HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
Discussion
Fixing broken DX6i trim tabs

I broke a trim tab on my DX6i last weekend, I found these things to be poorly designed. Just look at how thin they are.

I found some replacements but I won't get them for some time. I decided to try and fix it anyway, seemed pretty easy. I just took a piece of plastic scrap from a servo horn and used a Dremel tool to cut the shape I needed. Then I glued it in place with CA.

I put it all back together in my DX6i and it worked perfectly. So if you break a trim tab, it's not the end of the world, they are pretty easy to fix. In fact if you want to prevent them from breaking you could put in these supports in advance.

squishy654 is offline Find More Posts by squishy654
Last edited by squishy654; Feb 02, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Great! My good friend has this issue. BUT your photos didn't work! At least for me! Try again?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
East R/C sells some nifty machined aluminum trim tabs to remove this hazard along with a nice aluminum menu wheel. I don't put much stress on my TX, but if its usage increases I'm thinking of spending the dough...those are the weak links in an otherwise sound piece.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Feb 02, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
I have those on order as well, but they won't have a batch made for a while, at least a few weeks as they move their machine shop.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
can you see the pics now?
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:22 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Good on ya,

We can fix anything, this hobby provides us with amazing skills over time.

Glad to hear of your success, I fixed the dual rates switch on my Tx when the propeller of a plane spun at the wrong time and whacked it off.

It was a slide switch with a long paddle. I carefully drilled a hole in what remained of the slide, ca'd in a little piece of music wire. Then I carved a new paddle out of a chopstick, drilled it out for the wire, and ca'd it on.

That was at least ten years ago, I'll post a pic, but no laughing at the technology I am still using, and how dusty/dirty the Tx is. It is almost 15 years old after all, but still works fine, why replace it?

Cheers,
Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:30 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy654 View Post
can you see the pics now?
Pics are up, might as well reinforce the other side while your at it.

I wonder how much money they saved not putting a bit of plastic where you did?

Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
One of my trim tabs broke sometime back and I was going to replace them myself and had HH send me four. When I got the back off and attempted to remove the wiring plug from the back of the pc board I could not get it unplugged. I finally did work it loose but managed to pull a wire out of the plug. So, I sent my TX to HH and owned up to what I had done. They not only replaced the trim tabs they also replaced the gimbals and gave it a thorough check. They charged me nothing for all the work and my DX6i had been out of warranty for years. They even shipped it back to me no charge. I did have to listen to a small lecture about trying to do it myself but that was a small price to pay for all they did for me while they had it.

Allan
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Feb 03, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
I didn't have to unplug anything, I just had to undo 8 screws.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,303 Posts
Yeah, I had one break on me 3 weeks ago. Horizon sent me a replacement for free. Another one broke a few days ago so I called Horizon back and asked for 2 replacements this time. My package arrived yesterday with 3 replacements in it. It never hurts to ask ...

I didn't have to disconnect any wires either. Just separate the halves and leave the back standing up while the face is down. The elevator and throttle tabs have to be dealt with carefully because there is some wiring that has to be worked through.

SB
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:33 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
Yeah, I had one break on me 3 weeks ago. Horizon sent me a replacement for free. Another one broke a few days ago so I called Horizon back and asked for 2 replacements this time. My package arrived yesterday with 3 replacements in it. It never hurts to ask ...

I didn't have to disconnect any wires either. Just separate the halves and leave the back standing up while the face is down. The elevator and throttle tabs have to be dealt with carefully because there is some wiring that has to be worked through.

SB
Just curious - this is an old problem, have the replacement trim tabs been improved in any way? (Do the new DX6i (DSMX) transmitters have the same problem tabs?)
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Yes, as said, the photos are up and well documented for us. THANKS!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:31 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy654 View Post
I didn't have to unplug anything, I just had to undo 8 screws.
Hmmmm...well, I guess the unintended consequence of sending my DX6i back to HH was that they replaced the gimbals while replacing the trim tabs. I'll swear the instructions I used said to remove the wiring connectors. But no harm, no foul and my TX works perfectly. I did buy a DX7 and am wondering if they made any improvement in the trim tab design or just continued to use the same ones as the 6i.
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Feb 03, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
The guys selling the aluminium replacements say they fit many different TX's, I bet all these TX's have the same trim tabs...

Quote:
These Trim Tabs fit the following radios:

Spektrum DX6i
JR Z-1
JR XR2i
JR XR3
JR XR3i
JR x9303
JR xp9303
JR x9503
JR DSX9
JR PCM9x
JR PCM9xII
JR/Graupner MX-22
JR 10x
JR 12x
Graupner MC-19 & "S"
Graupner MC-22 & "S"
Graupner MC-24 & "S"
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Just curious - this is an old problem, have the replacement trim tabs been improved in any way? (Do the new DX6i (DSMX) transmitters have the same problem tabs?)
No, sir. Mine is a DSMX model and the replacement actuators (the Horizon part name) are the exact same as the ones I replaced. I expect them to break next winter.

SB
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB