Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 02, 2006, 01:39 PM
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Oct 2000
34 Posts
Discussion
Tethered flight

Many years ago, I built a model (I can't remember what it was) that had instructions that it could be flown tethered with an .020. I have just recently started building some freeflight scale aircraft but I have limited flying space. Does anyone know how I should go about flying some of these planes on a tether (either electric or co2 powered) or should I just begin the process of trial and error.
Rojo is offline Find More Posts by Rojo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2006, 03:12 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,209 Posts
Connect the tether line to a point no more than 20% back from the leading edge. Or if it's a tapered wing at a point equivalent to 20% of the way back on the MAC.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 02, 2006, 07:44 PM
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Oct 2000
34 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I may even try round the pole if I can locate all the necessary parts. I'm just trying to find a way to enjoy models in my back yard without resorting to helis or 3D flying.
Old May 02, 2006, 09:56 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Another hint! Attach the tether to the RIGHThand wingtip, then the engine torque pulls the model out of the weeds and keeps line tension. Personal experience...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old May 02, 2006, 10:14 PM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
699 Posts
There's a good RTP article with illustrations on this site

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...arthy_rtp.html

and the complete setup from this guy is cheaper than I could build it. Shipping to the US may not make it so.

http://www.southcom.com.au/~rtpelectrix/

Hope these are of some help with regard to RTP.
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old May 02, 2006, 10:16 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,209 Posts
Use a ball bearing stuck down onto a wood pole and add a screw type of hose clamp around the outer race. Then tie off your line to the screw housing or use the clamp to hold a loop of something to the bearing so you can tie to that. Simple, cheap and very low drag. If it's sealed then pry out the seals and hose out the insides with a bit of solvent and use a light oil to lube it.

And kudos to avoiding that dirty, filty RC stuff....

If you're looking for good prices and service on battery orders I can heartily recomend www.cheapbatterypacks.com . I've ordered from them twice and the order was shipped pronto and the prices are great.
Old May 03, 2006, 12:05 PM
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Oct 2000
34 Posts
Thank you all for the great info, I still fly RC (I've been flying gliders and electric only since the 80's) but I recently built a freeflight airplane for a school competition with my son and the satisfaction of trimming it for successful flights was the most fun I have had in years. I fly a jet for a living, but I'd much rather spend an hour in an Aeronca champ on a grass field than fly another ILS into JFK. I'm afraid I might be hooked on this area of modeling. Does anyone know a source for RTP supplies in the US? I got no response when I tried to contact Skonkworks, I'm not sure they are still in buisness.
Old May 03, 2006, 03:06 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,209 Posts
You're on the edge with this area. I seriously doubt that there's more than a dozen folks in all of North America that fly tethered non control line models as you're wanting to do. It used to be popular in Europe back in the 50 and 60 as something to do indoors over the rainy winters but it never really caught on outside of that niche. At least the model magazines never had a lot about it.
Old May 04, 2006, 03:26 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,258 Posts
RTP was popular in my club for a bit of fun in winter up to a couple of years ago. Mainly we flew RTP electrics with power down the lines but one or two people tried tethered FF models. Then we lost our clubroom, the new one isn't big enough and if you have to hire a space you might as well fly conventional indoor FF and RC .

I believe Ballards still sell all the gear and will ship overseas http://www.ballardshop.com/ but for the relatively heavy bits like transformers, poles and ball races it's probably easier and cheaper to source your own locally. Obviously if you're just flying tethered models with their own internal power you only need a single ballrace and can use something light like Kevlar thread rather than copper wire for the tether.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick