not bubbling or slacking off in heat- the well known UK designer/builder 'Peter Miller' swears by it.
'Doculam' might be good. I seem to recall someone posting that it didn't slacken n sunlight.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by mrittinger
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,684 Posts
The Spit MK1 I did for Model Airplane News is going on 10 years old, and the painted doculam film doesn't have a single bubble. Painted with Tamiya rattlecan before I bought an airbrush.
The trick is just finding the right iron temp. Once it's on , it isn't coming off....its light and cheap too.

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:28 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,347 Posts
I like doculam too, especially when I am going to paint a plane. It will still loosen a bit in extreme heat and sun.

FWIW, I have also had coverings loosen when experiencing large changes in humidity. Like when I go to Little Rock. The balsa swells. Elevator and rudder trim changes by several clicks. Once I get back to the extremely low humidity a lot of my coverings are loose (and I retrim again).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,648 Posts
If it's a 'solid' balsa model, (not open frame), then tissue and dope works well, takes many paints and wont blister, (unless on fire )

Alternatives to tissue -
Nylon
Silk
Newspaper *
Plus many others

Alternatives to dope -
WPBU (Water based PolyUrethane)
Epoxy
Thinned white glue
Plus many more.

* Newspaper at least gives you something to read
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by DAVETHEDOG
QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jul 2009
108 Posts
Thank you for all the replies .
I will be attempting it very soon and I will post which film I choose .
Thx
DAVETHEDOG is offline Find More Posts by DAVETHEDOG
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by aeronca52
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
The Spit MK1 I did for Model Airplane News is going on 10 years old, and the painted doculam film doesn't have a single bubble. Painted with Tamiya rattlecan before I bought an airbrush.
The trick is just finding the right iron temp. Once it's on , it isn't coming off....its light and cheap too.

Mark
Mark,
is that Spitfire painted on the outside or inside side of the film?

Jim
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by David2011
United States, NM, Hobbs
Joined Oct 2011
219 Posts
Solartex, properly shrunk and then base coated with tautening nitrate dope will remain tight and is the easiest working iron-on covering available. The first coat should be thinned slightly and brushed on. Brushing will ensure good penetration into the fibers and it will dry very smooth if not applied too heavily. Subsequent coats may be brushed or preferably sprayed. How you finish it may be affected by your power choice. Dope can be pretty light if sprayed on carefully. If glow powered, a model airplane fuel proof dope should be used as the final clear coat. General aviation dopes like Randolph are great for gasoline power but will soften if exposed to glow fuel, thus the need for a fuel proof top coat. I've top coated Randolph with Sig without issue. If gasoline or electric, the finish options are almost unlimited. Good luck!

David
David2011 is offline Find More Posts by David2011
Old Apr 18, 2015, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Pat Daily
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,528 Posts
Never had silk or japanese tissue (both treated with dope) loosen in the sun, Charlie.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:39 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,347 Posts
Dope and fabric would be a good choice if he wanted to go that route. But, they aren't iron on.

For a large scale he could get polyester fabric from a sewing shop. Same type as full scale.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by builderdude
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
3,448 Posts
I like to do about one airplane in silkspan tissue and dope per year...just for sentimental reasons. For smaller and lighter planes, that is still a good option. But although it doesn't loosen up in the sun or in a hot car as bad as some of the plastic films do (or at all), it has other disadvantages. Like rips and tears. I wish it was a little bit stronger.

That's where I really like the synthetic tissues as a covering. Plus, synthetic tissues take Model Masters and Testors plastic model paints very well.

Silk is something I have not tried yet and I do want to get into.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude