New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
Discussion
Flying Electrics in TD contests

Our club the Pikes Peak Soaring Society recently approved a plan to allow electric powered sailplanes to compete alongside their winch-launched cousins and fly to the same tasks. Since we don't have very many members flying full house electrics there is little or no possibility of flying ALES/F5J in our area just yet. Since I'm no longer winch proficient I believe this to be a positive event.

Basically the rule is that we would set the altitude limiter to 150 meters which is what we perceive is the typical altitude attained by a winch launched glider. Then whatever the task is in any given round we go ahead and fly. While I haven't as yet got my eSupra going enough to know, I suspect the issue might be when does the timer punch the stopwatch to start the flight. Is there a noticable dip when the motor stops so the timer knows? Right now I plan to paint my folding prop with Pactra Florescent Orange to facilitate the timer's task. Any comments on this idea? Are there any other clubs doing this and if so what should we watch for?

BTW, I was just informed by our Taranis guru that there is now a program for a telemetry/altimeter equipped sailplane to shut down the motor and to signal the transmitter when this happens. Since the Taranis has voice this event can certainly signal the timer so that he can start the watch. Don't know much more about the program or how well it fits the above but I'll certainly check into it further
Randy Reynolds is online now Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by jtlsf5
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,634 Posts
We have flown electric launch TD side by side with winch launch in our large yearly contest for a couple years now. They are scored as a separate class so starting the watch at release doesn't cause a problem, it just means the free soaring portion of a flight is 30 seconds shorter.

That said, if you are flying a single class, just start the watch 30 seconds after release, regardless of when the motor actually stops (assuming a limiter is being used). This removes the subjective element as to when to start timing. Alternately, start the watch at release and have the electrics fly to target + 30 seconds, then subtract 30 seconds from the final flight time when calculating the round score.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
Thanks JT, Have you tried to start the watch upon prop fold or when the glider signals through flight behavior that the motor stopped? Alternately I wonder if the pilot could tell the timer when the motor is off.

Initially our club has determined that the launch height will be 150 meters. I suspect that a competitive electric could reach that altitude in well under 30 seconds. We might want to use your method however as long as there is still a competitive chance to make time.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by ChicksGotWings
Live to fly, fly to live
United States, WA, Spangle
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
Our club also flies ALES alongside TD ships. Even if we only have 2-3 ALES planes, they fly their own class. We start the timer when the plane leaves the hand. We fly to 150 meters at our events, and depending on conditions, I reach 150 around 15 seconds, however if I want to, I can go the full 30 before a motor shutoff because I go farther out, closer to the ground, before heading up to the 150 meter height.
ChicksGotWings is offline Find More Posts by ChicksGotWings
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,020 Posts
We fly ALES as part of the SC2 contest series in SOCAL. Getting increasingly popular and works just fine.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
I understand that ALES is popular and works well however we don't have enough members to make a quorum thus we need to fly electric along side winched gliders to the same formats.