Old Aug 23, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndcoffman View Post
So, what size APC prop are you using? And what receiver are you using?
Its a 15x6E and the receiver is an AR7010. Also forgot to add that I'm using a Castle BEC too.

And here are some better pictures of my color scheme, but its still under construction.... keep adding bits here and there as ideas come to me.

Basically I am covering all the areas of purple with black and then modifying from there. Always liked Red, White, Black combo.
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by time907356
United States, SC, Woodruff
Joined May 2015
199 Posts
Glad to find this thread too!
I picked up a Splendor from an 'over-endowed' club guy this weekend; my first e-flite plane. Flies really well; on par, or even more stable than my 1.75M (nitro) with the AS3X in a little breeze.
Question though: The prop/motor has this buzz that keeps cropping up. The previous owner said it usually only happened at the beginning of the flight, and when voltage dipped a little bit, it quit.
Well, he gave me a e-flite 4400mAh battery, and it initially buzzed, then quit, like he said. Then, he bagan to think the prop was unbalanced. We flew two more times, and no problems. the 4th flight, the buzz hit really hard at the bottom of an outside loop, and the motor stopped breifly. They throttled back and it restarted (I wasn't flying) Some of the other guys thought the esc might be going bad.
Other than the battery, everything else is stock. Anyone else had this issue?
time907356 is offline Find More Posts by time907356
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by jrtubb
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,925 Posts
Could be the ESC, but I would cut off rhe on/ switch first and seal the wires. Do not tie them together.

I took my Splendor out today, flew like a champ.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:16 AM
Joined May 2015
199 Posts
We put an amp meter on the motor, and found it pulled 65A on a 60A esc. We then throttle limited back to 77% to keep the draw around 56A max, and it hasn't vibrated since (4 flights)
A new Turnigy 80A esc is on the way! The power loss of those last 8A is very noticeable...but I didn't miss the opportunity to order 2 more 6s packs...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by FASSTFLIER
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
32 Posts
If you want to improve the colors on your Splendor and make it more hangar rash resistant, and strengthen areas subject to wear... without adding weight...use Elmer's PROBOND Advanced. I paint the nose area, leading edges and the hatch with it with a small paint brush. It goes on with a gray-blue color but dries crystal clear. It really enhances the colors and does toughen the foam. I do the same on my CZ Cub and Rare Bear.
FASSTFLIER is offline Find More Posts by FASSTFLIER
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:13 AM
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
32 Posts
What Paint R U Using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Its a 15x6E and the receiver is an AR7010. Also forgot to add that I'm using a Castle BEC too.

And here are some better pictures of my color scheme, but its still under construction.... keep adding bits here and there as ideas come to me.

Basically I am covering all the areas of purple with black and then modifying from there. Always liked Red, White, Black combo.
I sure like the black on your Splendor. Please advise what paint you are using. I don't want to use anything which would damage the foam.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:13 AM
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
32 Posts
FMS F3A Olympus WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richh73 View Post
That looks like a winner.
This is just what I've been looking for. I really like my Splendor and wish they were still available. Splendor is sort of a hybrid design...part F3A and part 3D...so it has a split personality. The Olympus makes no pretense to be 3D. I know I gotta get one of these.
Best Regards
JC in Texas
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:01 PM
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
32 Posts
QUESTION: Is the overall quality and fit of the FMX F3A comparable to the E-flite Splendor?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by smking0656
United States, PA, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2008
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASSTFLIER View Post
This is just what I've been looking for. I really like my Splendor and wish they were still available. Splendor is sort of a hybrid design...part F3A and part 3D...so it has a split personality. The Olympus makes no pretense to be 3D. I know I gotta get one of these.
Best Regards
JC in Texas

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2490445
smking0656 is offline Find More Posts by smking0656
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by jrtubb
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,925 Posts
The FMS is a very nice plane about the same quality as the Splendor.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
Old Aug 30, 2015, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2007
2,375 Posts
Quote:
I sure like the black on your Splendor. Please advise what paint you are using. I don't want to use anything which would damage the foam.
I used a Sharpie paint marker for small stuff and enamel paint for the big areas. Honestly I don't see any paint eating this foam, cause like I said, it looks "sealed" with a clear coat or something. Nothing I used caused the slightest issue and I haven't had paint eating foam issues for almost a decade now... seems like that common problem has been solved by a lot of the foam manufactures these days. I commonly use Rustoleum and Krylon from the local hardware store and haven't had a single issue in so long I've forgotten the last time I had to worry about it.
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM
Joined May 2015
199 Posts
Quote:
Best Regards
JC in Texas
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2436510
Old Today, 10:14 AM
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
32 Posts
Thanks for the info on the FMS F3A and on the paint. Much appreciated