New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2014, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by ziocarl
Joined May 2012
71 Posts
Discussion
New Blade Nano QX Quad owner needs advice/info on batteries and chargers

Hi all! I'm coming from owning Syma S107Gs where the battery is built into the copter, and would appreciate advice and info on batteries for the Blade Nano QX, which comes with a 1S 3.7V DC Li-Po battery charger and 1S 3.7V 150mAh 25C Li-Po battery.

FYI, here are the charging/flying procedure that I plan to follow:
  • unplug battery as soon as it is charged
  • fly for 5-6 minutes timed
  • wait 15 minutes before recharging (allow battery to cool down)
  • Also wait at least 10 minutes between flights (allow motors to cool down)
Sound good?

Batteries: Admittedly, I don't know much about batteries or chargers. What types of batteries (brand, Mah, etc) would you suggest I get as extras? Things like safety, longevity of battery/motors, power, charge/drain time, would be good to know.

Charger: I've heard the Hitec X4 recommended a couple times. Is this the best option? Is there something cheaper that offers best bang for the buck?

Charging: I feel a little leery plugging the OEM USB charger into my computer. Can I plug that charger into my Apple Iphone 5 or HP tablet USB adapter wall charger? Again, electricity is somewhat big magic to me...I don't fully comprehend the numbers.
Apple charger says input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.15A Output: 5V===1A.
HP charger says input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.4A Output: 5.3V===2A.
Does it matter that the stock charger is rated at 3.7V?

Some basic guidance on which of the numbers above matter would be great. For example what does 1C vs 2C vs 3C mean in regards to batteries.

Thanks.
ziocarl is offline Find More Posts by ziocarl
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2012
71 Posts
Ok, to simplify things (I know I can be long winded ) , how about a recommendation on a set of 4 to 6 batteries for the QX and a best bang for the buck charger to work with them?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by cprofitt
Just getting started
Joined Nov 2014
53 Posts
I am looking for advice as well. I am leaning towards buying the Hitec X4 as well beacuse it allows me to change the rate in addition to charging four batteries at a time.

I am considering the following batteries:
Really curious what the highest mAh rating is that I could get in to a Nano QX and if that would result in longer flight time.

My current stock battery is having some 'issues'. I was getting 6:30 seconds of flight time when the Nano QX was new, but I am getting as low as 4 and as much as 6:15 after roughly 40 flights. I have replaced the frame (broke one of the blade guard arms) and I take care to check the motors / blades after each flight. I was still getting the 6:15 flight time after replacing the frame so I do not think that is a 'cause'. I am curious if the inconsistent results are the result of an impending battery failure or something else.

On a second not I have a 4 port USB charger that has 5v1a and 5v2.1a ports; which one would be preferred for charging the batteries?

Thanks

Thanks.
cprofitt is offline Find More Posts by cprofitt
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
10,001 Posts
you guys may have better luck asking on the Nano QX dedicated thread which should be located somewhere here: http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...ltirotors-790/
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
....I am curious if the inconsistent results are the result of an impending battery failure or something else.

I have seen with those USB chargers the results of whether you get a full charge or not get a little flakey as batteries age and the Internal Resistance goes up.

The Eflite brand ones that came with an mSR showed a fair bit of fatigue after around 40 flights or so like you are at. Many EFlite batteries are some of the worst I have had for lifespan, especially the micros.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:42 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
Really curious what the highest mAh rating is that I could get in to a Nano QX and if that would result in longer flight time.

I'm guessing you physically don't have the room for all that bigger of a battery?

By the nature of the way a quad has to use more power to the motors to lift every gram of extra weight, putting bigger batteries in does not net huge gains in flight times. ie: A battery with twice the capacity will not give you double the flight time. Much energy is used just lifting the battery. Maybe you would get an extra 20 or 30% longer flight time. All depends on how much of the total quad weight is already battery.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:43 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocarl View Post
....Can I plug that charger into my Apple Iphone 5 or HP tablet USB adapter wall charger?..
I have used those type of charger in USB wall adapters. Seemed fine.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:47 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Apple charger says input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.15A Output: 5V===1A.
HP charger says input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.4A Output: 5.3V===2A.
Does it matter that the stock charger is rated at 3.7V?

Stock Nano charger is showing you what the nominal rating is for the output to the battery.

Your wall chargers are showing what is nominal output of the USB socket, which happens to be the same as the USB port on your computer, and that is the input voltage for your Nano charger.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:49 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,579 Posts
Quote:
......what does 1C vs 2C vs 3C mean in regards to batteries.

Thanks.
http://www.revolectrix.com/tech_data...y_C_Rating.htm

Battery C Rating - The C rating of a battery (or cell) is used to indicate the continuous current draw (amps) the cell will support. By multiplying the C rating times the cell capacity in milliamperehours (mAh), the continuous current in milliamperes (mA) of a cell is easily calculated. Example - For a 2000 mAh battery with a 15C rating, the continuous current that may be drawn out of the battery is 2000 mAh x 15 = 30000 mA, or 30 Amps (A) (divide by 1000). There is also another rating that is applicable to a battery known as peak or "burst" current discharge rating. Peak current is higher than continuous C rating. It indicates that a battery will deliver higher current than the C rating for brief instances. For ease of calculations, LiPo Calc does not take peak current into account. This figure varies widely with battery type and in most applications is not required for calculating a suitable battery pack configuration. Instead, LiPo Calc calculates battery pack configurations such that current draw will never exceed the continous C rating of the battery. Of course, the calculation is only as good as the inputs supplied, so make certain to enter an accurate number in the Amps field. If you aren't sure how many amps your specific motor/prop/gear train configuration pulls, use an amp meter to measure the current draw between the motor and the ESC in static condition using a known good power source of approximately the same voltage as the LiPo configuration you intend to use. Put that number into the Amps field.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 09:35 AM
Joined May 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Stock Nano charger is showing you what the nominal rating is for the output to the battery.

Your wall chargers are showing what is nominal output of the USB socket, which happens to be the same as the USB port on your computer, and that is the input voltage for your Nano charger.
Thanks, but which is the same as my computer; the 1A or 2A charger, or is anything in that range okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
http://www.revolectrix.com/tech_data...y_C_Rating.htm

Battery C Rating - The C rating of a battery (or cell) is used to indicate the continuous current draw (amps) the cell will support. By multiplying the C rating times the cell capacity in milliamperehours (mAh), the continuous current in milliamperes (mA) of a cell is easily calculated. Example - For a 2000 mAh battery with a 15C rating, the continuous current that may be drawn out of the battery is 2000 mAh x 15 = 30000 mA, or 30 Amps (A) (divide by 1000). There is also another rating that is applicable to a battery known as peak or "burst" current discharge rating. Peak current is higher than continuous C rating. It indicates that a battery will deliver higher current than the C rating for brief instances. For ease of calculations, LiPo Calc does not take peak current into account. This figure varies widely with battery type and in most applications is not required for calculating a suitable battery pack configuration. Instead, LiPo Calc calculates battery pack configurations such that current draw will never exceed the continous C rating of the battery. Of course, the calculation is only as good as the inputs supplied, so make certain to enter an accurate number in the Amps field. If you aren't sure how many amps your specific motor/prop/gear train configuration pulls, use an amp meter to measure the current draw between the motor and the ESC in static condition using a known good power source of approximately the same voltage as the LiPo configuration you intend to use. Put that number into the Amps field.
Am I right in assuming that higher Cs will mean more power and shorter flying time for the same mAh rated battery?
So based on the current draw of the QX, how many Cs can I go up to? Cprofitt mentioned some batteries that were 25C That seems insanely high.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 09:43 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, but which is the same as my computer; the 1A or 2A charger, or is anything in that range okay?
The AMP ratings are just showing maximum they will deliver. Your battery charger will draw what it needs, the power supply will not "push" amperage. Anything that is capable of at least what you require will be fine. There will be negligible difference with one rated at 5.3V and the other at 5V.

Am I right in assuming that higher Cs will mean more power and shorter flying time for the same mAh rated battery?
So based on the current draw of the QX, how many Cs can I go up to? Cprofitt mentioned some batteries that were 25C That seems insanely high.
The larger C rating means the battery is capable of delivering more power. The quad will still draw the same current (amps) that it needs. Again, the higher rated battery will not "push" more amps. The higher rated battery will do the same work and last the same amount of flight time for a given mah size but since it is capable of more it will not be used as hard and may have a longer life (as in the number of times you can charge/discharge it before it starts to wear out).
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420
Joined Dec 2012
278 Posts
These eflite 45c batteries work great. About $7 each. I fly my nano qx back to back batteries all the time. Have over 150 flights with no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/flite-B1501S45.../dp/B00EJK9A7Q
CrashnBurn420 is offline Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420