HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2014, 09:02 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Question
Solvent? For removing paint from windows of rc car body to make clear

I have a rc car with a lexan body, painted (silkscreened?) from the inside, with a sticker on the outside. The actual body is for an Axial Ridgecrest.

What I want accomplish is clear windows, by removing the sticker & maybe removing the paint from the inside. Is there something I can put on the paint that will remove the paint but not hurt the plastic, leaving the window clear? I could sand it, but it wouldn't end up very clear. Any ideas?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Mar 06, 2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: removed repeated sentence, more coherent
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:16 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,811 Posts
If you have a scrap of the body you could try some different solvents like acetone of lacquer thinner. Actually sanding could be a solution. Use 1000 grit or finer and then spray a clear paint on the window. It will turn clear again.. I've used worn out 600 grit with good results also. Just be sure to sand with water to lube the sandpaper.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
If you have a scrap of the body you could try some different solvents like acetone of lacquer thinner. Actually sanding could be a solution. Use 1000 grit or finer and then spray a clear paint on the window. It will turn clear again.. I've used worn out 600 grit with good results also. Just be sure to sand with water to lube the sandpaper.

Ken
I recently used a similar process to sand the old graphics off the inside of a lexan rear wing for a 1/24 car. Except I just sanded it with fine grit, painted it & sealed the paint with clearcoat. The point is, the color looks great through the topside of the spoiler with no scratches just nice a solid color.

On the Ridgecrest body I think I'm going to try like you are saying by sanding and clear coat. I hope the clear coat doesn't yellow over time.

Thank you. I'll post it up here if it turns out.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:30 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Use Spray on Oven Cleaner. Wont hurt the plastic and will remove all the paint. Be cautious though... first dab a bit on an inconspicuous area.
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:55 AM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Testors ELO. It's made to do just that on plastic. Albeit a little pricey.
LAR43 is offline Find More Posts by LAR43
Old Apr 08, 2014, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
I actually ended up using the sanding/clearcoat method, I forgot to give an update how it worked out. I think it works pretty good actually. But my problem was that I used a leftover can of clearcoat, and it splattered instead of spraying. So I said what the heck, so I laid the splatter on thick and went with it. It's a little thick, so it's not perfectly transparent, but it's decent with things close to the window itself but forget looking through to the next window. I think it would've worked out better with a good can of clearcoat.

I would definitely be interested in trying the other 2 methods listed in this thread. I still have another trekker body to experiment with, and a few other bigger bodies I'd like to do also.
Last edited by finguz; Apr 08, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2014, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
vettster, how long do you leave the cleaner on for?

LAR43, I'll look into that stuff. It might be worth it for me to just start over with a clear body if the stuff is too pricey.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
It's about 10.00-12.00 a pint but it goes a long way.
LAR43 is offline Find More Posts by LAR43
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:33 AM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
DO NOT use acetone or any type of thinner on polycarbonate! Thinners will at the very least haze up the plastic, and acetone will reduce it to a puddle of nondescript goo.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old May 09, 2014, 01:42 AM
Joined Aug 2013
36 Posts
Automotive Brake Fluid works the best. I will also remove the stickers on the out side of the body.
fcox04 is offline Find More Posts by fcox04