SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by speedfreak1
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
I have only experienced bad air one time so far, and I was on my 24th practice flight or so with a really good flying Candace on a calm day. I was just sick about that one. It just fell out! Housekeeping, Clean up! Isle 3! I thought the radio quit and Dub said you can fly through your own bad air when it's really calm. Crazy! I guess that shows how fast these things go! .... It sounds like Travis has been a big influence to keep these F1's alive at the NATS!
speedfreak1 is online now Find More Posts by speedfreak1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
Well, I got a bunch of work done on the Kazi, but ran out of daylight to test this weekend. The picture of my Candace resting in pieces is kinda depressing, so on a happier note I posted this one of two sister ships that are back together and ready to go!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by WestCoastD
Joined Apr 2014
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak1 View Post
I have only experienced bad air one time so far, and I was on my 24th practice flight or so with a really good flying Candace on a calm day. I was just sick about that one. It just fell out! Housekeeping, Clean up! Isle 3! I thought the radio quit and Dub said you can fly through your own bad air when it's really calm. Crazy! I guess that shows how fast these things go! .... It sounds like Travis has been a big influence to keep these F1's alive at the NATS!
whoa, that's scary. But I guess these things happen. So what happens with the engine after such a crash? Damaged crankshaft?
WestCoastD is online now Find More Posts by WestCoastD
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
If they don't hit the pavement it's not usually too bad. This one we put a new front bearing and a new Venturi. Cleaned/inspected and I had it was in another plane by the next weekend! Dub makes a really strong muffler and header flange, so it didn't hurt that a bit. It's amazing how these motors can go from 200 to 0 and survive. I have had few close calls,(one off of the top of a tree lol) but I have been fortunate not to bury an F1. Any time you put anything in the air you never know.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:53 AM
DHG
Find More Posts by DHG
DHG
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Jul 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
I actually was originally gonna go with a vintage Super Tigre X-15FI (purchased off eBay), which I love. But I think I'm gonna experiment with a new Nova Rossi RF X15TC engine. I prefer using something current (available parts, etc.,...)
Yes, I agree. I don't have any experience with the NovaRossi myself, but I've not heard anything bad about them and they look like a first-rate product. Some folks are putting Jett .35s and such in the old QMs, but even with this ST .21 I found balance was an issue. To make it fly like it should, with a reasonable wing loading, I'd recommend a modern, juiced-up .15 rather than a larger/heavier engine. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Cheers,
Duane
DHG is offline Find More Posts by DHG
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:59 AM
DHG
Find More Posts by DHG
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Well, I got a bunch of work done on the Kazi, but ran out of daylight to test this weekend. The picture of my Candace resting in pieces is kinda depressing, so on a happier note I posted this one of two sister ships that are back together and ready to go!
Yeah, it takes a while to get used to the idea that the airplane is just an appliance, & they can break but you have to keep going. The Kazi & Shark are both gorgeous! And that Jett BSE just looks wicked!!!!!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
Thanks Duane! I can't wait to see how that new motor runs! You are right about sometimes these things break. If you want to go racing, it's just part of the deal. Just gotta dig in and get back on the horse!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by WestCoastD
Joined Apr 2014
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG View Post
Yes, I agree. I don't have any experience with the NovaRossi myself, but I've not heard anything bad about them and they look like a first-rate product. Some folks are putting Jett .35s and such in the old QMs, but even with this ST .21 I found balance was an issue. To make it fly like it should, with a reasonable wing loading, I'd recommend a modern, juiced-up .15 rather than a larger/heavier engine. Just my 2 cents' worth
thanks for your input. Yeah, I'm a NovaRossi user (marine engines), they are some of the best product out there. Some of the best quality and performance I've seen
WestCoastD is online now Find More Posts by WestCoastD
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
Fire in the hole!

I broke in the new F1 motor last night and she ran perfect! I put a Q40 7.6 prop on and ran 6 or 7 tanks conservatively on 15%. Fired up instantly with no bad habits. This motor is no 426 though, you have to breath on the needle to keep her off the pipe! About 21,000ish stills has a slight burble with plenty of pinch left! This thing is gonna go crazy when we put the Hi-test in! I had to laugh, because when I closed over the venturi it wanted to idle like a kitten. Really feels like a great engine! Make sure you bring ear protection!
Last edited by speedfreak1; Apr 21, 2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Roy_N
United States, WA, Burien
Joined May 2014
36 Posts
I'm getting back into flying RC after many years of not flying. Those pictures from races in the Pacific NW brought back memories. I still have two of Tom Strom's Shoestring kits.
Roy_N is online now Find More Posts by Roy_N
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by maxxnut
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,251 Posts
Hi Roy, my son bought the Airtronics glider from you.... sorry to hear about Tom.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old May 04, 2015, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
Bandito

Well all this F1 buzz here lately got me inspired to fly my Bandito for the first time today! This is the first mid-wing F1 I have flown. It was really responsive and flew awesome! I had to check up a couple of times when I rolled her to make sure which side was up lol Bob Brogdon said this one took a lot of effort to paint with this paint scheme in K&B epoxy. It is smooth, and his extra effort really shows! The wing seems like it must have been about 80% of the build!
Old May 04, 2015, 10:59 AM
DHG
Find More Posts by DHG
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Bob Brogdon said this one took a lot of effort to paint with this paint scheme in K&B epoxy.
Ah, yes, that brings back memories ... from the days when men were men and a multicolor paint job took 2 weeks! No quick-drying catalyzed urethane back then (at least none most of us could afford to mess with at home) so every color & remasking was an overnight project. Beautiful work, though, congrats!

Cheers,
Duane
Old May 04, 2015, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
260 Posts
Thank you Duane! It amazes me how you guys built and painted these planes! I love shiny paint, almost bordering on obsession with it lol, but I have no skill at all doing it! I can't even imagine attempting a checker paint scheme like Dave English did on the Bardaul Toni! Just the tape lines would be a disaster for me, let alone not feeling them when I was done! I am so thankful that some of you do have the talent though, because I sure do love looking at, polishing and flying beautiful planes!!