SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:48 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Brunei, Brunei-Muara, Masin
Joined Nov 2013
130 Posts
Discussion
Building a paramotor

Hi all, first time into these threads...

I have been interested in paramotors for years, got into paragliding about 20 years ago in NZ, but after moving to Europe, never got back into it but while trolling the RC forums I came across this one.

I am a long-term kiter and have half-a-dozen soft foil kites and was wondering how easy it was to convert them into a paramotor - if at all.

The couple i would consider using are 1.5 and 1.8sqM respectively. I hardly ever use them nowadays, being where I live isn't really great for kiting.

I sat down and threw together a quick design for the (harness? chariot? seat?) - I think using something like a sail servo for an RC yacht should give me the throw and torque I need.

Initially I would make it out of coroplast, basically because I have lots of it and all the bits needed to make a fairly light and rigid unit.

So, pipe dream or potential?
immike is offline Find More Posts by immike
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:42 PM
United States, NJ, Toms River
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immike View Post
hi all, first time into these threads...

I have been interested in paramotors for years, got into paragliding about 20 years ago in nz, but after moving to europe, never got back into it but while trolling the rc forums i came across this one.

I am a long-term kiter and have half-a-dozen soft foil kites and was wondering how easy it was to convert them into a paramotor - if at all.

The couple i would consider using are 1.5 and 1.8sqm respectively. I hardly ever use them nowadays, being where i live isn't really great for kiting.

I sat down and threw together a quick design for the (harness? Chariot? Seat?) - i think using something like a sail servo for an rc yacht should give me the throw and torque i need.

Initially i would make it out of coroplast, basically because i have lots of it and all the bits needed to make a fairly light and rigid unit.

So, pipe dream or potential?
check flypg.com..you can buy the gondola kits seperately.. Or just use their design as a guideline..
"popad"has alot of information on this site under "flex 1.7 v3 flypg"..good luck
ROBERT.S is offline Find More Posts by ROBERT.S
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:58 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,516 Posts
Please post anything you try! I'm interested as well in this.
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:26 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Joined Nov 2013
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT.S View Post
check flypg.com..you can buy the gondola kits seperately.. Or just use their design as a guideline..
"popad"has alot of information on this site under "flex 1.7 v3 flypg"..good luck
Thanks but I did want to design and build it myself, for a number of reasons. b) I don't have the money to spend US$150+ on playing with something on the off-chance I like it b) I want to make it myself and experiment - I have 20+ kites of various types. c) I already have everything I need, assuming I can utilise one of the kites.

The mechanics of the chariot aren't difficult. Trading off weight for stability seems to be key - i.e. it has to weigh enough to ensure the kite stays inflated and in shape, but light enough to get off the ground and motor around.

Specifically I wanted to know if I can convert a soft 4-line pocket kite, like an Ozone Quattro or a Flexifoil Buzz, to a paramotor.

I don't have a sewing machine or access to one, but I could take minor alterations to a local tailor, if I had to... but I would rather not alter the kite itself, if possible.
Last edited by immike; Apr 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:45 PM
United States, NJ, Toms River
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
you can buy just the "trike" in the 1st picture for $30 u.s....but I can appreciate you wanting to design & build it yourself...please keep us posted on your progress..thanks,rob
ROBERT.S is offline Find More Posts by ROBERT.S
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:49 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Joined Nov 2013
130 Posts
Quote:
you can buy just the "trike" in the 1st picture for $30 u.s....but I can appreciate you wanting to design & build it yourself...please keep us posted on your progress..thanks,rob
Aha! I didn't realise you could just buy the trike... maybe worth a punt.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2007
208 Posts
I have the FLEX 1.7 I had a difficult time controlling oscillation. I do like the softer flexible chassis design of the Flypg Chassis. I've crash tested it, it has held up well.

I've considered trying the Flypg Chassis with the Opale Oxy 1.0 wing. and maybe experimenting with the softer plastic design

Good luck with this, I always browse to see what others are doing with RC paramotors.

Jack Z.

Quote:
videokahuna is offline Find More Posts by videokahuna
Old May 07, 2014, 02:58 AM
Czech Republic, Central Bohemian Region
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
only for information
http://www.rcparasky.mypage.cz/rc-para-sky/fotogalerie
and
http://www.rcparagliding.cz/
Plachtak is offline Find More Posts by Plachtak