Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
Discussion
what is the most crash resistant micro airplane?

I want to buy a micro airplane that does not have a prop on the nose that could break, or could break the shaft. I would like something along the lines of the UMX habu, the delta ray, or the duet. any other suggestions under $150? Keep in mind that I want an indoor\parkflyer and the plane does NOT need to come from hobbyking, horizon hobby, or any other major company.
Thanks.
Wallace Waggner
Wallace Waggner is offline Find More Posts by Wallace Waggner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:58 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,107 Posts
what have you flown so far?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:50 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Even though the prop is on the front, a Champ is pretty resilient. If your in trouble, pull down the throttle and let go of the sticks and it will pretty much land by itself without harm. Just fly at a large grass field and resist the urge to fly in any wind until you get the hang of things. It will fly indoors and in a small area fine once you get a grip on the basics.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:58 AM
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
I've flown a night vapor, an ember 2, and a flite test versa wing. I was severely under-qualified for the latter, so I want to get back into indoor foamies. Plus I would get to fly with my dad more, because he flies a night vapor too!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:29 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,107 Posts
i second the Champ. the Delta Ray would be good but you need more space than for the Champ. a Champ should be fine in a large indoor space (gym, etc.) but i doubt the Delta Ray would.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:41 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
626 Posts
I have crash my 3 champs so many times I can't count them. Never had to replace prop or shaft. A ll 3 motors still run , there is no plane that fly's as well and as cheap to repair as the champ. The price is very good also if your on a budget. Some tape and ca safe glue and lets go flying . There are many plane's that fly as good as a champ till there repaired than good luck getting them to fly after that.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Kids Day 182 tail broken
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:35 PM
Registered Newbie
Joined Jul 2014
29 Posts
As a newbie with about 3 months of stick time, I'd have to vote for the Champ as a 1st plane. I started out with it and it's still flying with all the original parts. If you put a little tape under the nose it will help protect it from scrapes when you nose it over. Also a little packing tape under the landing gear struts will prevent those from gouging into the fuse on landing.

My second plane is the P-51D. It was quite a bit out of balance out of the box and took a bit of a beating before I got it flying right. Experience builder for sure. I learned a lot about mechanically adjusting the push rods before the ESC went out and elevator stuck in full up and the ailerons quit. Sent it in to HH and they sent me a whole new plane which flies great! Talk about creating customer loyalty!!! I expected (hoped for) a new esc in my taped up hulk and wound up with a new bird.

I also have the UM T-28 which is what I'd actually recommend for a 1st 4 channel. It is quite easy to fly and tends to be more forgiving than the P-51. Planning on ordering the UMX Corsair next week and I've already pre-ordered the Spacewalker. The customer service of HH has hurried my order of the Corsair. After what they did for me with no questions, the least I can do is thank them with more business (and say nice things on the forum LOL)!

If ChuckTSeeker reads this: My wife has taken to saying, "Not that guy again" when I watch your videos. She can't stop me though! Like your reviews on youtube.
BlukeSky is online now Find More Posts by BlukeSky
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
Just getting into the hobby as well and I only have a champ and t-28 and I would also vote for the champ.

Very light and will almost float about you at low speeds.
RC_planefan is online now Find More Posts by RC_planefan
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
thanks so much
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Nov 2013
3 Posts
WLToys F939

I would also recommend the Champ as a "crash proof" beginner plane. It was my first RC plane and still flies perfectly today after many crashes. However, it's 3 channel and is limited in what it can do.

If you are feeling adventurous, try this little 4 channel budget plane from China (clone of the UMX Pole Cat). It's the WLToys F939. Have a little video HERE, crashed it many times and it keeps going. There is an RTF version and a BNF version. The BNF binds to a Turnigy 9x. If you don't use the stock transmitter, downside is that you got to bind it everytime you change batteries.
kooshking is offline Find More Posts by kooshking
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:25 PM
Joined Mar 2014
70 Posts
The Champ: I've crashed mine a million times and it's always repairable.

I'd also suggest E-Flite's Ultra Micro Radian. I just bought it yesterday, and it is hands down the easiest plane to fly, plus it's very simple….not much you can break on it but the wing. The prop is a collapsing prop, so as long as you turn it off before you land, you're not going to break it at all. I love the UM Radian and highly recommend it.
smittyboy is online now Find More Posts by smittyboy