SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:30 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic liner View Post
hmmmm.........according to the current pole numbers, the interest is huge !. Perhaps i should change my username to " the flop " .......not.

Sonic liner
lol!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:54 AM
Registered User
mike_o's Avatar
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
...I think everyone who wants one of these planes would prefer that MPX offered this plane again but we know for certain that this will not happen. The only remaining possibility is a clone....
We can't all be lucky, but it took me less than a week to locate a NIB Sonic Liner, and since the start of this thread I have seen at least 3 or4 available for reasonable prices.

Having flown mine a couple of times now, I can say that I'm very happy with it, and I'd encourage anybody interested in one to search the net for one.

After building and flyng the SL, my appetite for a TwinJet was whetted, and sure enough, I also found one of those. Just finishing the build:

mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
...
After building and flyng the SL, my appetite for a TwinJet was whetted, and sure enough, I also found one of those. ...
Trust me - you won't be disappointed with your TJ.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
hjukhjuk
gooby's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
There's a lot of planes that hobbyking sells that are not nearly as well known or made as the sonic liner. I think more people would trust a multiplex based plane rather than some unknown chinese design with sketchy quality.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I am not picking an argument, just stating the fact, that the Sonicliner was a "Flop".

The Twin-Jet was lighter but it also had a smaller wing area and from a "fighter jet", you expect a different performance than from an airliner.



Jürgen
'Airliner"??? what airliner?

Jurgen we get you aren't a fan of this particular plane ,however many of us think its pretty cool...if someone were to produce a clone ,i'd buy in a heart beat ...of all the planes I've had over the years this one rates as my favorite.brushless motors etc werent always cheap and for many of us unobtainable til prices came down.Someone(you? I dont recall) made an issue about the "need" for 2 esc's ,batteries etc...So? The twinjet and several other multi-motors have the same issue ,why not take them to task as well?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:32 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
'Airliner"??? what airliner?

Jurgen we get you aren't a fan of this particular plane ,however many of us think its pretty cool...if someone were to produce a clone ,i'd buy in a heart beat ...of all the planes I've had over the years this one rates as my favorite.brushless motors etc werent always cheap and for many of us unobtainable til prices came down.Someone(you? I dont recall) made an issue about the "need" for 2 esc's ,batteries etc...So? The twinjet and several other multi-motors have the same issue ,why not take them to task as well?
You changed the Sonicliner into something different. Most didn't.

What makes you think that I am not a fan of this model? I have a kit of the Sonicliner and I even have the Robbe Concorde, a spare kit and two kits of the Robbe Airliner (I consider them classics ).

My Twin-Jet is equipped with two Kontronik FUN400-23 and two Kontronik 40A ESCs, costing about eight times the TJ's kit price.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:05 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
raido56's Avatar
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Hi all, I have one flying S/L and one NIB that will get done this winter. I will get more of them when I find them. Just had to chime in on some of the post of bad info. Here we go.
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Well, Germany might be a lot smaller than the USA, but model flying is much more popular over here.

We have over 100.000 model pilots in Germany, who are member of a model flying organisation. With almost 2000 model flying clubs, the density of model pilots/ flying fields is for sure much higher than in the USA.

Jürgen

The AMA has over 150,000 members and over 2500 clubs here in the USA. Then add in all of the non- AMA members flying here in the US and we have Germany beat hands down.

There is no requirement for a small model, because the most popular vehicle in the US is a pickup truck, while in Europe it is a compact car.
I just stated the fact, that the most popular car in the US is the Ford F-series pickup truck, while in Europe its a compact or even sub-compact car by US standards.
Bad info again. It is not the most popular vehicle in the USA. It is the #1 selling pick up truck in the USA . Not a car It's a pick up then we also have the SUV, cross-over and small pick up trucks.

Here is my S/L with 2- 28x48 2100 Kv B/L inrunners, 2-50 amp ESC's and 6x4 props. I would have to say it hits about 80 MPH at WOT. Also has landing gears and will take off in less than 6 feet no problem. I love to have extra power on all my planes from micro's to 1/4 scale. If I want to fly scale I just pull back on the stick it's that easy. But I like speed my HET ME-163 is hitting about 162 MPH and working on a 200+ ME-163. I also have the Simprop Piaggio Avanti and Super Airliner all with B/L motors. I would never use a brushed motor on anything. Thats just me. And yes they are all way over powered LOL.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:26 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
...
Just had to chime in on some of the post of bad info. Here we go.
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Well, Germany might be a lot smaller than the USA, but model flying is much more popular over here.

We have over 100.000 model pilots in Germany, who are member of a model flying organisation. With almost 2000 model flying clubs, the density of model pilots/ flying fields is for sure much higher than in the USA.

Jürgen

The AMA has over 150,000 members and over 2500 clubs here in the USA. Then add in all of the non- AMA members flying here in the US and we have Germany beat hands down.
...
Well, Herb,

I was not talking about absolute numbers, but popularity and density of our hobby.

The USA has a size of 9.826.675 km², i.e. is 27.5 times bigger than Germany, yet has not even twice as many model flyers. Also Germany has achieved more medals in FAI model flying classes than any other nation in 2012, but this is no p...ng contest, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
...
There is no requirement for a small model, because the most popular vehicle in the US is a pickup truck, while in Europe it is a compact car.
I just stated the fact, that the most popular car in the US is the Ford F-series pickup truck, while in Europe its a compact or even sub-compact car by US standards.
Bad info again. It is not the most popular vehicle in the USA. It is the #1 selling pick up truck in the USA . Not a car It's a pick up then we also have the SUV, cross-over and small pick up trucks. ...
Why don't you check the sales figures?:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...june-2012.html

Still think I provide "bad info"?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:19 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
raido56's Avatar
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Yes .
1) Toyota Corolla (Japan)
1966-Present
Est. Sales-to-Date: 32 million units

2) Ford F-Series (USA)
1948-Present
Est. Sales-to-Date: 30.0 million units


Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,810 Posts
Now that the tone has calmed down a bit ... a few observations.

Those that are unhappy with Jurgen have only yourselfs to blame. You see, you are dealing in generalities about this plane and Jurgen is dealing in specifics. And that, is something that most Americans do not understand about Germans and well, most Europeans. Americans thowe out ball park figures, dreams and aspriations; we Germans throw out specifics and reality of a situation.

As long as you keep quoting Jurgen and then straying away from the facts, he will continue to respond and point out your inconsistencies. Thrust vectoring was used on the Sonicliner in Europe before it was much of a thought here in the U.S. To say the Sonicliner will do better with todays technology ist an inaccurate analaysis. When such global assertions are made, you should not be upset when those with knowledge and experience counter with fact. Fact is fact and if one wishes to say the plane will fly better today because of 2.4 ghz as opposed to FM is as incorrect as saying the plane will fly better today because of lipo battery as opposed to NiMh.

Those here that think the U.S. has a leg up on modeling skill, innovation, clubs, etc .... know little of the European RC community. Many of you would do well to visit the European sites, you will be amazed at what you can learn. You will also be pleased with the friendliness and kindness you will receive.

Myself, I hope HobbyKing or anothe vendor produces the Sonicliner. I would buy one if it had the right price margin und design. Actually, to be most honest, I would love to have one of these in fiberglass but I expect that most would prefer foam.

Now please, keep it friendly.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Now that the tone has calmed down a bit ... a few observations.

Those that are unhappy with Jurgen have only yourselfs to blame. You see, you are dealing in generalities about this plane and Jurgen is dealing in specifics. And that, is something that most Americans do not understand about Germans and well, most Europeans. Americans thowe out ball park figures, dreams and aspriations; we Germans throw out specifics and reality of a situation. ...
LOL

You say this as you make a broad and insulting generality about a country of 300,000+ people.

What's the German word for "comedic irony?"

MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,810 Posts
Naw, not insulting, not at all. See, problem here is you seem to get defensive when someone disagrees with you, your views or your Sonicliner venture. Thus you pick apart statements and become insulting. In my post all you could complain about was difference between attitudes in dealing with facts. That is what you and others did to many of the factually correct statments made in this thread. So be it.

But in fairness to you and others that read this thread, my statment was intended for the contex of this subject. Certainly not all americans throw out ball park figures when discussing any subject, but in this thread, that appears to be the case.

I have no qualms wit you or the Sonicliner; I actually hope it is produced again. My preference would be a fiberglass fuselage, though I doubt I will find one produced in anything other than foam.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:15 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
You changed the Sonicliner into something different. Most didn't.

What makes you think that I am not a fan of this model? I have a kit of the Sonicliner and I even have the Robbe Concorde, a spare kit and two kits of the Robbe Airliner (I consider them classics ).

My Twin-Jet is equipped with two Kontronik FUN400-23 and two Kontronik 40A ESCs, costing about eight times the TJ's kit price.

Jürgen
Well ,first off the Sonicliner never existed as a real aircraft ,so how could I have "changed " it into something different?MPX originally marketed the kit as a airliner ,that doesnt mean however that it must be built as one.The first time I saw the kit I was reminded of an actual US Air Force plane built in the 1960's...the XB-70(first photo -left)Its similarity to another fantasy aircraft (Firefox,center photo)that existed as a movie prop in a movie by the same name,wasn't lost on me .Further.. the twin tail booms,twin engines ,delta wing etc are very reminiscint of many fighter planes...and no airliners I can recall..


Most of your comments made on this thread seem quite derogatory in nature in regards towards the model ,and you seem hell bent on dissing it at every turn...the impression you leave is you don't like the model much .While its admirable you also own one ,that doesnt mean its one of your favs,....i have several planes I thought I'd like that I didnt,including but not limited to a T-28,F4U corsair and a messerschmidtt..ownership doesnt necessarily mean like..
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Darsh's Avatar
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Dadiozz, the sonic liner was a proposed design from boeing around 2000 for a faster commercial aircraft. Airlines instead opted for a more conventional design, that then became the 787. It's all in an article that has been previously linked in the thread (by jurgen, if i'm correct).
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:23 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Dadiozz, the sonic liner was a proposed design from boeing around 2000 for a faster commercial aircraft. Airlines instead opted for a more conventional design, that then became the 787. It's all in an article that has been previously linked in the thread (by jurgen, if i'm correct).
Thank you .I'm well versed in the history of the original concept.Im also quite aware there are many who adopted Fed Ex,TWA and many other airline liveries as the theme of their SL's.There have also been many others that saw the same vision as I ,an exotic "one of a kind " military themed fighter or starfighter.(one version of mine incorporates a wimsical open cockpit ala WWI complete with pilot figure)The truly great thing about the SL kit is that this is one of the very few platforms that works and looks great in either configuration.I've owned 3 so far and am working on acquiring a fourth as we "speak".

BTW, nice canopy on your MQX...is that a Ti -fighter or an x-wing?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Do you spend more time thinking about spending money or making money ? Usta Bee Life, The Universe, and Politics 30 Sep 02, 2014 06:52 PM
Question What do you do to your Duraplane Trainer 40 to make sure wing stays aligned? trevorcgross Combat Fuel Planes 5 Oct 11, 2012 09:51 AM
Discussion Banana and fms. What do you think you are doing? kusunokimasahige Banana Hobby 36 Jul 20, 2012 03:00 PM
Discussion what do you guys think of u can do 3d Evan03 Fuel Plane Talk 15 Apr 30, 2012 12:11 AM
Discussion What do you think about this? Conversion to Lipo on Sumo 1/24 AmazingRCstore Micro Cars 0 Feb 25, 2012 03:18 PM